Alabama Mississippi All-Star Football

Alabama DB recruits also the nation’s top two prep hurdlers

At the rate Alabama is recruiting, Nick Saban might be able to field his own track team next fall.

The Crimson Tide’s recruiting class includes two 5-star cornerbacks who just so happen to be the nation’s top two prep track and field hurdle recruits.

Tony Brown, a 6-foot, 182-pounder from Beaumont, Texas, is already enrolled in school at Alabama and, despite some off-field trouble, is likely to contribute early for the Tide. He was ranked the 25th-best player in the country overall by and the No. 4 cornerback. On the track, however, Brown is as good as they come. His time of 13.38 in the 110-meter high hurdles run during his junior season was tied for the fastest mark in the country in that event. How fast is that? Well, 2012 Olympic gold medalist and current 110-meter high hurdle world record holder Aries Merritt had a best time of 13.92 in high school. Does that mean Brown is going to be better than Merritt at the high hurdles? No. But it does mean he has the potential to be a great one. It also shows that Brown had the speed (he also has a best of 10.53 in the 100 meters), coordination and athleticism to be an elite corner.

Securing Brown as a recruit would’ve been good enough, but Alabama also went out and claimed the commitment of in-state star Marlon Humphrey on Wednesday morning, too. If there’s any football player/track athlete more talented than Brown in this class, it might be Humphrey.

The 6-foot, 175-pounder from Hoover, Ala., is ranked the No. 9 player overall by and the No. 2 cornerback. He also tied Brown for the top 110-meter hurdles time in the country last track season, at the aforementioned 13.38 time. But Humphrey was also the nation’s best at both the 300 and 400-meter intermediate hurdles as well. His top 300-meter hurdle time of 35.60 is close to challenging the prep record set by NCAA champion Reggie Wyatt and his 50.25 time in the 400 hurdles is also outstanding. While Brown will be taking in spring ball for the Tide, Humphrey will have another go at breaking that mark when track season rolls around.

It’s extremely rare for two athletes of this caliber to exist in the same recruiting class, much less play the same position, much less sign with the same school. It doesn’t bode well for opposing quarterbacks in the next few seasons, nor for opposing track teams.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx