The NCAA slammed the hammer on Penn State two summers ago with a four-year postseason ban, the massive loss of scholarships and tacked on an option for players to get a free transfer and a $60 million fine. At the time it was thought Penn State would never be the same again, and perhaps in a sense that will remain true. On Saturday Penn State proved the program will find a way to survive by hiring James Franklin, one of the best possible coaching candidates to be had in the most recent round of the college football coaching carousel.
The hire that had been reported for days finally became official Saturday morning after a compensation committee at Penn State voted on the contract offered to Franklin. Within the same hour Franklin met with his Vanderbilt football players and program to address them one final time. Franklin accumulated a 24-15 record at Vanderbilt over the last three seasons after leaving Maryland as an assistant coach. Franklin succeeds Bill O’Brien, who left Penn State to coach the Houston Texans.
“I can’t tell you how excited I am to come home,” Franklin, a Pennsylvania native and former quarterback at East Stroudsburg University, stated. “I grew up watching Penn State football and now to be at the helm of such a storied program is a tremendous honor. It’s important to me to be a part of a University that strives for excellence in everything they do. When football student-athletes come to Penn State, they have a unique opportunity to receive a premium education while playing at the highest level of competition.”
O’Brien proved to be a solid hire for Penn State in one of the most difficult situations any football program has faced. O’Brien thrived by bringing a new look to the offense and standing up for the program in the face of tremendous adversity for the program. In two years O’Brien made the Penn State job a much more desirable and lucrative position by winning football games despite the sanctions. Two winning seasons kept Penn State’s head above water. It will now be Franklin’s task to lift the life-preserver out of the water.
Penn State still has two seasons left of NCAA sanctions, although he will have scholarships return to his new program ahead of schedule after some reconsideration from the NCAA in light of the most recent George Mitchell review. Penn State currently has two more years on their postseason ban, but there is always a chance the NCAA will scale that back at some point if the program and university continue to prove worthy of the consideration. Franklin will have to assume he inherits a two-year postseason ban but the groundwork is now laid for him to lead Penn State out of the mess left behind by the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
Details of the contract will be revealed at a later time. Franklin is scheduled to be formally introduced as the next head coach later Saturday afternoon. It is expected details of the contract will be shared at that time. A previous report suggested Franklin will make $4.5 million to become the second highest paid coach in the Big Ten behind Ohio State’s Urban Meyer.
When Derwin James went down with a torn meniscus in Week 2, Florida State had the Clemson game circled as a potential date for a return. Unfortunately for both the player and the team, that won’t be the case.
On his weekly call-in show Wednesday night, Jimbo Fisher confirmed that James and his surgically-repaired knee will not play in the Seminoles’ game this Saturday against the Tigers. There is still no timetable for the sophomore safety’s return.
“Hopefully Derwin will be back here soon,” the head coach said.
One thing apparently off the table is a redshirt for James as Fisher said if the defensive back can return at any point this season he will.
The Clemson game will mark the sixth straight missed by James. FSU will close out the regular season against North Carolina State (Nov. 5), Boston College (Nov. 11), Syracuse (Nov. 19) and Florida Nov. 26).
In less than two full games this season, James was credited with 11 tackles and also has an interception.
As a true freshman last season, James’ 91 tackles were second only to Reggie Northrup’s 94. He was also second on the team in tackles for loss (9.5) and sacks (4.5).
For that, he was named a consensus freshman All-American and third-team All-ACC. This offseason, he was named to the Bednarik Award, Nagurski Trophy and Thorpe Award watch lists, and is widely considered one of the most talented players on the defensive side of the ball in the country.
As Florida Atlantic looks to put a halt to a six-game losing streak, tied with Bowling Green, Fresno State and Kansas for the longest such streak nationally, they’ll have to do so without a starting piece of their offensive line.
Head coach Charlie Partridge announced Wednesday that Bryan Beck will miss the remainder of the 2016 season because of injury. Specifically, the right tackle has an unspecified knee injury.
Beck was pushed into the starting lineup because of a knee injury to senior Kelly Parfitt.
“We’ll attack this challenge like we have the rest of them,” Partridge said of the latest injury setback for his offensive line.
According to the Sun-Sentinel, the Owls will be using their eight different line combination this weekend. Saturday’s game against Western Kentucky will be FAU’s eighth this season.
A redshirt freshman, Beck has started four games this season. Three of those starts came in the last three games in place of the injured Parfitt.
Former Penn State tight end Brent Wilkerson will serve five years of probation and must register as a sex offender after pleading guilty to indecent assault on Tuesday.
Wilkerson was accused of pushing a woman upstairs to her bedroom back in February. The two fell asleep but the woman claimed to wake up to discover she was being kissed and fondled by Wilkerson. A police report said Wilkerson was drunk but the woman was not.
Wilkerson was slated to be a key contributor to Penn State’s offense in 2016, but after initially being suspended by the program in the spring, he was dismissed by the program weeks later.
Notre Dame may be going through a disappointing college football season, but quarterback DeShone Kizer says the players have not lost their faith in their head coach, Brian Kelly.
“We have complete confidence in coach Kelly,” Kizer said, according to The Indy Star. “He has experience, he’s a winning coach, he knows how to win and he’s going to figure out whatever it takes to win. And as long as we continue to have the mentality that he is the successful coach that he is and trust in that, we’re going to be fine.:
Notre Dame is just 2-5 this season, with their bowl hopes fading quickly. As Notre Dame has struggled, Kelly has come under some fire for how he has handled the season thus far, which has included throwing others under the bus, a change at defensive coordinator and poor coaching decisions along the way. The preseason expectation of being a potential playoff contender in the eyes of some set the bar high for Kelly and the Irish, and so far Notre Dame has come nowhere close to living up to those standards.
Kelly has already received a vote of confidence from Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick. Now he has his starting quarterback behind him.
“We’ve been all over the place in this first half of the season from different motivational speeches to different mindsets each week trying to figure out what’s the best way of getting a win and doing whatever we can,” Kizer said. “But from here on out, it’s just having a good time, taking this opportunity to play for Notre Dame and doing whatever you can to bring home wins.”