Skip to content

Bruce Ellington one of four Gamecocks going pro

Bruce Ellington AP

South Carolina expected to lose three standout members of its defense to early entry into the NFL draft.  Friday, they lost one on the offensive side as well.

As expected, and in a couple of cases as has been previously reported, defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles and cornerback Victor Hampton “will forego their final year of college eligibility and take their talents to the next level,” as the school put it in its release.

Additionally, USC confirmed that wide receiver Bruce Ellington is leaving along with his defensive teammates.

Ellington, who also played on the men’s basketball team as well, led the Gamecocks with 49 receptions for 775 yards and eight touchdowns in 2013.  Having received his degree this past December, the receiver thanked all of those who helped prepare him for this next step in his life.

“I would like to thank Coach Spurrier, Coach Horn and Coach Martin for giving me the opportunity to play both football and basketball at South Carolina,” said Ellington. “I also want to thank all the Gamecock fans and my teammates for the past four years in Columbia. It’s been a great experience and I’ve been truly blessed.”

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, South Carolina Gamecocks, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
7 Responses to “Bruce Ellington one of four Gamecocks going pro”
  1. classyjacklambert says: Jan 3, 2014 5:55 PM

    He earned his spot Wednesday with those sick catches.

  2. floridacock says: Jan 3, 2014 6:49 PM

    Good luck Bruce and thanks for the fabulous career! You have been a great example for the youngsters. GO GAMECOCKS!

  3. rhinojr says: Jan 3, 2014 8:26 PM

    USC is Southern California NOT South Carolina!!!!

  4. davidsmj22 says: Jan 3, 2014 9:44 PM

    Univ of Southern Cal claiming USC is laughable. The Gamecocks are the real USC… USC was a college before California was a state… And southern cal has been a joke lately

  5. keltictim says: Jan 4, 2014 7:34 AM

    I think you guys need to make a correction or two. Connor shaw makes 5, so that’s 2 in the offensive side of the ball.

  6. kplaya says: Jan 4, 2014 10:17 AM

    Conner is a senior

  7. keltictim says: Jan 4, 2014 3:43 PM

    Yea Connor is a senior. Your point? The article is about the gamecocks going into the draft, not about underclass men going into the draft. While Connor hasn’t officially declared, the passion he shows for the game doesn’t just go away, if he has a chance he will keep playing.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!