Jameis Winston may be called as witness at teammates’ disciplinary hearing

20 Comments

The fallout from rape allegations against Jameis Winston (pictured, right) that became public late last year — and the circus his life has become since — continues unabated, with a university disciplinary hearing serving as the latest potential ring for the three-ring, Heisman-winning quarterback.

An attorney for the woman who alleged Winston raped her in December of 2012, John Clune, confirmed to FOXSports.com Monday that Winston is expected to be in attendance at an FSU code of conduct hearing involving a pair of teammates, defensive end Chris Casher and defensive back Ronald Darby (pictured, center), Tuesday morning. Not only will Winston likely be in attendance, but he is expected to be called to testify.

“We’ve been told by the university that he’s going to be called as a witness,” Clune told the website. “We expect him to be called.”

Both Casher and Darby, Winston’s roommates, had previously given sworn affidavits that they had witnessed Winston having sex with the accuser, but swore under oath that they believed the encounter to be consensual. Casher also admitted that he had used a cell phone to tape a portion of the sexual encounter but later deleted it.

Both Casher and Darby — the former expected to be part of the Seminoles’ defensive line rotation in 2014, the latter a starter in FSU’s secondary — could be expelled from FSU for violating the school’s code of conduct, pending the outcome of the hearing.  The pair is officially charged with conduct of sexual nature that creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment for another person as well as acts that invade the privacy of another person.  In addition, Casher faces a charge for the videotaping.

In early December of last year, following a three-week investigation, the Florida State’s Attorney office announced that there wasn’t enough evidence to prove that the sexual encounter between Winston and the alleged victim was not consensual, and that no charges would be filed against the player. The state’s attorney in charge of that investigation, William Meggs, was highly critical of the Tallahassee Police Department’s investigation into the alleged rape in a New York Times report, a report in which the university subsequently expressed its disappointment.

Earlier this month it was reported that the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights had launched its own investigation into FSU’s handling of the case.  Another attorney for Winston’s accuser blasted the university in April for a Title IX investigation — a requirement under federal law when sexual assault is alleged — that was halted because Winston refused to cooperate.

While Winston did not face criminal charges in connection to the incident, the alleged victim is expected to pursue civil action against him as well as, potentially, FSU and the TPD.

Additionally, as FOXSports.com wrote, “Tuesday’s hearing also could have implications for Winston in relation to the federal probe.

If federal investigators conclude that Florida State administrators did not conduct a proper probe, they will work with school officials to make sure one is conducted. Though Winston would not face criminal charges because Florida prosecutors have already said there was not enough evidence to charge him, it’s possible he could still face discipline from the university, including expulsion.

Winston is coming off a suspension from the FSU baseball team after he received a misdemeanor citation for shoplifting nearly $33 in seafood from a grocery store.  The redshirt sophomore acknowledged in a subsequent apology that he was “in the public spotlight and my conduct needs to be above reproach,” while head coach Jimbo Fisher stated that Winston has to be responsible for his own actions.

Michigan State RB LJ Scott reportedly arrested (for a seventh time!) over driving without valid license

Getty Images
Leave a comment

It seems the tumultuous offseason that Mark Dantonio has experienced dating back to last year is not ending with the 2017 campaign being well underway for his Spartans. That’s because the Michigan State head coach is dealing with yet another headache, this time caused by star running back LJ ScottThe Lansing State Journal reports that Scott was arrested on Wednesday for driving on a suspended license.

Now you might say, oh that’s not that big of a deal all things considered. Generally you’d be correct depending on the circumstances. Yet in this case it kind of is a big deal because this is the seventh time — yes, seven times — Scott has been arrested for the same general offense. So yeah.

Per the LSJ:

‘Scott, 21, was arrested and later released on a personal recognizance bond, East Lansing Police spokesman Lt. Chad Connelly said Thursday. He declined to comment further because Scott has not yet been arraigned.

The charge carries up to a year in jail if Scott is convicted because he has at least one prior conviction on the same charge, which is typically a 93-day misdemeanor.’

