Boise State’s offense figured to have a little bit of a different look this upcoming season with a change in head coaches. Chris Petersen is off to Washington to push the Huskies over the hump in the Pac 12, so one of his former assistants has returned to try to get Boise State to bounce back a little bit as well. Bryan Harsin is getting the Broncos ready to pick up the pace this spring, and that offensive mentality is expected to carry over in to the fall.
“We’ll be no-huddle and we’ll have movement within it,” Harsin said, according to Boise State beat reporter Chad Cripe of The Idaho Statesman. “We’ll still have personnel groups within it. There will be times of tempo and times for getting a little bit of funk in there. … The core still will be running the football on offense. That won’t change. To be a successful team, to be a championship team, you have to run the ball.”
Harsin ran this sort of offense in his short time at Arkansas State and offensive coordinator Mike Sanford dabbled in at while at Stanford. The news of the new style of offense at Boise State, or perhaps more of a renewed vision of the offensive philosophy on the blue turf, comes a day after the NCAA’s Football Rules Oversight committee tabled the 10-second defensive substitution proposal that has ruffled feathers of coaches using up-tempo offenses. Needless to say, Harsin is happy to hear that news. He responded to a question about the proposal being shelved with a dose of humor, staring at his watch for 10 seconds before responding.
“It’s not a lot of fun, is it, to sit here for that long? I’m glad it didn’t pass, to say the least,” Harsin said. “I think the way somebody wants to run their offense, that’s their offense. … You can go fast if you want to but you’re not always doing that.”
Harsin also announced that two players, tight end Holden Huff and linebacker Andrew Pint, will be suspended for the first game of the season against Ole Miss. Both are suspended for a violation of team rules, although the specifics of the violations is not known. Ole Miss announced safety Denzel Nkemdiche will also be suspended for the season opener.
One of the most powerful men in collegiate athletics is nearing the end of his reign.
During his time at the podium during Big Ten Media Days Tuesday, commissioner Jim Delany hinted very strongly that he would not be around when the conference’s new media rights deal expires in 2022. In fact, the 68-year-old commish sounded fairly positive that he’ll be somewhere other than the league’s headquarters in Rosemont, Ill., when that deal comes up for negotiations.
“I have a lot of energy and a lot of interest in what’s going on in the college space today,” Delany said. “I will be around for a bit. Whether I’m around here for six years is probably a little bit beyond how I see it.”
A short time later, Nicole Auerbach of USA Today, citing a person with direct knowledge of the situation, reported that Delany will step down in 2020. Jut when in 2020 Delany would ceded control after more than three decades on the job isn’t clear.
Delany took over as commissioner of the conference in 1989. Arguably his greatest accomplishment in that role was helping the league to develop the Big Ten Network, an in-house ATM that has helped the conference stay in step with the SEC financially.
During his tenure, he also helped shepherd the Big ten through the maze of expansion, first with Penn State in the early nineties and then with Nebraska in 2011 and Maryland and Rutgers three years later.
The up-and-down playing career of Raheim Huskey, at least in Huntington, has officially come to an end.
Marshall announced in a press release that Huskey has been dismissed from the Thundering Herd by head coach Doc Holliday. The only reason given was “a violation of team rules and policies.
The dismissal is the latest misstep/setback for the middle linebacker.
Projected as the starter heading into summer camp last year, Huskey was leapfrogged on the depth chart by Devontre’a Tyler. Then, in October, Huskey was indefinitely suspended for unspecified violations of team rules. He was reinstated and returned to the team in time to participate in spring practice earlier this year.
After taking a redshirt as a true freshman in 2013, Huskey played in 20 games the past two seasons. He played in seven last season prior to his suspension.
In the 2014 Conference USA championship game, Huskey, starting place of the injured Jermaine Holmes, was credited with eight tackles and 2.5 sacks in the win over Louisiana Tech.
As if Ole Miss didn’t have enough off-field issues with which to deal, now this situation pops up.
According to online jail records first obtained by HottyToddy.com, Charles Wiley was arrested Monday evening and charged with misdemeanor domestic violence. A female was arrested on the same charge as well.
No details of what led to the arrests have been divulged. The defensive lineman posted bond and was released from the Lafayette County Jail late this morning. According to the Jackson Clarion-Ledger, Wiley is scheduled to appear in court next month.
In a statement sent to the media, head coach Hugh Freeze indicated that Wiley “is being withheld from all team activities” as the program gathers more information.
“We are aware of the situation and recognize the proper authorities responsible for the matter,” the statement began. “Charles is being withheld from all team activities while the process moves forward. We take incidents like this very seriously and will make decisions once the course of actions is complete.”
A four-star member of Ole Miss’ 2016 recruiting class, Wiley was rated as the No. 20 weakside defensive end in the country. He was an early enrollee who participated in spring practice earlier this year, and had been expected to be a part of the line rotation this season.
And then there were two.
A week ago, Ryan Newsome took to Twitter to announce his decision to transfer from Texas. A couple of days later, the wide receiver revealed that he already has a Top Six list: Alabama, Arizona State, Michigan State, Tennessee, Texas A&M and USC.
Over the weekend, Newsome revealed he had whittled that list down to the Spartans and Sun Devils.
In an interview with the Lansing State Journal late last week, Newsome stated that MSU was “the first school to reach out to me” after his transfer decision was announced. Newsome is expected to visit both campuses before making a final decision.
Regardless of where he lands, Newsome will be forced to sit out the 2016 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules. He’d then have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2017.
Newsome was a four-star member of the Longhorns’ 2015 recruiting class, rated as the No. 27 receiver in the country and the No. 32 player at any position in the talent-rich state of Texas. As a true freshman last season, Newsome caught four passes for 23 yards.