Robbie Rhoads

Drug charges won’t be pursued against Baylor WR Robbie Rhodes

2 Comments

It appears one of the top returning wideouts at Baylor has caught a significant break, so to speak.

According to the Waco Tribune, the McLennan County District Attorney’s Office has decided it will not pursue misdemeanor marijuana possession charges against wide receiver Robbie Rhodes. The true sophomore was arrested early last month on charges of possession of marijuana and tampering with physical evidence.

Thanks to the BU athletic department’s drug-testing policy, the player’s attorney was able to convince the prosecutor that his client was innocent. From the Tribune:

Waco attorney Jonathan Sibley said Baylor has been drug-testing Rhodes for about seven months and he never tested positive for drug use.

Sibley said he showed those test results to the DA’s office, including a test administered two days before Rhodes was arrested, and convinced them he was not guilty. Rhodes also tested negative after his arrest, Sibley said.

“Robbie didn’t have anything to do with it,” Sibley said. “Baylor runs a clean program, and it helps that they have been testing Robbie because that helped us present evidence to the district attorney to convince them that he had no connection to this drug activity that they accused him of and arrested him for.”

“I think when [the DA’s office thinks] that somebody has done something wrong, they are aggressive in prosecuting that individual. In this case, they were willing to look at the evidence we provided to them and they made the right decision in not charging him with the drug activity.”

Rhodes was a four-star member of BU’s 2013 recruiting class, rated as the No. 8 wide receiver in the country and the No. 8 player in the talent-rich state of Texas at any position. As a true freshman last season, Rhodes caught 10 passes for 157 yards.

With the legal path now cleared, Rhodes is expected to be a significant contributor to Baylor’s high-octane offense in 2014.

(Photo credit: Baylor athletics)

Ex-Arkansas WR Kendrick Edwards moves on to Arkansas State

TUSCALOOSA, AL - OCTOBER 10:  Reggie Ragland #19 of the Alabama Crimson Tide breaks up this reception intended for Kendrick Edwards #6 of the Arkansas Razorbacks at Bryant-Denny Stadium on October 10, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kendrick Edwards may have left Arkansas, the Razorbacks, but he hasn’t left Arkansas, the state.

According to a tweet posted to his personal Twitter account, Edwards revealed that he has been “[e]xtremely blessed and thankful for this new opportunity at Arkansas State University.”  That Sun Belt football program, it should be noted, has yet to confirm Edwards’ addition to the roster.

This development is the latest twist in what’s thus far been an odd collegiate odyssey for Edwards.

In March of 2015, it was announced that Edwards had been removed from the Razorbacks football program and was given permission to speak to other schools about a transfer.  However, Edwards was reinstated to the program shortly thereafter; however, the sequel, Edwards was permanently dismissed in the midst of the 2015 season for unspecified reasons.

Coming out of high school in Miami, Edwards was rated by 247Sports.com as a three-star recruit in the Class of 2014.  In parts of two seasons with the Razorbacks, Edwards caught eight passes for 121 yards and a touchdown.

After sitting out the 2016 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules, Edwards will have two seasons of eligibility remaining beginning in 2017.

CB Josh Jenkins, injured last year in fight with teammate, ‘looking to transfer from Army’

Josh Jenkins ,Joseph Pavlik's
Associated Press
Leave a comment

The West Point career of Josh Jenkins has apparently taken yet another twist.

On his personal Twitter account earlier Tuesday — he pinned it for emphasis — Jenkins posted a tweet that included a YouTube highlight video with the text consisting of “looking to transfer from Army West Point.” Just why the defensive back has decided to leave the service academy is unclear.

Jenkins reportedly suffered a serious and significant head injury during an on-post fight with a teammate over the Fourth of July weekend last year. The teammate, linebacker Seth Combs, was dismissed from the team; Jenkins was unable to play at all in 2015 because of the injuries he sustained.

During spring practice, Jenkins was not allowed to participate in contact drills. Sal Interdonato of the Times Herald-Record wrote that Black Knights head coach “Jeff Monken said near the end of spring practice that he was ‘hopeful’ that Jenkins would be cleared to practice with full contact in the preseason.”

In 2014, Jenkins was tied for second on the team with 63 tackles, while his four interceptions and eight passes broken up were the most of any Black Knight. He also blocked two kicks, a total that was tops on the team as well.

Former Michigan WR, Notre Dame DB move on to JUCOs

MORTON GROVE, IL - JANUARY 23: A U-Haul truck sits in front of a U-Haul store January 23, 2003 in Morton Grove, Illinois. Reno, Nevada-based U-Haul Co. is discussing debt restructuring. (Photo by Tim Boyle/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two former members of Power Five football programs have decided to slide far down the college football ladder in restarting their respective careers.

According to 247Sports.com, Cole is on the campus of East Mississippi Community College and will play for the JUCO team in 2016.  The report comes nearly four months after it was reported that Cole had decided to transfer from Michigan to Kentucky.

The recruiting website writes that UK “is a school Cole continues to consider.”

Cole was a highly sought after four-star 2015 recruit who was an early enrollee in Jim Harbaugh‘s first UM class.  The No. 74 player nationally on 247Sports.com‘s composite board, Cole was also the No. 1-rated player at any position in the state of Michigan.  He played in two games at receiver with the Wolverines; he’ll move to safety with his new program.

Speaking of defensive backs, former Notre Dame safety Mykelti Williams has also decided to go the JUCO route.  It was confirmed in March of this year that Williams had decided to leave the Irish and transfer elsewhere.

As it turns out, that elsewhere is Iowa Western.

Williams was a three-star member of the Irish’s 2015 recruiting class, rated as the No. 29 safety in the country; the No. 4 player at any position in the state of Indiana; and the No. 464 player overall according to 247Sports.com. The 5-11, 200-pound defensive back chose Notre Dame over offers from, among others, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin.

He took a redshirt as a true freshman last season.

Transferring Utah DT Stevie Tu’ikolovatu visits Alabama, too

Stevie Tu'ikolovatu
Utah athletics
Leave a comment

Earlier this month, Stevie Tu’ikolovatu made the decision to transfer from Utah. Over the weekend, the defensive lineman paid a visit to Nebraska as he began the process of finding a new college football home.

Earlier this week, Tu’ikolovatu continued that process at the defending national champions.

According to the defensive tackle’s Twitter account, Tu’ikolovatu paid a visit to Alabama on Monday. While the Tide, as always, remains loaded along the line even after losing so much to the NFL draft, they could certainly use someone with the talent — and size — the 6-1, 320-pound Tu’ikolovatu possesses if the player and team find common ground.

Last season with the Utes, Tu’ikolovatu played in all 13 games, starting two of those contests. His four fumble recoveries were tied for the lead in the Pac-12 and second nationally.

All told, Tu’ikolovatu played in 25 games the past two seasons. As a graduate transfer, he’d be eligible to play immediately in 2016 whether he moves on to Alabama, Nebraska or any other FBS program.

The 2016 season will, though, be his final year of eligibility.