Texas A&M’s Board of Regents have approved plans to fund a $16 million renovation project for the football program. The project will provide upgrades to Texas A&M’s football locker room, athletic training facilities, meeting rooms and coaches’ offices.
“We appreciate the support of the Board of Regents, University administration and Aggies everywhere,” Texas A&M Director of Athletics Eric Hyman said in a statement. “The sincere commitment to excellence from everyone associated with Texas A&M is apparent. This project will continue to help us recruit outstanding student-athletes, as well as provide a first-class experience for our current student-athletes and coaches.”
The bulk of the renovation plans will focus on the first and third floors of the football complex, which the school says is now 11 years old. When the building was constructed the Aggies were a member of the Big 12. Moving to the SEC meant putting forth a commitment to some upgrades to keep up with the conference as a program. Being a part of the SEC also meant a bigger payout from the conference to make that possible.
According to a school press release, all funds for the renovation will come from the 12th Man Foundation. Construction will begin as soon as possible and should be completed in full before the start of the 2015 season. The first floor renovations should be completed before the 2014 season begins.
Texas A&M is already underway with renovating Kyle Field at a cost of $450 million, but these upgrades will take place at the football complex, where the team practices and trains.
Jim Harbaugh has added more experience and another “name” to his Michigan football staff.
According to NFL.com‘s Albert Breer, Harbaugh has hired Scott Turner as an offensive analyst. Harbaugh’s nine-man on-field coaching staff is already full, but Turner could be in line to join that group if/when the NCAA approves a 10th assistant.
Turner, the son of former Washington, Oakland and San Diego head coach Norv Turner, spent the past three seasons as the quarterbacks coach of the Minnesota Vikings.
Turner has spent the past six seasons in the NFL. His last job at the collegiate level came as the wide receivers coach at Pittsburgh in 2010.
It was previously reported that Harbaugh had, controversially in the eyes of some, hired former NFL offensive coordinator Michael Johnson Sr. to an undetermined off-field position. Johnson, the father of the top-rated dual-threat quarterback in the Class of 2019, ultimately took an on-field job at Oregon.
If it wasn’t clear before, it is now — Kansas’ quarterback room will have a decidedly different look this coming season.
On his personal Twitter account Tuesday afternoon, Montell Cozart announced his decision to transfer from the Jayhawks and finish his playing career elsewhere. The quarterback described it as “a tough decision that brought along a lot of prayer, sleepless nights, and meaningful talks with my family.”
Cozart started five games as a true sophomore in 2014, then started three of the first four games of the 2015 season before a shoulder injury ultimately sidelined him for the remainder of the year. After starting seven games this past season, he lost his job just past the midway point and never got it back.
He received a medical hardship waiver for the 2015 season, giving the graduate another year of eligibility he can use immediately in 2017.
Early last month, Ryan Willis announced his decision to transfer from Kansas to Virginia Tech. Less than four weeks later, Deondre Ford followed his former teammate out the door as well.
Redshirt freshman Carter Stanley took over as the starter for the three last games of the 2016 season and is pencilled in as the starter heading into the offseason. KU also added Peyton Bender, a transfer from Washington State by way of the junior college ranks who’s eligible to play immediately in 2017 and will pose a stiff test for the incumbent.
Two months after deciding to leave Notre Dame, John Montelus officially has a new college football home.
On its official Twitter account Tuesday, Virginia announced that Montelus has signed his grant-in-aid papers with the university and will play his final season for the Cavaliers. As a graduate transfer, the offensive lineman is eligible to play immediately.
Over his four seasons with the Fighting Irish, Montelus played in just six games. A four-star 2013 recruit, Montelus was rated as the No. 8 guard in the country and the the No. 1 player at any position in the state of Massachusetts.
Montelus is actually one of two Irish linemen joining the Cavaliers as transfers, with Colin McGovern confirming last month that he’ll be doing the same. UVa. has yet to officially announce his addition to the roster.
In the midst of spring practice, Duke has seen its defensive line take a twin hit unrelated to any health issues.
Tuesday afternoon, the football program announced that a pair of sophomore defensive linemen, Brandon Boyce and Marquies Price (pictured), have been dismissed by David Cutcliffe. Other than failing to meet the standards of a Blue Devil football player, no specific reason for the dismissals were given.
Both had been expected to contribute significantly this coming season.
Price started all 11 games in which he played during the 2016 season, and started 14 in his career. His six quarterback hurries last year were second on the team.
Boyce played in 21 games during his time with the Blue Devils. Eight of those appearances came in 2016.
In mid-August, it was announced that Boyce was one of two football players suspended for the first three games of last season. Unspecified violations of team rules was the only reason given for that punitive measure.