Skip to content

That whole 2014 UNLV bowl ban? Never mind

Bobby Hauck AP

Earlier this offseason the NCAA announced that the UNLV football program would be subject to a postseason ban because of academics.

A couple of months later, forget about that development. Pretend it never happened.

Following up on speculation that surfaced a short time ago, UNLV confirmed in a press release that the Rebels will indeed be eligible for a bowl game following the 2014 regular season. The initial ban came after UNLV’s official Academic Progress Report (APR) score over a four-year period came in at 925 — below the NCAA’s 930 threshold — and after the school’s appeal was denied.

According to the release, however, “adjustments to the scores from the four-year period (2009-10 through 2012-13) resulted in additional points” that brought the football program’s APR up to exactly 930. Those adjustments may have been miscalculations on the part of the NCAA, the Las Vegas Sun initially reported.

Regardless, UNLV will once again be eligible for the 2014 postseason — which could include playing for a conference title.

“Obviously we are excited to be eligible to play in the Mountain West Championship game and a bowl this season,” UNLV head coach Bobby Hauck said in a statement. “Nearly every man in our program stayed together through this — remained a team. That mental toughness and commitment to this school and each other says a lot about the people we have here and I think is going to serve us well on the field. Academics have always been, and will continue to be, a priority for us.”

The “miscalculations” that led to eventual “adjustments” didn’t come without unintended “consequences” for Hauck and his program.

Because of the bowl ban, players were free to transfer without sitting out a season; two took advantage of that stipulation. It’s unclear if either — offensive lineman Cameron Jefferson, running back Adonis Smith — would be permitted to return after signing financial aid agreements with Arkansas and Arizona, respectively, or if either would even want to return to Sin City.

Additionally, UNLVĀ scheduled a 13th regular-season game against Hawaii on the islands to make up for the lack of a postseason appearance. Now, the Rebels will be forced to go 7-6 instead of 6-6 in order to become bowl eligible.

Permalink 3 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Mountain West Conference, Rumor Mill, Top Posts, UNLV Rebels
3 Responses to “That whole 2014 UNLV bowl ban? Never mind”
  1. Scott Hevel says: Jun 26, 2014 7:26 PM

    At least the NCAA will do their part to make sure UNLV loses a few hundred thousand taking their kids to a bowl game.

  2. Professor Fate says: Jun 26, 2014 10:14 PM

    It’s common knowledge that many college freshman need remedial math (and reading) courses upon enrollment. No surprise the NCAA itself reflects that trend. I can’t think of a more incompetent organization outside of government.

  3. dmvtransplant says: Jun 27, 2014 8:04 AM

    Did they cook the books or not? Haven’t teams gone 6-7 and still been to bowl season?

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!