Florida State celebrated their 2014 BCS championship Saturday afternoon in Doak Campbell Stadium. An estimated crowd exceeding 20,000 attended to share in the joyous occasion as the Seminoles took time to pose for pictures with fans and address the fans.
“If I could take pictures with all of them I would, “ Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston said. “It’d be a riot, but it’s good t see the support that we have.”
Head coach Jimbo Fisher also got the crowd fired up with a message to say the 2013 season was not a one year blip on a radar, but a preview of things to come for the Seminoles.
“We didn’t just develop a team; we developed a program,” Fisher said. “We plan on being here for a long time.”
Fisher has been building Florida State up through successful and revitalized recruiting since taking over for Bobby Bowden. Florida State’s ascension to the top of the ACC cup,minted in the 2012 season with an ACC Championship Game victory over Georgia Tech and an Orange Bowl victory over Northern Illinois. In 2013 the Seminoles were the most dominant team in college football from week one through the final game if the year, rallying to knock off SEC champion Auburn for the BCS championship. With Florida State returning a good amount of talent in 2014, the Seminoles will be a favorite to win the national championship in 2014.
“We are excited about what we have done and proud of what we have done but know we are not finished and want to keep building for the future,” Fisher said. “Everybody says we are the defending national champions. No, we are not the defending anything because they can’t take that away. If you defend something it means you could lose it. We can’t lose that. What we have to do is be hungry and hunt for another one.”
Outside of the stadium the Seminoles also added a piece of turf to the Sod Cemetery, a traditional resting ground for turf honoring past signature victories in school history. Following upset wins on the road or other notable victories such as bowl games and national championship games, a Florida State player rips off a piece of the turf and the school adds it to a grave yard outside the stadium.
A very disturbing story has emerged out of Dallas, where former Texas A&M wide receiver Thomas Johnson sits in a Dallas County jail cell after allegedly admitting to hacking an unsuspecting jogger to death with a machete.
Just before 8 a.m. Monday, authorities say Johnson went to White Rock Creek Trail, a popular jogging trail in northeast Dallas, and randomly slashed a jogger to death. “It appears Mr. Johnson picked this victim at random. Absolutely random,” Deputy Chief Rob Sherwin told the Dallas Morning News. “He just attacked him. … It’s just very unusual. It’s quite shocking.”
Johnson then walked away from the scene in search of a cell phone. An onlooker had already dialed 911, and when police arrived Johnson allegedly told them there was a man “laying down with a sword in his head and not moving.”
“I just committed capital murder,” Johnson said and then repeated, according to his arrest affidavit. The only motive police reported was that Johnson was angry at his situation in life at the time of the slaying.
The victim, an unidentified male between the age of 25 and 35, passed away at a nearby hospital.
Johnson, meanwhile, remains in a Dallas County jail in lieu of $500,000 bail.
Johnson was a highly-regarded member of Kevin Sumlin‘s first recruiting class at Texas A&M. As a true freshman in 2012, the Dallas native caught 30 passes for 339 yards and one touchdown through the Aggies’ upset of then-No. 1 Alabama and then simply… disappeared. He went missing for three days in November 2012 before turning up back home in Dallas. His mother told the San Antonio Express-News last April Johnson would like to return to college football, but a return to the game never materialized.
Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema will not be disciplined by the SEC office for his brief interaction with Alabama offensive lineman Cam Robinson last weekend. A video showing Bielema exaggerating his interaction with Robinson at the end of a play was reviewed by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, and the commissioner has discussed the situation with the Razorbacks coach.
“I visited with Bret over the phone on Monday and we discussed the play that has now become widely reviewed through a brief video clip,” Sankey said in a released statement. “Football is played in an intense competitive environment and I reminded him of the need for head coaches to resolve with their own players issues that may arise, which was his intent. The unsportsmanlike penalty assessed on the play was not directly associated with Bret’s efforts to intervene at the end of the play and we are moving forward in a positive manner.”
That appears to be the end of the discussion regarding Bielema’s act. I personally think there should have been some more done here by the league’s commissioner, but we will see if Bielema avoids putting himself in a similar position moving forward.