Tired of all the talk about trials and unions and arrests as we await the start of a new season? If so, here’s something that could brighten your day. And give you goosebumps. And make the room kind of dusty. Eighteen-year-old Stephen Loszewski has been battling acute lymphoblastic leukemia for nearly four years, but thankfully he’s in remission. Still, the Make-A-Wish Foundation was able to make the life-long Michigan football fan’s dream of becoming a UM recruit come true. And both the school and the foundation did it in style.
A few weeks back, Jake Long knocked on Loszewski’s door. The current St. Louis Rams offensive tackle and former Michigan Wolverine arrived armed with letters from U-M coaches to begin the recruiting process. The two sat in the family living room talking about football and life and everything in between.
Tuesday, Loszewski had meetings with head coach Brady Hoke and athletic director Dave Brandon and lunch with a couple of current players. He spent 10 minutes with UM legend Desmond Howard, who flew in just for the festivities and afterwards wrote on his Twitter account “[t]hank you @umichfootball + @espn for giving me the opportunity to be a part of Stephen Loszewski’s #MyWish.” Later on, UM officials gave the former high school football player — he was forced to step away from the game after his diagnosis — an official signing day atmosphere, replete with a table and four hats — UM, Ohio State, Michigan State and Notre Dame. The cap ceremony ended in expected fashion. “I want to say, this decision could not have been less difficult,” Loszewski. “I’m going to go with the Big Blue.” The pièce de résistance, however, occurred between the ceremony and meetings.
Around 4 p.m., an echo reverberated out to the field of Michigan Stadium. Hooting and hollering rang from the tunnel. Up in the shadows, where the Wolverines’ locker room leads to the field, Stephen Loszewski jumped and bounced and bonded with the entire University of Michigan football team. Wearing a blue jersey — No. 57, LOSZEWSKI — U-M’s top recruit led the team onto field. … Stephen Loszewski addressed his new teammates at the 50-yard line. “I want to do battle with you gentlemen,” he said.
Said Loszewski’s father Greg,”It’s amazing what people have done for my little old son.” Yes, yes it is. Bravo, UM, for making this young man’s dream come true. Truly a classy and selfless gesture. (Photo credit: Ann Arbor News)
Fortunately for one member of Notre Dame’s football team, the news on his health isn’t as dire as it once seemed.
Over the weekend, one of Parker Boudreaux‘s Irish teammates tweeted that the offensive lineman needed prayers as he had been hospitalized with a serious brain infection. While the hospitalization part was accurate, it appears the diagnosis was, thankfully, far off-base.
Shortly after those social media missives started making the rounds, a school spokesperson confirmed to the South Bend Tribune that Boudreaux is indeed hospitalized but “is in stable condition and resting comfortably.”
Boudreaux himself took to social media Sunday to somewhat address the developments…
… while also taking to social media late Monday night to offer up a bit more of an encouraging update.
What is specifically ailing Boudreaux has not been confirmed, although the lineman retweeted a tweet which stated that “Boudreaux had been admitted to a South Bend hospital with what is thought to be meningitis.” Fortunately, it appears the meningitis is of the viral variety rather than bacterial, which is ofttimes fatal.
It’s expected that Boudreaux will remain hospitalized through at least the mid-part of this week before being released. What this may or may not do for his availability for at least the start of summer camp in early August is unknown.
A three-star member of the Irish’s 2016 recruiting class, Boudreaux was rated as the No. 18 guard in the country.
The injury-plagued career of a member of South Carolina’s secondary has officially come to an end.
USC officials confirmed to The State that Ali Groves will not return to the Gamecocks football team. The defensive back has taken a medical hardship waiver, making him ineligible to suit up again for the Gamecocks.
The Georgia native will, though, remain on scholarship. He’s expected to graduate later this year with a degree in business administration.
A three-star member of USC’s 2013 recruiting class, Groves was rated as the No. 47 safety in the country. Groves sustained a right shoulder injury his true freshman season, with the injury lingering over the next couple of seasons as well.
This past spring, Groves, who didn’t play a down for the Gamecocks, was moved from cornerback to safety. Twice in his career, Groves was named to the SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll.
Baylor’s recruiting loss will turn into another football program’s gain. Again.
On his Twitter account Monday, 2017 quarterback prospect Kellen Mond announced that he has decided to verbally commit to play his college football at Texas A&M. Mond had been considered the crown jewel of Baylor’s 2017 recruiting class after committing to the Bears in the summer of 2015, but opted to decommit less than a week after Art Briles was dismissed as BU’s head football coach.
Shortly after decommitting from Baylor, Mond announced a new Top 3: Auburn, Ohio State and A&M. Those schools were listed in his order of preference at that moment, although the Aggies were, obviously, able to make up ground on the other two.
Mond visited College Station earlier this month, and, coupled with the Buckeyes landing a verbal from five-star quarterback Tate Martell — a former A&M commit, incidentally — had seemingly pared his choices down to the Tigers and Aggies. According to his tweeted announcement, A&M’s “tradition of excellence,” along with the coaching staff, led him to his latest commitment.
Mond, a Texas native who is playing his senior season at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., is rated as a four-star prospect on 247Sports.com‘s composite board. That recruiting website rates him as the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback in the country and the No. 103 player overall.
Ohio State announced earlier this month that it would be offering cold beers to all of-age fans during football games this fall in The ‘Shoe. A couple of weeks later, a fellow FBS member to the east has followed suit.
As part of its press release on new fan initiatives for the 2016 season, Pittsburgh announced that beer will be sold stadium-wide throughout Heinz Field this upcoming football season. Prior to this season, alcohol sales were only permitted to those ticket holders in the club and suite sections of the stadium.
The first opportunity for fans to take advantage of the new policy is the home opener against Villanova Sept. 3. The ACC opener Oct. 8 against Georgia Tech.
From the press release:
The expansion of this amenity will coincide with the implementation of appropriate safety measures for Pitt game days, ensuring the continuation of a fan and family friendly environment for all. (Such measures are already in place for Steelers home games. Aramark, Heinz Field’s official food and beverage concessionaire, provides comprehensive staff training in the sale of alcohol.) A portion of the funds from beer sales proceeds will be dedicated to drug and alcohol education programs for the overall student body through Pitt’s Division of Student Affairs.
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, there are now nine Power Five members with a similar beer policy for football games. One of the nine is West Virginia, with the Post-Gazette writing that athletic director Scott Barnes cited data from WVU “suggesting that beer sales in the stadium could actually cut down on alcohol-related incidents.”