Jayru Campbell

Touted but troubled 2015 QB recruit decommits from Mich. St., has eyes on ‘Canes, LSU


No longer a verbal pledge to Michigan State after, ahem, “decommitting” from the Spartans, Jayru Campbell is reportedly looking at another pair of well-heeled football programs as he looks to get his life back on track.

During a lengthy television feature on Campbell, Detroit Cass Tech head football coach Tom Wilcher told WXYZ-TV that his player is currently weighing offers from Miami (Fla.) and LSU. Additionally, Cincinnati is in play for Campbell as well.

Wherever Campbell lands, that program will be getting a kid who’s had a troubled — and violent — past.

Campbell was sentenced late last month to, among other things, 60 days in jail after pleading guilty to misdemeanor aggravated assault.  The quarterback had also originally been charged with felony assault with intent to do great bodily harm after he body slammed a school security guard who had the audacity to tell him to remove a hood; that charge was dropped as part of a plea agreement reached with prosecutors.

Unless he gets significant time off for good behavior, Campbell will miss the start of his senior football season as he’ll be behind bars.


The school security guard incident wasn’t the first instance of violence involving Campbell, however.

Last November, Campbell was again (somewhat) caught on video, this time punching a Detroit Catholic Central player in the handshake line following a Cass Tech playoff loss. The Detroit News reported Campbell was suspended for 3-5 days by the school immediately following that incident. He was also suspended for the 2014 season opener.

In the video below, you don’t see the actual punch that was acknowledged by the player’s own coach, but you do see the aftermath — including, ironically enough, Campbell being put to the ground by another man:


During Campbell’s interview, the player said he’s “learned from the situation” and that “everybody deserves a second chance.”

I’m not a thug,” Campbell told the TV station. “I would not consider myself as a criminal. I would consider myself as a natural-born leader and someone that likes to help others.

“I have apologized to him in the court room, in front of the cameras and, you know, once again I hope that he forgives me and one day finds it in his heart to forgive me. I just want to say I apologize again.”

With two known violence-related checkmarks against him, Campbell claims he’s seen the light.

“I just learned that violence is not the answer,” Campbell said. “There’s different ways that you can solve a problem. … Learn to forgive. It took some time but I would say I definitely got to the point where I’m thinking before I react.”

Colorado loses starting LB Kenneth Olugbode for 4-6 weeks

during the Rocky Mountain Showdown at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on September 19, 2015 in Denver, Colorado.
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Colorado had already lost one starting inside linebacker to injury.  Now, the Buffs have lost another.

Kenneth Olugbode sustained an unspecified leg injury in the Week 5 loss to Oregon. As a result, Olugbode will miss 4-6 weeks.

At minimum, Olugbode will miss games against Arizona State, Arizona, Oregon State and UCLA, possibly returning for the Nov. 7 game against Stanford. Missing six weeks would see him miss the Stanford and USC games, returning, Nov. 21 vs. Washington State.

It’s going to be a big loss,” defensive tackle Justin Solis said according to the Denver Post. “It starts up front with us, the D-line. Not having K.O. out there is a huge loss, but it’s definitely something we accept as a challenge as a D-line. We’re going to step it up while he’s out.”

Olugbode had started all five games this season after starting all 12 games as a sophomore last season. Ryan Severson is expected to take his place in the starting lineup.

Dismissed Wolverine Logan Tuley-Tillman charged with three felonies

Logan Tuley-Tillman
Michigan Athletics

Back on September 10, it was announced that Jim Harbaugh had dismissed Logan Tuley-Tillman for “conduct unacceptable for a Michigan student-athlete.”  Now we know what that unacceptable conduct was.  Allegedly.

Wednesday morning, mlive.com is reporting, Tuley-Tillman was charged with three felonies stemming from a Sept. 4 incident in which he’s accused of filming a sex act with a woman without her knowledge. Tuley-Tillman was officially charged with two counts of capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person and one count of using a computer to commit a crime.

From the report:

Capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person is punishable by up to two years in prison, a fine of no more than $2,000, or both. Using a computer to commit a crime, in this case, would be punishable by up to 10 years in prison, a fine of no more than $5,000, or both.

The incident occurred in the 300 block of Catherine Street Sept. 4. Tuley-Tillman is accused of filming a portion of a sexual encounter with a woman without her knowledge and then transmitting it to his personal device without her permission, according to Ann Arbor police.

Tuley-Tillman was a four-star member of Brady Hoke‘s second-to-last UM recruiting class, rated as the No. 24 offensive tackle in the country and the No. 7 player at any position in the state of Illinois.  He played in one game as a redshirt freshman last season, the season opener against Appalachian State.

This season, he had been listed as the No. 2 left tackle and played in the 2015 opener.