What might be worse is that the junior has been cited for the same issue across two different states, including Michigan and his native Ohio. The first instance happened back in February 2016 according to the paper, but charges were dropped after a citation was issued and a fine paid. Scott got caught later in March 2016 when he was speeding, another time in April 2016 after being involved in a car crash, and yet again in July 2016 by campus police.

But wait, there’s more.

Scott was pulled over and charged again this past March and another time as recently as July. The LSJ does not have information as to why his license was suspended in the first place but we can offer a few guesses.

What might be even more infuriating for Dantonio and the coaching staff is that Scott just posted a career high against Minnesota (194 yards) and seemed to finally emerge as the primary ball carrier over senior Gerald Holmes and fellow junior Madre London.

The school had not released a statement regarding the matter but it’s probably safe to assume that the Spartans will be without Scott on Saturday when they play Indiana.

BYU, East Carolina add two games to football series in 2022 and 2024

Getty Images
Leave a comment

If you wanted to see BYU and East Carolina play some more football, congrats because this is your lucky day.

Prior to the Cougars’ trip to Greenville this week, the two schools announced on Thursday that they will be adding another two game set to their ongoing series. As these schedule announcements usually do, the dates are well into the future — with a game in Provo for Oct. 15, 2022 between the two teams and a return date for Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium back east on Oct. 19, 2024.

“We have enjoyed the opportunity to play teams from the American Athletic Conference, including the current series with East Carolina,” BYU athletics director Tom Holmoe said in a release. “ECU is a great matchup and it was an easy decision to schedule another series with them. It provides our team with a unique travel opportunity, and it gives Cougar fans who live in the southeast another opportunity to see us play.”

The two sides are wrapping up the first two game series on Saturday as BYU travels to East Carolina in a game where the teams combined record is a whopping 2-12. The Cougars won 45-38 last year in Utah during the first meeting.

The upcoming series gives ECU three non-conference opponents for both 2022 and 2024 as a result, and becomes the first team scheduled by BYU for the 2024 slate.

Ex-Alabama WR’s suit against Lane Kiffin, FAU dismissed

Getty Images
Leave a comment

So much for that.

In March, Antonio “A.C.” Carter, a former Alabama wide receiver, filed a lawsuit against new Florida Atlantic head coach and former UA offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, FAU and the state of Florida.  The suit claimed that Kiffin deliberately misled him regarding a job on the FAU football staff in order to benefit from his family relationship with a prospective recruit.

Thursday, the Associated Press has reported, Shelby County (Ala.) Circuit Judge Lara Alvis dismissed Carter’s case.  As the lawsuit was dismissed with prejudice, it cannot be refiled.

Carter claimed that he was told by Kiffin earlier this year that his hiring as assistant strength & conditioning coach for the Owls was a “done” deal.  He and his wife quit their jobs based on Kiffin’s assurances and moved to the campus, where Carter subsequently helped Kiffin and the Owls in recruiting.

However, after National Signing Day, Carter was told he would not be hired as he had not passed a background check.  Carter had two unspecified prior minor misdemeanor charges on his record, one of which he claimed the prosecutor refused to pursue more than seven years ago.  This turn of events came after an unnamed former four-star recruit with whom Carter had a personal relationship had already signed his National Letter of Intent with FAU.

In his first season at FAU, Kiffin has the Owls, which went 3-9 each of the past three seasons, at 3-3 and tied with Marshall at 2-0 in the East Division of Conference USA.

Report: Oregon State paying search firm up to $200k to find new head football coach

Getty Images
1 Comment

We’re all in the wrong business.

Earlier this month, Gary Andersen abruptly stepped down as Oregon State’s head football coach.  While cornerbacks coach Cory Hall was named interim head coach, the football program is on the hunt for a permanent replacement.

To aid in that search, OSU has hired the search firm of DH International, Inc.  And, according to information obtained by The Oregonian, that Chicago-based company could potentially get paid for its efforts.

DHR International, Inc. will conduct the search for a fee that “shall not exceed $200,000,” although Oregon State redacted the value of each fee installment in its response to a public records request.

The newspaper also wrote that “[athletic director Rick] Barnes… previously worked with DHR International when finding a new athletic director when he left Pitt for OSU.” It was DH International that also recommended Barnes for the Pitt job.