Cyler Miles

Sorting through Washington’s quarterback situation

There is reason to be optimistic about the future of Washington football with Chris Petersen taking over the program, but quarterback is not currently one of those reasons. Already having to deal with the departure of Keith Price to the NFL, Washington is also without Cyler Miles at the moment due to a suspension.

Miles, the suspected heir to Price under center, was suspended by Petersen in February for a violation of team rules. As spring practices open for the Huskies, that suspension is still in place. Wide receiver Damore’ea was also suspended, and Petersen is not going to comment on either until they return to the team, whenever that may be.

“There has been no talk of those guys,” Petersen said to the Associated Press. “They haven’t been here. We’ve moved on and we’re going. It’s not about those guys. It’s about the guys in the room. We’ll just let that play out and see how it goes.”

So, with no returning starter in spring camp and his likely successor serving an indefinite suspension, it would seem the spring will offer some opportunities for younger and less experienced quarterbacks to get some playing time and perhaps open some eyes for Petersen and the new coaching staff at Washington. Jeff Lindquist, a redshirt sophomore, and Troy Williams, a redshirt freshman, are the only two quarterbacks currently on the roster eligible for spring practice. Neither recorded any stats for the Huskies last season.

Often times when a new head coach and coaching staff come in to a program, every player gets a clean slate. Miles, Lindquist and Williams were each a four-star recruit out of high school, so from a potential standpoint they all appear to be on some level playing ground. Miles saw some playing time in 2013, but that should not be considered too much of an advantage over the other two options this spring as far as Petersen is concerned. It might be interesting to note that of the three quarterbacks, only Lindquist attracted any attention from Petersen as head coach at Boise State, although an offer never was extended by the Broncos.

Regardless of the future status of Miles at Washington, the starting quarterback job should very much be up for grabs starting today.

‘Canes down three starters for Thursday night game vs. Hokies

MIAMI GARDENS, FL - OCTOBER 17: Brenden Motley #9 of the Virginia Tech Hokies escapes a tackle from Chad Thomas #9 of the Miami Hurricanes during a game  at Sun Life Stadium on October 17, 2015 in Miami Gardens, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)