A very generous Wake Forest alum has donated a gift of $2 million to help fund the future of the football program. The significant donation announced by the school on Friday is the latest in a fundraising campaign to raise funds for construct a new sports performance center.
Alan Fox, Chairman and CEO of Vacations to Go, has been a long time supporter of Wake Forest, where he graduated from in 1979. Fox and his family have supported a scholarship program for service trips abroad as well as multiple other fundraising efforts for academic and athletics purposes at the school. The recent donation by Fox raises the donation total for Wake Forest’s Wake Will campaign to over $5 million since October.
“We are grateful for Alan’s generous gift, which will inspire excellence in our student-athletes and positively affect the entire University,” said President Nathan O. Hatch. “Philanthropic investments in our flagship athletic programs can have benefits on the playing field and in the classroom alike, generating additional resources, improving our national reputation, and boosting school pride.”
Fox said he was inspired to start donating to his alma mater after noticing his son would frequently be seen wearing Wake Forest apparel in photos. These photos reminded Fox how important the university was to him, and his early memories of attending football games led to him wanting to give back to the program and university.
“One of my first experiences at a football game in many years was sitting up in the Moricle Suite, and there is no better way to watch a football game,” said Fox.
If you ever wondered why schools look to add more luxury suites to their stadiums, this is why.
A historic weather incident this past weekend will have a significant impact on a college football game this weekend.
Even as they tried to work out alternatives earlier in the week, South Carolina officials confirmed in a press release Wednesday that the game against LSU, previously scheduled to be played Saturday in Columbia, will instead be played in Baton Rouge at the home of the Tigers. Historic flooding in the area triggered the decision, which was made after consultation with state and local officials, law enforcement, the SEC and LSU.
The fears of those involved in making the decision, which was made yesterday, was that 85,000 fans attending the game Saturday would exact a toll on an infrastructure that’s already stretched to its limits because of the flooding. Classes for 34,000 students had previously been cancelled.
“On behalf of the University of South Carolina Athletics Department, our thoughts and prayers are with those who have suffered the loss of life and property during this tragic flood,” said athletic director Ray Tanner in a statement. “After much thought and consideration, and in conjunction with local and state authorities and with our own University administration, we have made the decision to move Saturday’s football game to Baton Rouge. Changing venues on such short notice is no easy task, and I would like to thank LSU President F. King Alexander and Athletics Director Joe Alleva for their cooperation and flexibility in working with us to change the site for Saturday’s football game.”
“On behalf of the South Carolina football team we want to do the right thing and do what is best for all concerned,” said head coach Steve Spurrier. “It appears the best thing is to travel to LSU. We look forward to the challenge and competing against the Tigers in Baton Rouge on Saturday.”
A kickoff time will be announced later today or tomorrow. The Gamecocks are expected to leave for Baton Rouge Friday.
How about we start off the morning with something positive for a change?
As the Bowling Green caravan was driving back from Saturday’s game against Buffalo, a woman in front of the school’s four bus swerved and her vehicle hit the center divider on the Interstate in Northeast Ohio. Shortly thereafter, the vehicle burst into flames.
That’s when Dino Babers, BGSU’s head coach, and trainer Chelsea Lowe jumped into action. From the Toledo Blade:
The bus driver asked for permission to stop the bus, and I gave it to him — but I told him not to stop the other three buses,” Babers said. “Then he asked to go check out the car and see if the driver was hurt.
“I told him no, because if he was hurt there wouldn’t be anyone to drive the bus home.”
So that first BG bus, which was unaffected by the crash, stopped a short distance away, and Babers and Lowe went to the car.
“The closer we got to the car, the clearer we could see smoke billowing,” Lowe said. “We knew whoever was in the car wasn’t just going to walk away and have everything be OK.
Baber and Lowe were able to pull the 25-year-old woman away from the vehicle, and stayed with her until police and fire personnel arrived on the scene. The coach was even able to go back to the burning vehicle and retrieve the woman’s purse and keys.
As for Babers motivation in acting the way he did, read the Blade‘s account of the incident. It’ll be well worth your time.