Former Notre Dame linebacker Prince Shembo admitted over the weekend that he was investigated for sexual assault allegations made by a Saint Mary’s College student who ended up committing suicide back in 2010.
“I’m innocent,” Shembo told ESPN.com. “I didn’t do anything. I’m, pretty much, I’m the one who ended it and pretty much told the girl that we should stop, that we shouldn’t be doing this and that’s what happened. So, I don’t know.”
To this point, Shembo’s name has never been mentioned publicly with the probe.
Back in September 2010, Lizzy Seeberg, a Saint Mary’s College freshman, committed suicide after accusing an Irish football player of sexually assaulting her in a Notre Dame residence hall. The university found the player’s actions did not violate its sexual misconduct policy and it was decided that the player would not be charged.
Shembo is now preparing for the draft and getting scrutinized by NFL teams, hence the public statements. Addressing the matter will probably help him in the long run, as rumors about him have been floating around since then.
“The reason I wanted to talk was just to clear up my name,” said Shembo. “My name was in flames, pretty much.”
In early February, Bill Snyder confirmed that Kaleb Prewett was no longer a member of the Kansas State football team. Fastforward three months, and it appears the former Big 12 defensive back has found himself a new home at a former former Big 12 school.
While the school has yet to announce it, Prewett’s Twitter profile now indicates that he is a member of the Missouri Tigers. “Former Kansas State safety. Current Mizzou safety,” the bio now reads.
A couple of tweets from the former Missouri high school player seemed to hint at the development as well.
Prewett started eight of the first nine games at free safety, with the only game he missed being due to a concussion. He lost his job for the final three games, however, and then was kept away from K-State’s bowl game because of an alcohol-related arrest.
Prewett, a three-star 2014 recruit, played in six games as a true freshman.
Barring the unforeseen, Prewett will be forced to sit out the 2016 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules. The defensive back would then have two years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2017.
Failing to make much of a dent during his first two-plus years in Knoxville, Neiko Creamer has decided to ply his football wares elsewhere.
Wednesday evening, UT head coach Butch Jones confirmed that Creamer has decided to leave the Volunteers football program and will transfer out. According to Jones, he and his staff will help the tight end find the right fit at a new home.
No reason was given for Creamer’s decision to look elsewhere, although the opportunity for more playing time would be a good place to start.
A three-star member of UT’s 2014 recruiting class, Creamer, whose father, Andre, played for the Vols in the eighties, was rated as the No. 18 player at any position in the state of Maryland. After redshirting as a true freshman, and working as both a linebacker and tight end, Creamer played in one game during the 2015 season.
A former Bowling Green football player who claimed he suffered permanent brain damage has settled a lawsuit with the university.
According to the Toledo Blade, Cody Silk will receive a $712,500 settlement in the agreement reached between himself and BGSU. As part of the agreement, the university did not admit fault and the former offensive lineman agreed that he would not pursue any further damage claims.
Silk had filed his suit in 2013, claiming “that BGSU coaches and medical staff failed to withhold him from practices after he suffered repeated concussions.” Silk claimed that he had suffered two concussions in 2010, but was cleared by the football program’s medical staff to return to full-contact status in practice; shortly thereafter, he suffered a third concussion.
The lineman subsequently parted ways with the team, lost his scholarship and dropped out of school.
The settlement came after Silk’s attorneys had asked the Ohio Court of Claims to reconsider their initial rejection. From the Columbus Dispatch:
The court initially rejected Silk’s claims, finding Silk signed a release of liability to play football in which he assumed the risk of possible injury. He refiled the claim last year. A state attorney claimed Silk was exaggerating and overreporting his symptoms, but the settlement will keep the case from going to trial.
In their motion for reconsideration, Silks’ representation contended, the Blade wrote, “the release [of liability] didn’t cover ‘wanton and willful misconduct,’ which he alleged BGSU’s conduct was.”
An injury that wiped out most of Keon Hatcher‘s 2015 season has resurfaced.
On social media over the weekend, Hatcher posted a video which revealed his left foot encased in a post-surgery boot. WholeHogSports.com subsequently confirmed through multiple sources that Hatcher had indeed undergone surgery recently.
The website writes “[i]t’s unclear why Hatcher required the surgery or whether he will miss any practice or playing time because of the surgery.” The university has thus far declined to address the receiver’s status, although head coach Bret Bielema could be expected to touch on the situation during a post-spring press conference Thursday.
During Arkansas’ Week 2 upset loss to Toledo, Hatcher suffered a broken left foot that at first was expected to sideline him for a minimum of six weeks but, following surgery, ultimately cost him the remainder of the season.
At the time of the injury, Hatcher was the Razorbacks’ leader with 198 receiving yards and two touchdowns. In 2014, he led the team with 558 yards receiving and six touchdowns.
Hatcher received a medical hardship waiver for the 2015 season, which will allow him to return as a fifth-year senior this season.