Saban looking for ‘most consistent guy’ as his new QB

7 Comments

And, in other news, you have to pay your taxes and you will die.

During his very successful time at Alabama, Nick Saban has relied on “game managers” at quarterback, whether it be John Parker Wilson or Greg McElroy or AJ McCarron.  While the latter would buck against and bristle at such a label, it is what it is: the Tide head coach views turnovers and mental mistakes and bad decisions at the most critical position on the field in roughly the same way he views the proliferation of up-tempo offenses.

With Alabama kicking off spring practice Saturday, and with McCarron not under center for the first time in three years. the Tide has officially commenced the process of replacing the player who was partly responsible for BCS titles in 2011 and 2012.  When asked what particular traits he was looking for in the player who will be expected to fill the void created by McCarron’s departure, Saban’s response was, well, predictable of someone who leans heavily on the managing of a game.

“We’re looking for the guy — success is defined by consistency in performance, alright,” Saban said according to al.com. “So who can be the most consistent guy doing his job well at that position? Alright, now that’s a critical position because that guy distributes the ball to someone on every down, whether he hands it to them, throws it to them. The choices and decisions that they have to make goes a long way in how effective and efficient your offense runs.”

As it stands now, Blake Sims is the only quarterback on the roster who has thrown a pass at the collegiate level.  Also a part of the competition, at least in the early portion of the 15 spring sessions, are sophomore Alec Morris, redshirt freshmen Cooper Bateman and Parker McLeod and true freshman David Cornwell.  Sims served as McCarron’s primary backup in 2013, while Bateman and Cornwell are four-star members of UA’s 2013 and 2014 recruiting classes, respectively.

“I think all of you know that the quarterback competition this spring is going to be something that a lot of people are going to get a lot of opportunity at,” Saban said yesterday. “Jacob is not going to be here in the spring, but he’s certainly going to get an opportunity when he gets here as well.

“That’s going to be the goal, to develop each of our quarterbacks and see which one we feel give would have the best opportunity to be successful next year.

One (significant) part of the equation who’s missing, one who some (most?) expect to be under center when the Tide takes the field for the season opener against West Virginia, is the Jacob to which Saban referred.  After graduating from Florida State in May, Jacob Coker will officially transfer to Alabama and enter the quarterback fray this summer.  Coker was reportedly neck-and-neck with 2013 Heisman winner Jameis Winston in the run-up to the Seminoles’ BCS title run; that “close” competition in tandem with Coker’s physical gifts equates to the quarterback competition in Tuscaloosa this spring serving as nothing more than a structured dress rehearsal for the real battle that begins in earnest in early August.

Or, as al.com put it: “Coach Nick Saban is quick to point out Florida State transfer Jacob Coker won’t be here until summer, so the spring is still an incomplete race.”

In other words, take any reports coming out of Tuscaloosa over the next month or so on the state of the quarterback race with a rather sizable grain of salt.

“You guys are going to ask me at least 1,000 times between now and the first game who’s the first-team quarterback,” Saban told the media earlier this month, “and I’m telling you right now you’re probably going to get a 1,000 ‘We’re going to wait and see.'”

Again.  Grain of salt.

Victim of alleged WKU football attack plans to file charges

Getty Images
Leave a comment

A former Western Kentucky fraternity member says he was attacked by a group of Hilltoppers football players and plans to file charges.

Jerald Armfield, an alum of WKU’s Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, told WBKO-TV he was caught in an ongoing feud between the fraternity and the football team:

“I went to the house in the best interest of the fraternity and Western as a whole to prevent any type of violence from occurring. We got up there and realized they were all hiding behind garbage cans, trees, and buildings.”

“I never in my wildest dreams thought they would attack me in the manner that they did. They all started surrounding me. One of them threw a rock at me. It was within a few seconds that one of them punched me in the face.”

“I fell down. I was kicked several times. The whole time they were beating me, I was begging them to stop, telling them I wasn’t here the night before, I had nothing to to do with it, like please stop, please stop, and they didn’t.”

