Jameis Winston

Baseball will cost Jameis Winston just one day of spring football

6 Comments

For those concerned that a stick & ball sport will have a negative impact on Jameis Winston‘s “real” sport, your fears have been allayed this afternoon.

At his pre-spring press conference Wednesday, head coach Jimbo Fisher said the reigning Heisman Trophy winner will miss just one of Florida State’s 15 spring practice sessions, which began this afternoon.  That lone absence will come this coming Saturday as the baseball Seminoles have a game scheduled against ACC rival Clemson.

Other than that, Winston will be on the field as FSU begins its first on-field work since claiming the 2013 BCS title this past January.

Winston is FSU’s closer as well as a designated hitter.  The 17-2 Seminoles are currently ranked first in the country by NCAA.com and second behind South Carolina by Baseball America.  For his part, Winston says he will enjoy pulling sports double-duty for the next handful of weeks.

“This is the funnest part of my life right now because I am so busy,” Winston said. “I love going back and forth between football and baseball. …

“Communication around FSU is great. I never have to worry about splitting my time between two sports. It runs smoothly.”

Last year around this time, Winston was embarking on what would initially be a four-man quarterback competition in spring practice, even as most viewed the former five-star prospect as the prohibitive favorite to win the job.  Interestingly, Fisher stated this afternoon that Winston will take the same number of reps he took last spring, which means the other players vying to become Winston’s understudy will get their fair share of snaps this spring.

The impetus behind Fisher’s decision for reps at the position is likely a product of the departure of Jacob Coker, Winston’s backup in 2013 who announced earlier this year he would be transferring to Alabama.  With precious little experience behind Winston, Fisher and his offensive coaching staff are no doubt looking to get as many practice reps as possible for the younger players.

While the volume of Winston’s reps may pale in comparison to other starters around the country, the quarterback says there are still things he wants to work on football-wise this spring.

“I always want to get better,” the redshirt sophomore said. “I need to get the ball up higher and work on my hips and if I can do that I’m going to throw rockets.”

In other pre-spring news, Fisher also confirmed yesterday’s report that running back Dalvin Cook will miss the whole of spring practice.  The touted five-star recruit suffered a torn labrum in what was described as a freak accident earlier this month.

Fourth Georgia Tech player to transfer since end of season

DUBLIN, IRELAND - SEPTEMBER 03: Christian Philpott of Georgia Tech celebrates victory over Boston College in the Aer Lingus College Football Classic Ireland 2016 at Aviva Stadium on September 3, 2016 in Dublin, Ireland.  (Photo by Patrick Bolger/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Late last month, leading rusher Marcus Marshall become one of a trio of Georgia Tech football players who have announced their decisions to transfer since the end of the regular season.  Thursday, that trio became a quartet.

On his personal Twitter account last night, Christian Philpott (pictured, No. 82) announced that he will be transferring from the Yellow Jackets in January.  The wide receiver said he came to the decision after talks with family and friends, although he didn’t detail precisely why he was leaving the football program.

If Philpott decides another FBS program will be his next collegiate stop, he’d have to sit out the 2017 season to satisfy NCAA transfer bylaws. Beginning in 2018, he’d then have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

A three-star 2015 signee, Philpott took a redshirt as a true freshman because of an injury. This season, Philpott caught one pass for nine yards in three games this season.

UNC’s Nazair Jones leaving Tar Heels early for NFL

CHAPEL HILL, NC - NOVEMBER 14:  Nazair Jones #90 and Dominquie Green #26 of the North Carolina Tar Heels tackle Mark Walton #1 of the Miami Hurricanes during their game at Kenan Stadium on November 14, 2015 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Another day, another college player giving up the college football life for a professional payday.

North Carolina announced Friday that Nazair Jones has elected to forego his final season of eligibility and make himself available for the 2017 NFL draft.  The defensive tackle will play in UNC’s Sun Bowl matchup with Stanford Dec. 30 before shifting his focus to preparing for the draft.

“I’m so thankful for this amazing university,” statement from Jones began. “The University of North Carolina has changed me so much since the first day I stepped on campus. Throughout my career, I have been with a family of brothers and found people that have become my closest friends. I want to thank our amazing coaching staff, support staff and an incredible fan base. I know Tar Heel nation will always have my back!”

“It’s been a pleasure coaching Naz throughout his career at UNC and watching him grow as a person both on and off the field,” head coach Larry Fedora said. “He has overcome great physical adversity and improved tremendously since he came into the program in 2013. This season he was the leader of our defensive line and someone everyone on the team respected. I believe he has a bright future in professional football if he continues to work hard and focus on being the best he can be.”

Jones has started 21 of the 34 games in which he’s played.  The past two seasons, he was named third-team All-ACC.

Urban Meyer could lose two OSU assistants to FBS head-coaching jobs

CHAMPAIGN, IL - OCTOBER 15:  Head coach Luke Fickell of the Ohio State Buckeyes watches as his team takes on the Illinois Fighting Illini at Memorial Stadium on October 15, 2011 in Champaign, Illinois. Ohio State defeated Illinois 17-7.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thanks to a flurry of activity the past couple of days, there are just five head coach openings at the FBS level remaining.  Depending on how things play out the next 24-48 hours, it may be a couple of Ohio State assistants who fill two of those openings.

The speculation with the most traction appears to involve Luke Fickell, with the OSU co-defensive coordinator reportedly the frontrunner for the Cincinnati job.  According to one report, negotiations between Fickell and UC officials is currently underway; another says there have been talks but no negotiations.

The only certainty in this situation, it seems, is that an announcement on a new Bearcats coach won’t come today.  It could, though, come this weekend.

Losing Fickell could actually cost Urban Meyer two assistants at once to an in-state school as, the speculation goes, cornerbacks coach/special teams coordinator Kerry Coombs would potentially follow the coach to UC as defensive coordinator.

In addition to those two assistants, Buckeyes’ co-offensive coordinator Ed Warinner is in play for the head-coaching vacancy at Western Kentucky.

In addition to UC and WKU, the remaining FBS openings include Florida Atlantic, Temple South Florida. Charlie Strong is the overwhelming favorite for the USF job and an announcement of his hiring could come as early as today.

Matt Rhule adds Texas high school coach association president to Baylor football staff

Baylor University's new football coach Matt Rhule speaks during a public event at the Ferrell Center, Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016, in Waco, Texas. Rhule replaces Jim Grobe, who led the Bears to a 6-6 record as interim coach this season after Art Briles was fired May 26. (Rod Aydelotte/Waco Tribune Herald via AP)
Leave a comment

This is about as smart a move as Matt Rhule can make.

Baylor’s hiring of Rhule was widely hailed as a masterstroke by the scandal-plagued football program; Wednesday, the coach showed the class he will be bringing to Waco.  The biggest negative to the hire?  Rhule has absolutely no ties to the state of Texas as either a coach or a player.

Friday, Rhule began the process of rectifying the deficit in that area by hiring San Antonio Reagan head football coach David Wetzel to be a part of his BU football staff, the Dallas Morning News confirmed.  Wetzel, who played his college football for the Bears, has been a head coach in the state for two decades, and is currently the president of the Texas High School Coaches Association.

Wetzel has been in the San Antonio area for a dozen years.  Prior to that, he was in the Killeen area of Texas.

The News writes that “Wetzel is not expected to be an assistant coach but will serve in another capacity, such as player development.” While he may have been the first, Wetzel certainly won’t be the last Rhule hire with extensive ties to the state.