Skip to content

Ex-Hoosier QB tweets he’s headed to FCS school

Indiana v Ohio State

Well that certainly took little to no time at all.

Just this past Wednesday, Indiana sent out a press release announce that Tre Roberson had decided to leave the Hoosiers and transfer to another football program to continue his playing career.  That program, as it turns out, is at the FCS level as the quarterback sent out a tweet on his personal Twitter account Friday evening revealing his future playing intentions would involve stepping down a rung on the collegiate football ladder.

We should note that Roberson’s new school has yet to officially confirm his addition to the roster.  Nonetheless, the player has let the personnel cat out of the bag:

As Illinois State plays at a level below the FBS from which Roberson came, the player will be eligible to play immediately in 2014.  Roberson, who will be a true senior, would have one season of eligibility remaining, although he could appeal for a medical hardship waiver and get an additional year tacked on.

Regardless of whether it’s one year or two, the Redbirds will be getting a player who can make an immediate impact.

Roberson in 2011 became the first quarterback in IU history to start as a true freshman, going on to start a total of nine games in his three years with the Hoosiers. A broken leg early on cost him the vast majority of the 2012 season, although he came back in 2013 to share the job (four starts) with Nate Sudfeld. Sudfeld exited what was described as “an outstanding spring practice” with the slightest of edges in the quarterback competition, which may have played a role in Roberson’s decision.

For his career, Roberson threw for 2,433 yards, 20 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He added 10 touchdowns running the ball.

A three-star member of IU’s 2011 recruiting class, Roberson was rated as the No. 28 dual-threat quarterback in the country coming out of high school in Indianapolis.

Shortly before revealing his next destination, Roberson sent out a note of thanks to Hoosier Nation:

Permalink 4 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Big Ten Conference, Indiana Hoosiers, Rumor Mill, Top Posts
4 Responses to “Ex-Hoosier QB tweets he’s headed to FCS school”
  1. woebegong says: Jun 14, 2014 9:36 AM

    He didn’t have a really big chance at the NFL, playing QB at Indiana in the first place, but transferring his senior year to a FCS school, I would think all but dashes those hopes now.

  2. marooncat79 says: Jun 14, 2014 10:19 AM

    He should have been a DB. Very intense player

  3. dmcgrann says: Jun 14, 2014 5:53 PM

    I believe that if a player has only a single season of eligibility left, NCAA rules say that they have to sit out a year, even if they’re going from FBS to FCS. That was the case when Michael Rocco transferred from Virginia to Richmond last year. He can appeal to the NCAA for a waiver, but they usually say no.

  4. dmcgrann says: Jun 16, 2014 1:20 AM

    Apparently, he already has a waiver for the 2012 injury, so he has two years left and can play immediately. If he didn’t and was a true senior, he’d have to sit out.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!