Two years after losing a recruiting battle for one of the top prospects in the country, Oklahoma could potentially be a landing spot for a star receiver looking to rebounds from a troubling situation. Dorial Green-Beckham, dismissed by Missouri this spring, could be on the radar for the Sooners.
In what amounts to nothing more than a quick line in a report evaluating the hypothetical reasons for and against adding Green-Beckham to the roster, The Oklahoman suggests it may be enough of a realistic possibility that is now worth exploring. Per The Oklahoman;
“Sources with knowledge of Green-Beckham’s situation have indicated there’s at least marginal interest in bringing the troubled superstar to Oklahoma.”
The report then moves on to evaluating why the addition would make sense for the Big 12 favorites and why the thought does not make sense. If Green-Beckham straightens out his off-field issues that led him to being dismissed by Missouri, and he stays in shape in whatever time away from the field he needs to take, it absolutely makes some sense for Oklahoma or any other program in need of an athletic receiver to at least make a phone call to see how he may fit in.
After Green-Beckham was dismissed by Missouri, his future was very uncertain. There had been reports he would transfer to an FCS program to continue playing in the fall but that was later replaced by the idea of sitting out the football season and preparing for a run at the NFL.
What we do know is Oklahoma wanted Green-Beckham before and now he is available. Would Bob Stoops want to take a chance on a player with a checkered past now, and what would be the justification for doing so when other options could be on the table through recruiting a more long-term vision? Is Green-Beckham the missing piece for Oklahoma, enough so that adding him puts the Sooners over the top? If Stoops and his staff think that way, then it makes sense to explore the possibility.
Right now, Oklahoma lists 13 wide receivers on the school’s official football website, 10 of which are underclassmen. The need to add Green-Beckham for a limited period of time may not be great enough.
Already in the crosshairs for his 2-3 team’s late-game failures, Butch Jones now finds himself under increasing scrutiny for something that allegedly happened a couple of months ago.
The website Gridiron.com, which features such respected journalists Tony Barnhart and Mike Huguenin among others, reported earlier today that the Tennessee head coach was involved in what was described as a “physical altercation” with senior offensive lineman Mack Crowder during summer camp this past August. The source close to the program added that practice film that day captured the alleged incident, although it’s unclear if that tapes still exists.
From the site’s report:
The incident occurred during fall camp, about the time that news started to come out about a few offensive linemen who were considering stepping away from the program. Crowder walked off the practice field one day and missed a day or two of practice, and Brett Kendrick and Dylan Wiesman were said to be contemplating their futures. Sources say the players’ actions stemmed from an incident between Jones and Crowder.
The website also made a Freedom of Information request seeking any correspondence between the university and the Crowder family be turned over, but writes that UT “administrators said any sort of letter or correspondence that may or may not have happened was covered under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.”
Monday, Jones labeled what began as message-board speculation that he had struck one of his Vols players as “absolutely ridiculous.” The Knoxville News Sentinel contacted Crowder’s father, with the paper writing that “he had no comment and did not want to give validation to message boards.”
At least publicly, the university has yet to address the allegations. Jones will get yet another chance to address the speculation with the media in the very near future.
One of the most productive pass-catching duos in the country has been cut in half.
Tulsa head coach Philip Montgomery confirmed Tuesday that Keevan Lucas sustained a torn patellar tendon in the third quarter of Saturday’s loss to Houston. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the remainder of the 2015 season.
“He’s such an emotional leader for us and such a great kid,” the first-year coach said. “We’ll have to make a few adjustments offensively and move some people around and try to make sure we’ve got guys in the right spot but also guys who will step up and be ready to play.”
Lucas is currently second on the team with 26 receptions and 409 receiving yards, behind Keyarris Garrett‘s 33 and 539. His five receiving touchdowns, though, are tops on the team.
Montgomery expects Lucas to be healthy enough to participate in spring practice next year.