Nebraska v Minnesota

Taylor Martinez’s dad says Nebraska never fully diagnosed foot injury


Looking to clear the air as his son prepares for workouts in front of NFL Scouts and coaches, Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez‘s father attempted to set the record straight about his son’s injury status from the 2013 season. Martinez suffered a plantar plate tear of the second metatarsal phalangeal joint, which in English translates to a torn ligament in his foot. According to Casey Martinez,s Taylor’s father, the injury was suffered in Nebraska’s first game of the season against Wyoming and aggravated the following week in a game against Southern Mississippi. Nebraska, according to Casey Martinez, never fully diagnosed the foot injury, but he is not accusing the school of negligence either.

“I think Taylor wanted to get back and play as badly as anyone,” Casey Martinez said in a report by “They wanted him to play and expected to contend for a Big Ten championship.”

Martinez sat out six weeks of the regular season to focus on his foot injury and when he was set to return to the field his father agreed with the decision of the Nebraska coaching staff. He returned against Minnesota but struggled to play the way he was capable of doing when healthy. It was the final game of Martinez’s career. At the end of the season Martinez and his family took time to get a professional opinion form another source before setting any sights on the NFL. That led Martinez to Dr. Mark Quist of Carolina Foot and Ankle, who diagnosed Martinez with the foot injury.

Nebraska had been relatively silent on the status of Martinez for much of the season, but that was not necessarily a Martinez-specific decision. Many schools protect their players from injury news in the spotlight, even if it becomes a bit of a distraction. Head coach Bo Pelini is also not one to be too open with the media when he does not have to. From the sound of it, there is no reason to suspect Nebraska was handling Martinez’s injury in any alarming way.

Martinez is working out and training for upcoming workouts in front of NFL scouts. Nebraska’s pro day is scheduled for March 6. Martinez is hoping to be at full strength by then.

Unlike Missouri, 5-7 Nebraska will jump at opportunity to go bowling

Cethan Carter
Leave a comment

Nebraska will be first in line to accept a bowl invitation when it arrives in the mail, despite going 5-7 this season. The Huskers, who are first in line among 5-7 candidates based on APR scores, will reportedly accept a bowl invitation to fill the first vacancy left to fill once all bowl-eligible teams are slotted into the postseason mix.

Missouri released a statement earlier today saying it will not accept a bowl invitation following a 5-7 season. The Tigers would have been the second team among 5-7 teams to receive a bowl invitation based on APR scores. According to a report by Brett McMurphy of, Kansas State would be next in line, followed by Minnesota, San Jose State, Illinois and Rice.

Missouri and Nebraska would appear to have different agendas of course. Nebraska is coming off the first season under new head coach Mike Riley, while Missouri is in the midst of a full coaching search. The decision not to go to a bowl game allows Missouri’s coaching staff in place under the now retired Gary Pinkel to pursue new opportunities without having bowl preparations get in the way.

Maryland sack master Yannick Ngakoue entering NFL Draft

Yannick Ngakoue, Christian Hackenberg
1 Comment

Maryland will have a new head coach in 2016. Whoever that head coach ends up being will have to find a way to replace one of Maryland’s best players. Defensive lineman Yannick Ngakoue says he will skip his final year of eligibility with the Terrapins and declare for the 2016 NFL Draft.

Ngakoue was the second in the Big Ten with 13.0 sacks this season, trailing only Penn State defensive lineman Carl Nassib. Ngakoue’s sack total is a Maryland school record and was one of the few reasons for optimism for Maryland’s dreadful football season, which ended with just three wins.

5-7 Missouri says it will not participate in a bowl game


A 5-7 team is going to go bowling this season, but Missouri will not be one of them. Missouri athletics director Mack Rhoades released a statement Monday evening confirming the Tigers will not accept any bowl invitation.

“Following this weekend’s football games, there have been significant discussions nationally concerning 5-7 teams participating in bowl games,” the statement read. “After careful consideration, we have decided it is not in the best interest of our football program to seek permission from the NCAA to participate in a bowl game. Our focus remains on identifying the right leader for our program and moving forward with the transition process.”

Missouri would have been among the first of the 5-7 schools to receive an invitation to whatever bowl is left needing to fill a bowl spot this season after it became mathematically impossible to fill all available bowl spots with bowl-eligible teams. Based on APR scores, Missouri was expected to be one of the first 5-7 schools to fill an empty spot. Nebraska would be the first school in line base don APR scores, followed by the Tigers. Not anymore.

The decision also means Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel has coached his final game for the Tigers. After announcing his retirement earlier in the month, effective at the end of the season, Pinkel was prepared to coach until the end of the season even if that mean going to a bowl game. As noted in the statement, Missouri is focused on hiring a successor to Pinkel, and that search continues to develop.

Now, what other schools are going to forfeit a bowl trip?

Last call! Orlando bar gave out 15,000 free beers during UCF’s 0-12 season

Chad Banschbach
Leave a comment

It was a long season for fans of the UCF Knights, but at least one bar may have been the biggest loser of all. Orlando bar The Basement committed to giving away free beer during UCF football games after starting the season with four losses. The free beer promotion would continue until the Knights won a game, which of course never happened. USF demolished UCF on Thanksgiving night to bring an end to a dreadful 0-12 season in Orlando. So, what was the final tab?

An estimated total of 15,000 free beers were given away to patrons during UCF games this season, and the promotion is expected to continue into the 2016 season.

“We thought the next two games after we came up with the offer were our most winnable games of the season,” Jake Whitacre, marketing director for The Basement, said in a local TV interview. “Once we lost those two we realized we had really gotten ourselves into a hole.”

Whitacre said the bar still ended up making money thanks to customers buying other beverages in addition to receiving free beer.

If you were curious, UCF opens the 2016 season at Michigan unless they fill a scheduling vacancy on September 3.