In need of a defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator now that Tosh Lupoi is a no-go, USC coach Steve Sarkisian said on Sunday that he would pursue former Trojans assistant Ed Orgeron for a possible staff position.
“I am going to pursue Ed here one more time,” Sarkisian told the “Trojan Brunch” show on ESPNLA 710. “I thought about him again after the game on the ride home. I think when emotions get settled down, and I know that was an emotional time for Ed and not getting named the head coach when he thought he should have been deservedly so, I would have felt the same way. When the emotions settle down, Ed’s a great Trojan and he’s meant a lot to the Trojan family and if we can have that opportunity for him to be part of this football program and be here with us, we’d love to have him.”
Orgeron was the defensive line coach for USC from 1998 until 2005 and also from 2010 until this fall. When Lane Kiffin was fired in late September, Orgeron took over as the interim coach and guided the team to six wins in its final eight games. When Sarkisian was given the head job in early December, a clearly disappointed Orgeron — who wanted the head job — left the program.
Some USC players have a clear emotional investment in Orgeron. Several had “Coach O” scrawled on their taped-up wrists at the Las Vegas Bowl. Bringing Orgeron back would be an emotional lift to a program still trying to rebound from a tumultuous season.
Sarkisian also confirmed earlier reports that offensive coordinator Clay Helton will be retained as on staff.
“We haven’t announced it officially but I am excited to know he is going to be part of the staff,” Sarkisian said. “I think Clay has done just a tremendous job the second half of the season with that offense, with Cody [Kessler], distributing the football to a lot of different players, scoring points, running the football, getting the running backs involved in the passing game and how he handled being the interim coach the last few weeks in a difficult time where there’s a lot of emotion in that locker room. I thought Clay did a masterful job of getting them ready to play and ultimately putting on a great performance.”
Helton joins receivers coach Tee Martin as the only holdovers (so far) from Kiffin’s staff.
It’s been a rough slate for the “dudes” at Boston College the past few years.
The Eagles are 3-4 with very few wins over FBS teams the past two seasons and are on a 12 game losing streak in ACC play. N.C. State, Louisville, Florida State, UConn and Wake Forest are coming up on the schedule and so it goes without saying that winning three of those in order to make it to a bowl game in 2016 is going to be tough.
Even with that run of losses in the league and a second straight year without a postseason berth, it appears unlikely for the school will make a move to fire head coach Steve Addazio according to USA Today‘s Dan Wolken.
Addazio, who is 20–25 overall in Chestnut Hill, has two things working in his favor per the report: a decently-sized buyout at a school with some tight purse strings and the potential for having a new athletic director after Brad Bates’ contract expires next year.
“In other words, there’s a school of thought at Boston College that it might just be better from a timing perspective to give Addazio one more chance to turn it around and start fresh with a new athletics director next year,” writes Wolken.
It probably isn’t what Boston College fans want to hear after two 7-6 seasons have given way to potential two years without a bowl under Addazio and one of the most frustrating offenses in the country to watch on a weekly basis. Perhaps the head coach can turn things around in the coming weeks and months but it probably helps lessen the pressure knowing he’ll at least have some additional time to get the program back on track.
When USA Today released their annual series on college football coaching salaries, it wasn’t a complete shock to see Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh top the list given how much the school has invested in him since he returned to Ann Arbor from the NFL.
What was a little surprising was the total compensation figure listed for the Wolverines’ head coach at a whopping $9,004,000. That’s a figure that’s more than $2 million more than the second highest paid coach (Nick Saban) and $3 million more than Big Ten rival Urban Meyer.
As it turns out, that lofty salary is mostly the result of the way Harbaugh’s contract is structured and due to roughly $4 million in insurance premium payments on top of his standard half a million salary. But that’s not going to be the coach’s final compensation number at all this year as he has a chance to top the $10 million mark through a variety of bonuses.
Per USA Today:
- $125,000 if the team plays in the Big Ten Conference championship.
- $125,000 if the team wins the Big Ten title game.
- $300,000 if the team plays in a College Football Playoff semifinal.
- $500,000 if the team wins the national championship.
- $50,000 for being voted Big Ten coach of the year by the conference’s coaches.
- $75,000 for winning any one of six national coach of the year awards.
- At athletics director Warde Manuel’s discretion, up to $150,000 based on the team’s academic performance, as long as its single-year and multi-year NCAA Academic Progress Rate figures are at least 960.
Michigan is ranked No. 2 in the country and has a fairly clear path to the College Football Playoff and national title game if they keep playing like they have so it’s not hard to see Harbaugh hitting most of those bonuses to become the sport’s first $10 million man.
While fans at many other schools may throw their hands up in disgust as a result of those figures, you can bet maize and blue fans believe Harbaugh to be worth every single penny.
Not surprisingly, Duke will be without one of its biggest and most productive threats in the passing game this weekend.
In releasing the injury report ahead of Saturday’s game against Georgia Tech, the Blue Devils confirmed that Anthony Nash will not play against the Yellow Jackets. The wide receiver suffered a broken clavicle during the Oct. 14 loss to Louisville.
There’s no timetable for the redshirt senior’s return.
Nash currently leads the Blue Devils in receiving yards (398) and yards per reception (13.7). His two receiving touchdowns are tied for second on the team.
Prior to the injury, Nash had started 16 consecutive games.
In a statement Wednesday night, Memphis head coach Mike Norvell confirmed that he has indefinitely suspended wide receiver Jae’Lon Oglesby and cornerback Kam Prewitt from his football program.
The teammates were reportedly involved in an on-campus physical altercation Tuesday. Later that day, several gunshots were fired into Oglesby’s car while the receiver was sitting in his apartment. Oglesby told police he did not see who fired the shots, but did indicate that he had been involved in the altercation with Prewitt.
No one has been arrested in connection to either incident, and Memphis police are currently investigating the situation.
“I will make no further comments on this matter while it remains under investigation,” the Tigers coach said in his statement. Norvell’s decision to suspend the players came after consultation with athletic director Tom Bowen.
Bowen said in his own statement that the university has “offered our full support to the local authorities investigating that incident.”
The past two seasons, Oglesby, a sophomore, has caught 25 passes for 213 yards and a touchdown. Five of those catches and 46 of the yards have come in 2016. He also has carried the ball eight times for 64 yards.
A redshirt freshman, Prewitt has yet to play a down for the Tigers. According to the Commercial Appeal he was suspended during summer camp for undisclosed reasons.