Skip to content

Former Orange starting punter decides to leave Syracuse program

FisherJonathan_2011

Syracuse punter Jonathan Fisher has left the football program to focus on graduating in December, a school spokesperson told Syracuse.com on Friday.

Fisher was the starting punter for the Orange in 2012, averaging 38.58 yards on 52 punts. However, he lost his job to walk-on Riley Dixon in the third week of the 2013 season. He ended up appearing in just three games last year, averaging 39.1 yards on eight punts with a long of 55.

Meanwhile, Dixon enjoyed a breakout season, averaging 42.15 yards per punt, including a school record 75 yarder against Clemson. He was subsequently placed on scholarship.

The allure of being the backup punter at Syracuse was clearly not enough to keep Fisher from quitting football and becoming a full-time student.

Photo: Cuse.com.

Permalink 4 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlantic Coast Conference, Rumor Mill, Syracuse Orange, Top Posts
4 Responses to “Former Orange starting punter decides to leave Syracuse program”
  1. dhardy8207 says: Feb 23, 2014 1:19 PM

    Good Luck to this young man in pursuance of his degree….

  2. meatcarroll says: Feb 23, 2014 1:55 PM

    And nothing of value was lost.

  3. seanb20124 says: Feb 23, 2014 7:50 PM

    Was his scholarship taken as well?

  4. ggallin4evr says: Feb 24, 2014 5:01 AM

    Good for him!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!