The odds are pretty good Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will have a rather successful 2014 college football season. With success this fall will likely come increased incentive to skip on the final two years of eligibility at Florida State and jump to the NFL, if the draft experts feel strongly enough about Winston’s pro potential this season. Is there a chance Winston will put any NFL plans on hold and return to Florida State in 2015 (not to mention 2016)? Absolutely, according to his father.
“We want Jameis to succeed with one more year in baseball and two more years in football,” Antonor Winston said in a story published by Al.com. “We’ve never strayed from our plan that he is going to be in college until he gets that degree.”
The elder Winston clarified his son intends to play three football seasons at Florida State, which would suggest he will return in 2015 and potentially leave for the NFL with one year of eligibility remaining. This also echoes previous statements by the 2013 Heisman Trophy winner.
There is no denying Winston left his mark in his freshman debut in Tallahassee. Winston led the Seminoles to an ACC championship, won the Heisman Trophy and then rallied the troops against Auburn to win the BCS national championship. Oh, he dealt with a good handful of off-field controversy and concerns as well along the way.
The bottom line is, when a prospect has the talent to be drafted highly in the NFL Draft, it is difficult for that player to say no. The past NFL Draft saw a record number of underclassmen declare for the draft, with many of those decisions perhaps misguided. If Winston performs this fall as he did a year ago, his stock and value will continue to rise. Johnny Manziel left Texas A&M after two years on the field, but he was a redshirt sophomore. Winston is a different case though, one year younger and also considered a talented baseball prospect as well. There could be even more on the table worth reviewing when it does come time for Winston to make a decision final, whatever that may be.
Helmet sticker to Tomahawk Nation.
California will hire former Fresno State head coach Tim DeRuyter to serve as its defensive coordinator, according to multiple reports out Monday.
DeRuyter, of course, was the Bulldogs’ head coach through mid-October, where he was let go after starting with a 1-7 record. Prior to that, he led Fresno State to the 2013 Mountain West championship and shares of the MW West Division crown in 2012 and ’14. (And then Derek Carr graduated.)
A longtime defensive coordinator, DeRuyter previously served in that same post at Ohio, Navy, Nevada, Air Force and Texas A&M.
Gorley writes DeRuyter will be asked to transition the Bears from a 4-3 to a 3-4 alignment, a task he’s successfully completed in the past. He would take over a defense that finished last season ranking 122nd in yards per play allowed and second-to-last in scoring.
The NCAA is going to shut down the ability to take a football team off campus during spring break starting in August, so Jim Harbaugh is making sure his program gets one more trip squeezed in. This one is going to require a passport.
This April, Harbaugh is taking the Wolverines to Rome for a “week of education and spring drills.” This is a direct response to criticisms Michigan faced when moving spring football practices to Bradenton, Florida last spring, nestled right in ACC and SEC recruiting grounds. The practices at the home of AS Roma, an Italian soccer club. What’s different about this one is the trip will come at the end of the semester instead of over spring break. Harbaugh just found a loophole.
“We were looking to provide our student-athletes with a great educational, cultural and international football experience,” Harbaugh said in a released statement. “I am excited that our student-athletes will be able to take advantage of this amazing educational opportunity, be exposed to another culture, and be ambassadors for the United States and the University of Michigan during our visit to Rome.”
Last week, the NCAA’s Division 1 Council voted to ban off-campus trips over scheduled off days from the academic calendar. But because this trip is not taking place over a spring break, the trip can, in theory, be used every year.
Just think, if Michigan had just gone to Rome last year instead of Florida, perhaps the feathers from the ACC and SEC would not have been so ruffled.
Harbaugh in Rome. This should be fun to follow.
San Diego State is already locked in to continue playing games in Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego through the 2020 season, which may be perfect timing. A move to build a brand new Major League Soccer stadium is projected to open its doors in 2020, and the plan is to have room for San Diego State to share the stadium as well.
As detailed by a report from The San Diego Union-Tribune, FS Investors is an investment group that owns the rights to apply for a MLS franchise in San Diego. While still working out the finer details of their bid, but the company is reportedly planning to purchase the land containing Qualcomm Stadium, demolish the existing stadium and use that land to develop a new venue that could seat between 20,000 and 30,000 fans. At the same time, other land would be set aside in order to reserve for a potential NFL stadium in the event the city makes a bid to lure the National Football League back to the city after the Chargers packed up and left for Los Angeles.
The firm also hopes it can attract developers to add housing and commercial options that will target San Diego State students, and perhaps add to the environment around a soccer and college football stadium for a more enjoyable game day experience for both.
An application for an MLS franchise is due January 31 and the firm hopes to receive approval from City Council without having to rely on a public vote.
In an ideal world, every FBS program would have its own place to call home, but the reality is a number of schools must work out lease agreements to play home game sin NFL stadiums. USF is reportedly set to continue renting space in Raymond James Stadium in Tampa for the next six years.
According to a report from Tampa Bay Times, USF will not have to pay a rental fee and will just have to handle costs of operation on game day. In addition, USF will have to pay a ticket surcharge of eight percent off the sales of tickets, with a cap of $2.50 for each ticket sold. USF also has an opt-out clause if it desires.
Under the terms of the agreement between USF and the Tampa Sports Authority, USF must play at least six games in Raymond James Stadium each season. USF will play seven home games this upcoming season, including conference games against Cincinnati, Houston, Temple and Tulsa. Other home games will be played against Illinois, UMass and Stony Brook.
USF continues to evaluate long-term plans that could lead to the construction of an on-campus football facility, but for the next six years, it will call Raymond James Stadium home.