Michigan kicker Brendan Gibbons was separated, or expelled, from the University of Michigan on December 20, 2013 as a result of an investigation in to an alleged sexual misconduct incident from 2009. This may shed some light on his status on the football team in the final few games of the 2013 season, but it also raises some others.
According to a report by Michigan Daily, revised university policies related to sexual misconduct on campus led to review of various allegations, including the case regarding Gibbons that had previously run its course. This ultimately led to the school’s decision to remove Gibbons from the university last December.
Michigan head coach Brady Hoke was named the head coach in Ann arbor after the Gibbons investigation had run its course during the Rich Rodriguez era. As far as he was concerned, Gibbons was eligible and available to play for the Wolverines without question. His handling of the re-opened investigation though is raising some questions from Michigan fans. If Hoke had been made aware of the re-opened investigation, which is a somewhat safe assumption, he certainly made no attempts to address it with the media.
On December 23, three days after the decision to remove Gibbons from the university was made official, Hoke only mentioned that his kicker did not travel with the team to Tempe, Arizona for the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl against Kansas State. The issue shared by Hoke was Gibbons was dealing with a family matter. If Gibbons had been separated from the university, Hoke would have likely been made aware of that decision and appears to have hidden that piece of information when given an opportunity to address it. A simple violation of team rules is all that would have been needed and is the typical coach explanation when a player is in some sort of trouble. This certainly would have qualified as a violation of team rules.
Questions about Hoke’s handling of Gibbons during the regular season also are now fair to question given the information provided now. In the regular season finale against rival Ohio State, on November 30, Gibbons sat out of the game due to what was reported as a muscle injury. The injury supposedly happened earlier in the week. Given the timing, it is possible the university re-opened their investigation in to the Gibbons sexual misconduct case. Under those circumstances it is fairly typical to have a player removed from the team until the investigation comes to a conclusion.
We do not know for sure what exactly Hoke knew or was told, but if the head coach was kept out of the loop on this sort of case it is fair to ask why.
A very disturbing story has emerged out of Dallas, where former Texas A&M wide receiver Thomas Johnson sits in a Dallas County jail cell after allegedly admitting to hacking an unsuspecting jogger to death with a machete.
Just before 8 a.m. Monday, authorities say Johnson went to White Rock Creek Trail, a popular jogging trail in northeast Dallas, and randomly slashed a jogger to death. “It appears Mr. Johnson picked this victim at random. Absolutely random,” Deputy Chief Rob Sherwin told the Dallas Morning News. “He just attacked him. … It’s just very unusual. It’s quite shocking.”
Johnson then walked away from the scene in search of a cell phone. An onlooker had already dialed 911, and when police arrived Johnson allegedly told them there was a man “laying down with a sword in his head and not moving.”
“I just committed capital murder,” Johnson said and then repeated, according to his arrest affidavit. The only motive police reported was that Johnson was angry at his situation in life at the time of the slaying.
The victim, an unidentified male between the age of 25 and 35, passed away at a nearby hospital.
Johnson, meanwhile, remains in a Dallas County jail in lieu of $500,000 bail.
Johnson was a highly-regarded member of Kevin Sumlin‘s first recruiting class at Texas A&M. As a true freshman in 2012, the Dallas native caught 30 passes for 339 yards and one touchdown through the Aggies’ upset of then-No. 1 Alabama and then simply… disappeared. He went missing for three days in November 2012 before turning up back home in Dallas. His mother told the San Antonio Express-News last April Johnson would like to return to college football, but a return to the game never materialized.
Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema will not be disciplined by the SEC office for his brief interaction with Alabama offensive lineman Cam Robinson last weekend. A video showing Bielema exaggerating his interaction with Robinson at the end of a play was reviewed by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, and the commissioner has discussed the situation with the Razorbacks coach.
“I visited with Bret over the phone on Monday and we discussed the play that has now become widely reviewed through a brief video clip,” Sankey said in a released statement. “Football is played in an intense competitive environment and I reminded him of the need for head coaches to resolve with their own players issues that may arise, which was his intent. The unsportsmanlike penalty assessed on the play was not directly associated with Bret’s efforts to intervene at the end of the play and we are moving forward in a positive manner.”
That appears to be the end of the discussion regarding Bielema’s act. I personally think there should have been some more done here by the league’s commissioner, but we will see if Bielema avoids putting himself in a similar position moving forward.