LSU AD on beer sales: It’s going to happen

Beer

The SEC prohibits all conference members from selling beer to fans, but LSU has been discussing the possibility of selling beer at football games for months. Now LSU Athletics Director Joe Alleva says it could be a reality fairly soon.

“As we talk about the fan experience, which is very important, I think there may come a day that we may sell beer at college events at LSU,” Alleva said while addressing an alumni group Monday, according to USA Today. “I think at some point — I don’t know if it will be five years from now, 10 years from now — but I think at some point, I think it’s going to happen.”

Alleva has said before that selling beer would enhance the fan experience at a time when schools around the country continue to look for ways to make for a better game day experience inside the stadium.

The SEC does allow the selling of wine in club seats but the taps to distribute beer to fans in the stands remains cut off. Alleva made note of the studies regarding beer sales at West Virginia, which suggest alcohol-related arrests have gone down since beer sales were introduced in recent years.

“I just think it’s something that we have to study and look at in the future,” Alleva said. “You never say never. I think there’s a possibility that could happen.”

Arkansas has expressed an interest in selling beer but beer sales at the annual Florida-Georgia game remains unlikely.

Minnesota experimented with beer sales and would like to continue with it. Beer sales at Michigan and Ohio State also seem to be off the drink menu.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: LSU Tigers, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
18 Responses to “LSU AD on beer sales: It’s going to happen”
  1. cometkazie says: May 12, 2014 8:50 PM

“Alleva has said before that selling beer would enhance the fan experience at a time when schools around the country continue to look for ways to make for a better game day experience inside the stadium.”

AD speech for “It’s gonna improve our bottom line.”

2. cubano76 says: May 12, 2014 8:55 PM

Dear Mr. Joe Alleva,

Please run for Governor of LA. That is all.

God bless you, you wonderful American.

Me

3. johnclaytonsponytail says: May 12, 2014 10:20 PM

Well its been hurting attendance for the final quarter of the game lately. People tailgate all day to come into Tiger stadium and stop drinking. So they leave to watch the game on TV right outside the stadium in an RV, bar, ect. Its basically a part of our culture down here to drink and celebrate. And I’ve always considered Louisiana to have the nations best drunk drivers anyway so I seriously doubt its gonna change much in that category either.

4. onlyoneleft says: May 12, 2014 11:08 PM

What does it matter? Those people don’t know how to act anyway

5. bostonfrogs says: May 13, 2014 12:16 AM

Hopefully, a little extra drinking will help LSU fans forget the pain of the Gary DiNardo era once and for all.

6. longborer69 says: May 13, 2014 6:55 AM

It works really well at European soccer games.

7. cometkazie says: May 13, 2014 8:24 AM

That’s Gerry DiNardo.

More than one to forget, Curley comes to mind.

8. wolfman55h says: May 13, 2014 9:36 AM

It’s money. I can’t wait until big boosters can get lap dances on the stadium concourse.

9. tampabayirish says: May 13, 2014 10:26 AM

How are more drunk fans going enhance the in stadium experience? Bad idea. It will raise revenue for the school however…and that’s the bottom line.

10. rolltide510 says: May 13, 2014 12:46 PM

It’s going to be tough for LSU fans once they get to play every home game at night and stay black-out drunk the entire time and their team still finds a way to lose 2-3 games a year.

11. wareagle1961 says: May 13, 2014 1:23 PM

On a side note, Alleva mentioned that the number of corn dog vendors would be doubled to meet demand.

12. normtide says: May 13, 2014 1:40 PM

No offense to my LSU friends, but they might as well have been selling it all along. That’s never really been a “dry” stadium. I’m not being judgmental, I’ve been known to sneak a flask into HS football games on a few occasions.

13. oldforester says: May 13, 2014 1:45 PM

My wife and I are 50+ and attended an interconference game against LSU. Having gone to professional and college football games for over 30 years our experience with LSU fans was one of the worst experiences we have ever encountered. Drunken LSU fans, one woman in particular, followed my wife and I around the stadium chanting “Tiger Bait” (we were wearing our teams shirts). She was followed by about 10 others, mostly drunk men preventing us from looking around their stadium. The LSU drunken woman finally started using her finger to poke my wife, to make her Tiger bait statement and I pulled my wife away from the group because it was nearly elevated to where the LSU fans, frenzied and drunk were beyond control. Other onlookers, all LSU fans, were cheering her on. One of the most despicable, classless, examples of fans I have ever seen. To give these fans, who travel with their mobile bars, access to alcohol in their stadium is inviting a tragedy. Worst fans in football! The last thing they need is more alcohol!!

14. cometkazie says: May 13, 2014 1:54 PM

NormTide: I took a pint in my first LSU game in 1958.

We were playing Duke and I was sitting about half-way up the NE corner and the stands were maybe 75% full.

We had a marshall near my regular seats in 1971-1993 and he never did anything about people drinking right in front of him.

The bathroom was too far away so I didn’t drink game days. We were the second row down from the top in the South EndZone and it was a ways.

15. rolltide510 says: May 13, 2014 2:10 PM

Oldforester,

LSU fans will probably chime in to say such things are isolated incidents. They’re not. LSU’s student newspaper even conducted an experiment where they dressed up some girls in another team’s colors on game day and videotaped how bad they were harassed by drunk morons.

But, as the LSU fan above admitted, they don’t have any traditions there beyond being drunk.

16. jasonwalker84 says: May 14, 2014 11:00 AM

rolltide510,

Here are some notable, documented Alabama football traditions from the past few years:

1. Environmental Terrorism – Harvey Updyke
    2. Sexual Assault – Brian Downing
    3. Battery while Intoxicated – Michelle Pritchett
    4. Murder – Adrian Briskey

Roll Tide.

17. southernpatriots says: May 14, 2014 2:56 PM

Now, if some equity can be obtained in scheduling cross-divisional teams.

LSU will make much more money when the SEC approves this but so will Tennessee and all other schools. Bama apparently did not need alcohol to kill trees at Auburn, kill fellow fans, or threaten to kill the kicker and his family and litany of other violent actions.

18. 8to80texansblog says: May 15, 2014 12:46 PM

I’ve heard so many horror stories of travelling fans at LSU games…

Come to an A&M game and see the exact opposite. Went to a game last year at Kyle Field with some friends from Vandy who were full out rocking their Vandy gear.

Everywhere we went, Aggies were inviting us into their tailgates, saying hello, and asking the Vandy guys what to expect from Jordan Matthews and the frosh QB. Totally different atmosphere. Everyone was still drunk… they were just happy drunks instead of mean drunks…