Kain Colter

Union organizer says interest in college players union is spreading

11 Comments

The progress made by Northwestern football players so far in their push to form a union has not gone unnoticed around the country. According to a union spokesman, players from multiple unnamed universities have been in contact about the possibility of following in the steps of Northwestern’s players.

”We’re not giving out who it is or who they are, but the answer is yes,” said Tim Waters of the United Steelworkers, according to the Associated Press. The United Steelworkers backed the players union development at Northwestern . ”There’s a lot of excitement out there. We’ve been contacted by a number of players.”

Players at Miami are certainly paying attention to what is going on at Northwestern. Some players have expressed an interest in planning to form a union if the developments at Northwestern continue to show promise of a union. Of course, there is still a long way for the Northwestern players to go before forming the first college players union in the country.

Last week a regional director of the National Labor Relations Board in Chicago ruled in favor of the Northwestern players, stating they should be recognized by Northwestern University as employees, giving them the right to unionize. Northwestern University has already made the decision to challenge the ruling. A vote among Northwestern football players has also been set to determine if they will formally unionize.

”It’s a process, a long process. But leaders of teams across the country have reached out and said we support it and are interested in looking at this for our team.”

Oregon DE Torrodney Prevot suspended for alleged assault

TUCSON, AZ - NOVEMBER 23:  linebacker Torrodney Prevot #86 of the Oregon Ducks watches from the sidelines during the college football game against the Arizona Wildcats at Arizona Stadium on November 23, 2013 in Tucson, Arizona. The Wildcats defeated the Ducks 42-16.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Oregon has suspended defensive end Torrodney Prevot for a “violation of University and Department of Athletics code of conduct,” head coach Mark Helfrich has announced.

“At the conclusion of the University process, his status as a student-athlete will be evaluated further,” Helfrich said in a statement.

A former Ducks female student-athlete has filed a criminal complaint against Prevot, the Oregon student paper The Daily Emerald reports, claiming he has assaulted her twice in the past year. The paper reports the Eugene Police Department is investigating the matter, in addition to Oregon’s Title IX office, as is required by federal law.

The defense is expected to be a weak point again for the Ducks, with questions abounding about whether the Oregon personnel fits with new coordinator Brady Hoke‘s scheme. “We’re a long way from being any kind of defense,” Hoke said Friday, via the Oregonian. “We’ve got a long way to go to be a defense that’s going to be effective in this league.”

Prevot was not listed on the depth chart Oregon released Friday.

A Houston native, Prevot appeared in all 13 games last fall, starting five, with 48 tackles and 7.5 TFLs.

Western Michigan suspends two players for alleged stick-up of female student

TOLEDO, OH - NOVEMBER 27: Head coach P.J. Fleck of the Western Michigan Broncos on the sidelines during the second quarter against the Toledo Rocketsat Glass Bowl on November 27, 2015 in Toledo, Ohio. Western Michigan Broncos defeated Toledo Rockets 35-30. (Photo by Andrew Weber/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Two Western Michigan players allegedly held a female WMU student at gun- and knife-point in an off-campus area of Kalamazoo after committing an on-campus robbery, the TV station WWMT has reported. The players, wide receiver Bryson White and linebacker Ron George are now in custody.

According the report, the pair committed a robbery in their on-campus dorm, then proceeded to stick up a student with both a semi-automatic firearm and a knife.

Head coach P.J. Fleck has suspended both players from the team.

“Having heard this news early this morning, I took action to immediately suspend both freshman players indefinitely,” he told WWMT in a statement. “We expect to learn more about these allegations today. I’m extremely disappointed and want to assure the community that this kind of conduct is unacceptable and does not represent the values of this team or this university. The students will be held accountable to all University student- code, Athletic-student athlete and Football Code of conduct standards. Violations of these standards can lead to dismissal from the team and University.”

White and George have been removed from Western Michigan’s online roster.

 

 

Duke QB Thomas Sirk to miss season with Achilles injury

Duke quarterback Thomas Sirk (1) looks to pass against North Carolina during the first half of an NCAA college football game in Chapel Hill, N.C., Saturday, Nov. 7, 2015. (AP Photo/Gerry Broome)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Duke quarterback Thomas Sirk‘s senior season is over before it started.

The Blue Devils announced Saturday Sirk suffered a partial tear of his left Achilles tendon during Thursday’s practice and will undergo surgery at an undisclosed date.

A fifth-year senior, the injury will end Sirk’s career unless the NCAA grants him a medical redshirt. Which, to be clear, there’s no reason — on the surface, at least — he wouldn’t receive one. This is the third Achilles injury Sirk has suffered in the last three-and-a-half years. He missed the 2013 campaign with an Achilles rupture in his right ankle during the spring, and ruptured his left Achilles in February of this year.

Sirk led the Devils to a Pinstripe Bowl victory last season. On the year, he completed 59 percent of his throws for 2,625 yards with 16 touchdowns.

Parker Boehme, a redshirt junior and Sirk’s backup last season, figures to start in Sirk’s stead. He completed 43-of-78 throws for 579 yards last season.

Miami dismisses Muhammad, Grace for NCAA rules violations

MIAMI GARDENS, FL - SEPTEMBER 21: Al-Quadin Muhammad #98 of the Miami Hurricanes sacks Antonio Bostick #13 of the Savannah State Tigers on September 21, 2013 at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida. (Photo by Joel Auerbach/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

Miami has dismissed veterans Al-Quadin Muhammad and Jermaine Grace for violations of NCAA rules, the program announced Saturday.

The reason for the investigation, per the Palm Beach Post, was the pair’s use of luxury rental cars.

The statement from ‘Canes head coach Mark Richt:

“The University of Miami announced today that red-shirt junior Al-Quadin Muhammad and senior Jermaine Grace have been permanently dismissed from the Hurricanes football program for violating NCAA rules.  The University will, however, continue their financial aid through graduation.  The decision was made in consultation with outside counsel and after discussions with the NCAA enforcement staff.  As no staff members or boosters were involved in the violations, the program will not be subject to sanctions and, at this time, the University deems this matter closed.”

Muhammad (pictured, 98) was one of Miami’s top returning players on the defensive line. An Irvington, N.J., native, he registered 54 tackles while leading the club with 8.5 TFLs and five sacks a season ago.

Grace was also penciled in to start along the Hurricanes’ defensive front. The Miami Gardens native posted a team-high 79 tackles from his linebacker spot with six TFLs, two sacks and five pass breakups, which also ranked third on the club.

The suspensions could have an impact beyond affecting defensive coordinator Manny Diaz‘s unit as well.

The Hurricanes’ probation doesn’t end until October.

Miami will have time to ease Muhammad and Grace’s replacements into the lineup. The Hurricanes open with Florida A&M and Florida Atlantic at home, then visit Appalachian State and take a week off before opening ACC play at Georgia Tech. Florida State comes to Miami on Oct. 8.