Steve Spurrier

Raises, extensions for Spurrier, coaching staff announced

5 Comments

Following up on reports that surfaced Wednesday morning, South Carolina officially confirmed that head coach Steve Spurrier and his entire nine-man coaching staff are on the receiving end of amended contracts that includes both a extensions and raises.

Spurrier’s contract was  extended by one year, meaning the Ol’ Ball Coach is now signed through the 2018 season.  While the press release announcing the new deals did not detail the amount of a raise, it had been previously reported that Spurrier’s total pay would be bumped from $3.3 million to $4 million.

Spurrier recently completed his ninth season with the Gamecocks, finishing the season ranked as the No. 4 team in the country.  That ranking served as the highest in the postseason in the program’s history.

Prior to Spurrier’s arrival in 2005, the Gamecocks had never won 10 or more games in back-to-back seasons; 2013 marked the third straight season USC has won 11 games.

“Our sustained success has put our football program on a level that few others in the country have accomplished,” athletic director Ray Tanner said in a statement. “We are coming off our third-consecutive 11-win season, which represents the greatest era of success in Carolina football history. In addition, our student-athletes are achieving at the highest level – on the field, in the classroom and in the community. With three-straight Top-10 finishes, South Carolina is as good as any program in the country. The contract raises and extensions for Coach Spurrier and his staff are a reflection of that success and are well-deserved.”

Additionally, the release stated that “Coach Spurrier had a clause added to his contract that upon his retirement as head football coach, he would be offered employment by the University as a Special Assistant to the President and the Athletics Director provided he maintains his residence in Columbia and either the current President or the current Athletics Director continue to be employed by the University in their same capacities.”

“Ambassador Spurrier?”  Yep, sign me up.

“My staff and I thoroughly enjoy coaching under the direction of President Pastides and Athletics Director Tanner,” said Spurrier. “We appreciate the attitude of our Board of Trustees in keeping our salaries competitive with the rest of the SEC. We all hope to coach here many more years and we still have some goals that have not been accomplished yet.

“We thank our fans for the outstanding support that we always receive. A special thanks to all the fans that followed our team to Orlando for the big win over Wisconsin that enabled us to finish a school-record No. 4 in the nation.”

As far as the assistants go, Deke Adams, Kirk Botkin, Grady Brown, Shawn Elliott, G.A. Mangus, Joe Robinson, Everette Sands and Steve Spurrier Jr. had their contacts extended through the 2015 season.  Defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward‘s deal was extended through the 2016 season.

As was the case with Spurrier, the raises received by the assistants were not revealed.

Stanford down two starting corners for Top 10 matchup vs. Washington

PASADENA, CA - JANUARY 01:  Quenton Meeks #24 of the Stanford Cardinal celebrates his 66 yard interception for a touchdown against the Iowa Hawkeyes in the first quarter of the 102nd Rose Bowl Game on January 1, 2016 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

As No. 10 Washington gets set to host No. 7 Stanford in one of Week 5’s biggest matchups, the latter’s secondary will be down a couple of men in going up against one of the top young quarterbacks in the Pac-12.

David Shaw confirmed Tuesday that both Quenton Meeks (pictured) and Alijah Holder will not play for the Cardinal against the Huskies.  The starting cornerbacks were injured in Stanford’s Week 4 win over UCLA.

That tandem is expected to be replaced in the starting lineup by Alameen Murphy and Terrence Alexander.  Those two will be making their first career starts.

UW’s Jake Browning‘s 14 touchdown passes are tied for second nationally and amongst Pac-12 quarterbacks as well.  The sophomore has just two interceptions in his 95 pass attempts.

In addition to Meeks and Holder, starting fullback Daniel Marx has been ruled out because of an injury suffered against the Bruins.

On top of that trio, the Cardinal had previously announced that wide receiver Francis Owusu has been ruled out of this Saturday’s game with a concussion.

Despite report to contrary, president David Boren says Oklahoma hasn’t made up mind on Big 12 expansion

NORMAN, OK - NOVEMBER 10: President of the University of Oklahoma David Boren and Head Coach Bob Stoops of the Oklahoma Sooners talk before the game against the Baylor Bears November 10, 2012 at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma. Oklahoma defeated Baylor 42-34. (Photo by Brett Deering/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It wouldn’t be the Big 12 without a little drama, now would it?

