Charlie Strong

Charlie Strong officially named Texas head coach

It’s official: Charlie Strong has been named the new head coach of the Texas Longhorns, the school’s athletic director Steve Patterson announced on Sunday.

Strong replaces Mack Brown, who stepped down in December after coaching in Austin since 1998.

“I’m excited and my family is excited to have the chance to lead one of the premier football programs in the country,” Strong said. “Texas is one of those places that is always on your radar and a program anyone would dream of being a part of because you have a chance to compete on a national level every year. It’s special because it has such great history, pride, tradition and passion for football.”

Strong also paid his dues to his former employer.

“This was a difficult decision because the University of Louisville gave me my first opportunity as a head coach,” Strong said. “I have so much respect for President (James) Ramsey and (Athletics Director) Tom Jurich. They have been great to me and my family, and it was very hard to say goodbye, but they know this was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.”

Strong spent four seasons at Louisville and amassed a 37-15 record with a pair of Big East Conference Championships (2011, 2012). He was named Big East Coach of the Year in both 2010 and 2012. Strong is the only coach in Louisville history to win three bowl games and prior to his arrival, the Cards had won just six bowl games in the program’s 100-year history.

Texas will hold a press conference on Monday to introduce Strong as its head coach.

‘Canes down three starters for Thursday night game vs. Hokies

MIAMI GARDENS, FL - OCTOBER 17: Brenden Motley #9 of the Virginia Tech Hokies escapes a tackle from Chad Thomas #9 of the Miami Hurricanes during a game  at Sun Life Stadium on October 17, 2015 in Miami Gardens, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)