Franco Harris, Jay Paterno

Paterno family lawsuit against NCAA adds Penn State as defendant

Perhaps lost in the buzz surrounding signing day is the latest development in the lawsuit filed by the family of former Penn State head coach Joe Paterno against the NCAA. After making some changes to the original lawsuit, the Paterno family has added Penn State as a nominal defendant after the NCAA argued the university should be labeled as a defendant in the case. A nominal defendant is one that is included in a lawsuit due to a technicality in order to make an accurate ruling but has no responsibility or fault in the ruling.

According to a report by Penn State student newspaper The Daily Collegian, the changes to the lawsuit were made to appease the NCAA but the family is not seeking any damage or compensation from the school.

“To be clear, we do not seek any monetary damages from Penn State, nor do we ask that the court order Penn State to take any action.” attorney for the Paterno side, Wick Sollers said in a statement. “We ask only for a declaration that the plaintiffs have rights under the NCAA rules that were violated, and that the Consent Decree imposed by the NCAA is null and void.”

The Paterno family is seeking to overturn the sanctions levied by the NCAA against the football program in the fallout of the Jerry Sandusky scandal and publication of the Freeh Report. It is the Paterno family’s belief the university was pressure to sign off on a consent decree, which university president Rodney Erickson did in the summer of 2012. Because of the way the NCAA handled the Penn State case, the Paterno family claims a number of assistant coaches, including Jay Paterno, were victims of defamation and because of that have not been able to find a job coaching football since being let go by the university once Bill O’Brien was hired in January 2012.

One of the demands of the consent decree mandated Penn State would accept whatever punishment the NCAA handed down without challenging the decision. This is not typical of NCAA protocol that allows for a university to appeal a decision made by the NCAA. Penn State was issued a four-year postseason ban, significant reduction in available scholarships and a $60 million fine to be paid over the course of the sanction period. Current players and recruits were also given a free transfer by the NCAA. Since then the NCAA has cut back on the scholarship restrictions and is allowing Penn State to gradually work back up to 85 total scholarships.

Penn State was given back five scholarships for the Class of 2014, going from 15 to 20. The Nittany Lions will have a full 25 initial scholarships to offer in the Class of 2015.

Baylor AD Ian McCaw resigns

WACO, TX - AUGUST 31:  A general view of play between the Southern Methodist Mustangs and the Baylor Bears at McLane Stadium on August 31, 2014 in Waco, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

On the same day Baylor made the coaching hire of Jim Grobe official, athletics director Ian McCaw has announced his resignation.

“After much reflection and prayer, I have decided that a change in athletics department leadership is in Baylor University’s best interest in order to promote the unity, healing and restoration that must occur in order to move forward,” McCaw said in a released statement Monday evening.

The resignation of McCaw is not to be unexpected given the serious nature of the revelations surrounding the Baylor program in the last week. Art Briles already lost his job and president Ken Starr was reappointed to a different position within the university as it looks to regroup from some egregious violations of Title IX and a complete system meltdown in responding to sexual violence involving Baylor student-athletes. That he lasted this long is puzzling to some, and his resignation is very likely a forced one. McCaw was placed on probation by the university last week.

“We understand and accept this difficult decision by Ian McCaw to resign as Athletic Director and we are grateful for his service to Baylor University,” a statement from Baylor’s Board of Regents read. “We also appreciate Ian’s commitment and involvement in bringing a person of integrity such as Jim Grobe to the University before making this decision.”

It should be expected McCaw let Grobe know of the situation when making the quick coaching hire, although Grobe likely knows this is a short-term deal anyway.

McCaw joined the Baylor program in 2003.

NCAA has no comment on Baylor Title IX violations at this time

ARLINGTON, TX - APRIL 06:  NCAA President Mark Emmert speaks to the media during a press conference at AT&T Stadium on April 6, 2014 in Arlington, Texas.  (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Last week when the Baylor board of regents released a handful of documents outlining Title IX violations, the university also acknowledged it had been in contact with the NCAA regarding various violations. It remains to be seen what, if anything, the NCAA will do in response to the Baylor situation that led to the dismissal of head coach Art Briles. For now, the NCAA has no comment, which is a pretty regular way of staying out of trouble on a sensitive subject.

It would be unwise for the NCAA to open its mouth and say anything regarding the Baylor situation at this point in time. Baylor is still sifting through the mess it has uncovered in Waco and looking to establish a sense of order moving forward. As far as football is concerned, that continued on Monday with the reported hire of former Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe as an interim head coach for the upcoming season.

There are a handful of areas the NCAA could weigh on in the future (including lack of institutional control), but there is never a concrete timetable with anything the NCAA does, and the governing body has yet to open any formal investigation of its own. With a “no comment,” the NCAA is reserving judgement until a later time, which makes perfect sense. The NCAA is already keeping its distance as it wants to avoid overstepping its boundaries as it did in responding to the Jerry Sandusky scandal at Penn State.

This does not mean Baylor will be left off the hook when it comes to the NCAA, because this is something that could drag on for a while.

College football history between Pittsburgh and San Jose

PITTSBURGH, PA - NOVEMBER 21: Patrick Marleau #12 of the San Jose Sharks skates on the ice against the Pittsburgh Penguins during the game at Consol Energy Center on November 19, 2015 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Matt Kincaid/Getty Images)
Photo by Matt Kincaid/Getty Images