Tuesday, Pete Thamel of SI.com reported it’s believed that Oklahoma president David Boren, long thought to be a major proponent of expanding the Big 12 beyond 10 teams, “has reversed course on his view of expansion.” This report comes nearly two weeks after T. Boone Pickens‘ BFF infamously — and very surprisingly — tapped the expansion brakes.

“I wouldn’t take expansion as a given,” Boren said Sept. 14. “I wouldn’t take it as a sure thing.”

According to Thamel’s report, it appears that BYU, long a favorite of Boren, and the uproar over its honor code has caused Boren, and thus the university, to shift gears when it comes to expansion. Additionally, OU’s regents are reportedly not in favor of expansion and are pressuring Boren “to convey that message.”

That shift, at least what he’s putting out there for public consumption, is news to Boren.

“I do not know where the speculation came from,” Boren said in a statement to ESPN.com, “but Oklahoma has not yet taken a position on expansion.”

It was thought that expansion could be decided at a meeting of chancellors and presidents in Irving, Tex., in the middle of next month, although that could be pushed to the end of the year, if not the beginning of 2017. A total of 11 schools made the cut as “finalists” should the Big 12 expand, with those nearly dozen schools presenting their cases over the past couple of weeks.

Of the 11, seven come from the AAC — Cincinnati, Houston, SMU, Tulane, UCF, UConn, USF — two from the Mountain West — Air Force, Colorado State — and one from Conference USA — Rice. The lone remaining school, BYU, is a football independent.

Domestic abuse, child endangerment charges dropped against LSU’s Davon Godchaux

BATON ROUGE, LA - NOVEMBER 08: T.J. Yeldon #4 of the Alabama Crimson Tide is tackled by Davon Godchaux #57 of the LSU Tigers  during a game at Tiger Stadium on November 8, 2014 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

An off-field incident involving one playing member of the LSU football program has taken a positive turn for the Tiger.

The East Baton Rouge District Attorney’s office confirmed Tuesday evening that no formal charges will be filed against Davon Godchaux. The starting defensive end was arrested over the weekend on charges of false imprisonment and domestic abuse/child endangerment in connection to a domestic situation.

Godchaux (pictured, No. 57) had been accused of getting into an altercation with his girlfriend and preventing her from leaving their apartment with their 10-month old child.

“The primary basis for this change of booking (dropped charges) was the inconsistent statements of (the woman) and of Mr. Godchaux and the physical evidence,” DA Hillar Moore III said. “And not her request to dismiss these charges.”

The girlfriend reportedly had a swollen lip and red marks around her neck while Godchaux had cuts on his gums. The woman was charged with domestic abuse/child endangerment as well; that charge is still pending a formal charging decision, Moore stated.

Godchaux was indefinitely suspended by interim head coach Ed Orgeron following the arrest, and remains that way as of Wednesday morning, a school official said.

The junior has started 26 games during his time with the Tigers, including all four in 2016. His 20 tackles are currently fifth on the team, while his two tackles for loss are fifth as well.

FSU says ‘Pigg’ Harrison suspended; report says WR has left program

TALLAHASSEE, FL - APRIL 11:  Ja'Vonn Harrison #13 of the Garnett team catches a pass in front of Marquez White #27 of the Gold team during Florida State's Garnet and Gold spring game at Doak Campbell Stadium on April 11, 2015 in Tallahassee, Florida.  (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

There appears to be some confusion regarding the status of Ja’Vonn “Pigg” Harrison, but one thing is seemingly certain — the wide receiver won’t see the field for the Seminoles for the foreseeable future, if ever again.

Following practice Tuesday, FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher announced that Harrison has been suspended from his football team. The only reason given was an unspecified violation of team rules.

“As of right now, he’s suspended,” the head coach said in quotes distributed by the team. “We’ll see what happens. Team violation.”

However, TomahawkNation.com is reporting that third-year junior has left the team completely and intends to transfer.

A four-star member of FSU 2014 recruiting class, Harrison was rated as the No. 30 player at any position in the state of Florida and the 197 player overall on 247Sports.com‘s composite board. The Lakeland native, however, never quite lived up to that recruiting pedigree.

Including this season, Harrison has played in 20 games in his career, starting one of those contest (2016 vs. Ole Miss). He caught eight passes for 139 yards and a touchdown. Six of those receptions, 129 of the yards and the lone touchdown came in 2015. This season, he had one catch for nine yards.