Darian Claiborne

Aggies give the boot to Claiborne, Golden

A handful of months after being indefinitely suspended from the football program, a pair of Texas A&M Aggies have found their time in College Station come to an end.

The school has announced that linebacker Darian Claiborne (pictured) and defensive lineman Isaiah Golden have been dismissed from the football program. Head coach Kevin Sumlin said in a statement that both players “failed to meet the high expectations and standards that we have for our football players.”

Claiborne and Golden were each arrested on misdemeanor charges this offseason, the former for disorderly conduct and the latter for pot possession. Claiborne was also arrested back in late December for possession of a dangerous drug and possession of less than two ounces of marijuana. Following that arrest, Claiborne was suspended and did not play in the Aggies’ Chick-fil-A Bowl win over Duke.

In 2013 as true freshmen, Claiborne started nine games while Golden started six. The former was named to the Freshman All-SEC team for his efforts.

Claiborne was a three-star member of the A&M’s 2013 recruiting class, rated as the No. 19 inside linebacker in the country.  Golden was a four-star member of the same class, rated as the No. 8 defensive tackle in the country and the No. 15 player at any position in the state of Texas.

The twin losses are significant ones as both players were projected as starters in 2014 prior to their off-field issues.

Federal fugitive arrested at home of Buffs players following hours-long standoff

BERKELEY, CA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Colorado Buffaloes head coach Mike MacIntyre argues with lines judge Michael Feldman during their game against the California Golden Bears at California Memorial Stadium on September 27, 2014 in Berkeley, California.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

Every year I type a headline that I never thought I’d have to type. Welcome to at least the third one of those in 2015.

Tuesday, 24-year-old Donte Faison, the subject of a manhunt led by the U.S. Marshals Service, was arrested following a six-hour standoff that involved the Boulder Police Department SWAT team. Faison was wanted in connection to a shooting in Baltimore — he’s facing first-degree attempted murder charges once he’s extradited — although the fact that the standoff took place at the residence of a current, unnamed member of the Colorado Buffaloes football team brings this under the CFT purview.

According to a statement from the university, Faison is “a childhood acquaintance” of the unnamed Buffs player, and neither the unnamed player nor any of the other CU players who interacted with him since his arrival in the state Monday were aware of his status as a wanted fugitive.

Mr. Faison is a childhood acquaintance of a CU football player and recently asked to reconnect and stay in his home with other players. Every indication we have is that the players had no knowledge that law enforcement agencies had an active warrant for Mr. Faison’s arrest. Our players are cooperating with Boulder police during this investigation.

Faison is originally from Washington D.C.; three current Buffs, defensive backs Ken Crawley and John Walker and defensive lineman De’Jon Wilson, claim the nation’s capital as their hometown on the football program’s official online roster.

Exactly two weeks ago, athletic director Rick George very publicly stated that Mike MacIntyre, 10-26 overall and 2-24 in Pac-12 play, “is going to be our coach next year.

Bowl-eligible Cal might need another win to actually become bowl-eligible

TUCSON, AZ - SEPTEMBER 20:  Head coach Sonny Dykes of the California Golden Bears reacts on the sidelines during the second half of the college football game against the Arizona Wildcats at Arizona Stadium on September 20, 2014 in Tucson, Arizona. The Wildcats defeated the Golden Bears 49-45.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Following a Week 10 win over Oregon State, Cal won its sixth game of the season and became bowl-eligible… or did they?

Cal opened the 2015 season against FCS Grambling State, a win that is supposed to count toward the six needed for bowl eligibility. According to USA Today, however, a scholarship issue on Grambling’s side could lead to the win not counting for Cal’s bowl eligibility.

More to the point, Cal has already requested a waiver from the NCAA that would allow for the win to count toward bowl eligibility regardless of the scholarship accounting that’s currently ongoing. From Steve Berkowitz‘s USA Today report:

Grambling is a Football Championship Subdivision School, and Cal athletics spokesman Wes Mallette told USA TODAY Sports that the request was made because Grambling officials are trying to determine whether the school has awarded a sufficient amount of financial aid to football players for the game to count without a waiver.

Under NCAA rules, FBS schools generally can count one win against an FCS team per season toward the six needed for bowl eligibility. However, for the game to count without a waiver, the FCS school needs to have awarded — on average — at least 90% of the 63 scholarships allowed under FCS rules during a rolling two-year period.

According to Grambling’s 2013-14 financial report to the NCAA — the most recent one available — the school awarded the equivalent of 52.55 football scholarships in 2013-14. However, that document covers only financial aid awarded by athletics department sources — not all forms of aid that can count toward the scholarship limit. In response to an inquiry from USA TODAY Sports, Grambling’s interim assistant athletic director Patricia Simmons said the school’s athletics department and financial aid office had determined the school awarded the equivalent of 56.44 football scholarships, including all countable aid, in 2014-15. That’s fractionally short of meeting the NCAA’s 90% requirement.

Should the NCAA decide that Grambling falls under the scholarship threshold and Cal’s waiver is denied, it’d mean that the 6-5 Bears would need to beat 6-5 Arizona State Saturday night in Berkeley to become bowl-eligible for the second time this season. Bowl eligibility has served as a flashpoint issue of late, with Cal’s potential postseason plight shining a harsher and much-needed light on the oversaturation of the bowl market.

This year there will be a record 40 bowl games — including the two College Football Playoff semifinals, not including the stand-alone CFP title game — that will need filled with 80 teams. Entering Week 13, and including Cal, there are 71 teams that are currently bowl-eligible. There are 14 five-win teams that could get to that six-win mark this weekend: Buffalo, East Carolina, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Old Dominion, San Jose State, South Alabama, Tulsa, Virginia Tech and Washington. There are also four 4-6 teams that could get to six wins with victories the last two weeks of the season: Georgia State, Kansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette and Texas.

It should be noted that South Alabama is currently 5-5 and needs a win either this weekend or the next to become bowl-eligible.

It should also be noted that there are way too damn many bowl games, and the issue of whether a 5-7 team — or teams — will get rewarded for a sub-.500 season will continue annually until the postseason market corrects itself. I’m all for more quality football, just not more football for the sake of more football. I fear, though, I’m in the minority.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx