Mike Aresco

Mike Aresco says AAC is committed to full cost of attendance stipends

As support for the power conferences in college football getting a chance to play by a set of modified rules or guidelines, the American Athletic Conference continues to make a case for being included in the big boys club. commissioner Mike Aresco says his conference is ready to provide some of the benefits the other big conferences desire, scholarships providing for the full cost of attendance.

Aresco noted the AAC is among the “high resource” conferences in the country, suggesting the conference should be included in the conversation with the Big Ten, ACC, SEC and so on. This is a familiar stance. When the Big East still fielded a football conference, the sales pitch was always that the conference expected to be included in any potential plans the power conferences had drafted, including a possible split from the NCAA. With the topic of autonomy spreading and gaining support for the power conferences, the AAC is once again making a case to be included in the process.

According to Ostrout, Aresco suggested the AAC has sources of revenues other conferences lack. What he is referring to is the incoming exit fee money to be paid to the conference by Rutgers and Louisville, and any other leftover payments still due from previous members. Rutgers will be leaving for the Big Ten this year and agreed to a buyout price of $11.5 million to leave the conference for the Big Ten. Louisville had previously negotiated an $11 million exit fee.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx