Tray Matthews

Tray Matthews tweets he’s leaving UGA; Auburn, Louisville potential transfer destinations

10 Comments

It appears the decision of what if anything to do with Tray Matthews has been taken out of Mark Richt‘s hands.

In a tweet posted to his Twitter account, the starting safety revealed that he will be taking his leave of the Bulldogs football program.  Not only that, but the defensive abck revealed a pair of likely transfer destinations — including one in the SEC.

Here’s the very heartfelt and emotional tweet from Matthews’ Twitter account:

Earlier this offseason, Matthews was one of four Bulldogs arrested on multiple counts of theft by deception.  Each player had been accused of essentially double-dipping: taking their UGA stipend checks, cashing them via a mobile app, then cashing the actual check elsewhere.

All four players — wide receiver Uriah LeMay, defensive lineman John Taylor (no relation) and defensive end James DeLoach being the other three — were or will be potentially facing suspensions to start the season.

Matthews’ departure will serve as a blow to UGA’s defense.  Despite being limited by a hamstring issue for the early part of the season, Matthews started six games at safety as a true freshman in 2013.

If Matthews were to transfer to Louisville, he’d be the second UGA defensive back to transfer to the Cardinals this offseason.  Earlier this year, Josh Harvey-Clemons‘ grandfather revealed that his grandson would be transferring to the UofL.

Todd Grantham, the Bulldogs’ defensive coordinator in 2013, moved on to the same post with the Cardinals following the 2013 season.

(Tip O’ the Cap: Gentry Estes)

UPDATED 6:14 p.m. ET: It appears that Tray Matthews’ departure was far from voluntary.

In a press release, Georgia announced that the defensive back has been dismissed from the football program.  No reason was given, although head coach Mark Richt’s 14-word, very terse statement pretty much said it all.

“We are trying to make room for guys who want to do things right,” the longtime coach said.

Car accident will sideline starting FAU lineman Reggie Bain for 2016

Generated by  IJG JPEG Library
Getty Images
Leave a comment

On off-field incident late last week will cost FAU one of the top offensive linemen in Conference USA moving forward.

Over the weekend, FAU confirmed that Reggie Bain sustained injuries that were described as “not life threatening” in a car accident Friday. However, the non-specified injuries will likely sideline the true junior offensive tackle for the entire 2016 season.

“I have been in constant contact and have visited with both Reggie and his family,” a statement from head coach Charlie Partridge began. “His FAU football family has surrounded him with support and will continue to do so. Out of respect for Reggie, his family and our team, all questions should only be directed to me. I know that inquiries may be well-intentioned, under the HIPPA law, and per the request of Reggie and his family, there is very little I can disclose.”

No details surrounding the accident have been released.

Bain has started all 24 games in his two-year career with the Owls, earning second-team all-conference honors following the 2015 season. Coaches made Bain a preseason all-league selection last month.

Bryce Love ‘unlikely’ to play in Stanford’s opener vs. K-State

PALO ALTO, CA - SEPTEMBER 12:  Bryce Love #20 of the Stanford Cardinal is tackled by Kyle Gibson #25 of the UCF Knights in the first quarter at Stanford Stadium on September 12, 2015 in Palo Alto, California.  (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It appears someone else will have to ease the load for a newly-minted starter under center and a Heisman Trophy contender, at least in the very early portion of the season.

According to Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News, Stanford head coach David Shaw has deemed it “unlikely” running back Bryce Love will play in the season opener Friday against Kansas State.  Love sustained what was described as a lower-body injury at some point during summer camp.

The good news for the program and the player is, after the opener, the Cardinal goes on a bye before hosting 20th-ranked USC Sept. 17.

Wilner writes that “Love… is considered central to eighth-ranked Stanford’s efforts to take the pressure off new quarterback Ryan Burns and tailback Christian McCaffrey.”  Burns has thrown one career pass and will be making his starting debut against K-State.

Last season, Love averaged 7.8 yards on his 29 carries.  He added 15 receptions for 250 yards, and three total touchdowns (two rushing, one receiving).

Rico McWilliams, 18-game starter at corner for Gamecocks, gives up football

BATON ROUGE, LA - OCTOBER 10:  Malachi Dupre #15 of the LSU Tigers catches a pass in front of Rico McWilliams #1 of the South Carolina Gamecocks during the third quarter of a game at Tiger Stadium on October 10, 2015 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

South Carolina has seen one of the most experienced members of its secondary not only leave the program but the sport as well.

Rico McWilliams has decided to leave the Gamecocks and give up football, first-year USC head coach Will Muschamp announced Monday.  No reason was given for the decision.

McWilliams had started 18 the past three seasons, but began to tumble down the depth chart in the spring and failed to gain much ground in summer camp.  He had left camp early on for what were described as personal reasons, but eventually returned.

I am back with the team and have to stay focused,” the cornerback said just three days ago.

As a redshirt junior last season, McWilliams started 10 of USC’s 12 games, the lone exceptions being the contests against Georgia and Texas A&M.  He was credited with 32 tackles, two pass breakups and a fumble recovery.

Additionally, Muschamp announced that redshirt freshman wide receiver Christian Owens had left his team as well.  A three-star 2015 signee, Owens didn’t play as a true freshman.

Jim Harbaugh clarifies comments on Colin Kaepernick anthem controversy

Harbaugh Kaepernick
Associated Press
7 Comments

Via social media, Jim Harbaugh has attempted to walk back some of his strong talk.

Monday, the Michigan head coach was asked to comment on one of his former San Francisco 49er players, Colin Kaepernick, who kicked up quite the controversy this past week by sitting down during the playing of the national anthem to protest what he believes to be the mistreatment of African-Americans in this country. Not surprisingly, the outspoken Harbaugh didn’t mince many words.

“I acknowledge his right to do that, but I don’t respect the motivation or the action,” the coach said.

A short time later, Harbaugh took to Twitter to offer a clarification that he had no issue with Kaepernick’s motivation, merely his methods.