Armfield said between nine and 10 people ultimately attacked him; it isn’t known for sure how many of that group are on the football team, though the program’s involvement in the incident is being investigated.

“We are aware of the allegations involving a few members of our football team,” the program said in the statement when word of the altercation broke three weeks ago. “We are cooperating fully with the authorities. However, at this time, we have not received a police report and cannot provide further comment.”

While the status of the investigation is currently unknown, Armfield told WBKO he would like it to end with multiple charges. “I made it very clear that night when the police arrived on the scene that I wanted charges pressed,” he said. “As far as I know a detective from Bowling Green Police Department has it. As it stands right now, I still want charges pressed. They need to be held accountable for what they did not only as citizens but as students at Western.”

Baylor moves to dismiss lawsuit claiming 52 rapes over 3-year period

Getty Images
4 Comments

Baylor has filed a motion to dismiss a lawsuit claiming 31 football players committed 52 rapes over a 3-year period from 2011-14. The school is citing the expiration of the statute of limitations and that the allegations do not meet the level of “deliberate indifference,” according to the Waco Tribune-Herald.

The suit was initially filed in late January who anonymously claimed she was raped by then-Bears football players Tre'Von Armstead and Shaymichael Chatman in 2013. Armstead and Chatman have both been indicted for that incident. Armstead was arrested earlier this month in Las Vegas in charges of resisting arrest in addition to the 2013 case.

Baylor also challenged the suit’s claim of a widespread culture of sexual violence, including claims the Baylor Bruins hostess program was encouraged to sleep with recruits in order to entice them to Baylor.

“Baylor does not agree with or concede the accuracy of plaintiff’s 146-paragraph complaint and its immaterial and inflammatory assertions,” the motion states.

Former offensive coordinator Kendal Briles told a recruit, according to the suit, “Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor and they love football players.”

 

Mark Dantonio breaks silence to reveal additional player suspensions

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mark Dantonio broke his silence Tuesday to talk about all the things he couldn’t talk about.

Speaking publicly for the first time since National Signing Day, Dantonio said more players have been suspended in addition to the three players and one staff member already suspended in connection with an ongoing sexual assault investigation. There are actually three investigations ongoing — a criminal probe, a Title IX investigation and an outside evaluation of the football program.

How many additional  players were suspended in conjunction with the investigations? Dantonio couldn’t say.

When were they suspended? Dantonio couldn’t say.

When were the original three players suspended? Dantonio couldn’t say.

How, one may wonder, has Michigan State managed to keep the suspended players’ identities secret despite spring practice now being a full month old? Easy: the Spartans have essentially shielded a black cloak around the entire program. The media hasn’t been allowed to watch practice. No depth charts or rosters have been released. No photos or videos have been produced. The content on @MSU_Football has vaguely referred to the ongoing spring practices by referencing the April 1 spring game, but all other tweets have centered around Michigan State’s involvement in the NFL Draft or the basketball Spartans’ NCAA Tournament berth. The program didn’t even comment on two players’ announced transfers throughout the offseason.

Dantonio even deemed it “trivial” to discuss Michigan State’s quarterback derby. The one piece of actual Spartans football news Dantonio revealed? Linebacker Drake Martinez, he of the one tackle in two appearances last season, has transferred.

Greg Sankey releases statement against Arkansas guns-at-sporting events law

Getty Images
2 Comments

The state of Arkansas has passed a law that allows concealed-carry handguns on publicly-owned property, which would include college sporting events.

Since it was realized immediately upon the bill’s announcement what a terrible, horrendous idea allowing lubed-up sports fans to bring handguns with them to the game would be, the law was quickly amended to exclude college sporting events.

But on Tuesday, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey released a statement arguing for Razorbacks events to be exempted from the law.

To date, Arkansas AD Jeff Long and head football coach Bret Bielema have yet to comment on the law, and Sankey’s statement today is likely coordinated with that — pushing the buck upwards while not crossing those in the Natural State that may be in favor of the bill.