Skip to content

2015 QB recruit who gave USC a verbal when he was 13 decommits

David Sills

It appears the speculation has, finally come to fruition.

In February of 2010 and as a 13-year-old seventh grader, David Sills verbally committed to — eventually — play his college football at USC.  Fast-forward to September of last year and the firing of the head coach to whom Sills committed, Lane Kiffin.  The rumors first sprouted at around that time, and only intensified when Ricky Town, the No. 2 pro-style quarterback in next year’s class, committed to the Trojans in late January.

Now, nearly five months to the day after Town’s pledge, Sills has apparently pulled his as the tweet from Scout.com‘s Brian Dohn attests:

To further buttress the report, Sills’ retweeted Dohn’s tweet on his personal Twitter account, although he’s yet to officially announce he’s pulled his verbal.

This also could be a case of a football program, with a new coaching staff in place, quietly pulling the scholarship offer made by the previous regime as has been speculated just a couple of weeks ago.

Regardless, and while Dohn states Sills currently has no leader, Bruce Feldman of FOXSports.com tweeted that West Virginia may now be a possibility.  With Kiffin now the offensive coordinator at Alabama — the school from which Town decommitted to commit to USC, incidentally — the Crimson Tide would also seem to be an option.  In fact, in mid April, Sills took a visit to Tuscaloosa.

The Tide already has one commitment from a touted 2015 recruit at the position: Blake Barnett, a four-star prospect rated by Rivals.com as the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback in the country.

That same recruiting site also gave Sills four stars and rates him as the No. 14 pro-style quarterback in the country.  The 6-3, 200-pound Maryland high schooler has scholarship offers from, among others and in addition to one from WVU, Boston College, Clemson, Maryland, Michigan and Virginia Tech.

(Photo credit: Elkton (Md.) Eastern Christian Academy)

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Alabama Crimson Tide, Atlantic Coast Conference, Big 12 Conference, Big Ten Conference, Boston College Eagles, Clemson Tigers, Maryland Terrapins, Michigan Wolverines, Pac-12 Conference, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts, USC Trojans, Virginia Tech Hokies, West Virginia Mountaineers
16 Responses to “2015 QB recruit who gave USC a verbal when he was 13 decommits”
  1. canetic says: Jun 28, 2014 3:20 PM

    Cane lock.

  2. dcroz says: Jun 28, 2014 3:38 PM

    If you don’t trust verbals from high school juniors (or even seniors, for that matter) then why would anyone take one from a 13-year-old seriously? Or for that matter, why would a 13-year-old take a scholarship offer seriously, aside of course from the fact that he probably wouldn’t know any better? Recruiting has become even more of a silly season than a political election year like this one.

  3. BrownsTown says: Jun 28, 2014 4:01 PM

    Recruits lose interest in programs once Kiffin and his “hostesses” leave town.

  4. burm61 says: Jun 28, 2014 4:28 PM

    The kid didn’t need hostesses… 13 and committed to USC?? Imagine what he was pulling in high school… And it wasn’t himself that’s for sure.

  5. kando53 says: Jun 28, 2014 4:55 PM

    That ‘commits’ are allowed, or even considered, by anyone less than high school seniors is laughable, and shows what a mess collegiate sports has become.

  6. 35longmiles says: Jun 28, 2014 6:57 PM

    canetic says:
    Jun 28, 2014 3:20 PM
    Cane lock.

    Brilliant. My first thought exactly, and subsequently, the first intelligent thing this cane homer has ever said. Too bad he used sarcasm that went right over the heads of all the dummies here. Regardless, nice work irrelevant one.

    I thought Town was supposed to be a cane and save the world.at least that’s what you’re brain dead brethren at Canespace believed.

  7. Professor Fate says: Jun 28, 2014 7:05 PM

    A ridiculous publicity stunt from the start. Sarkisian doesn’t need him. The kid’s parents have already given him a somewhat negative reputation by not insisting he wait until high school to make any “commitment.”

  8. lanzurrah says: Jun 28, 2014 8:09 PM

    Sark didn’t want the kid…he’s simply not that talented of a recruit. Let the second-tier programs have him…

  9. howthenfcwestwaswon says: Jun 28, 2014 11:20 PM

    I seriously doubt the offer was still standing. This sounds like an attempt to try to save some face.

  10. ancientcougar says: Jun 29, 2014 12:06 AM

    No. 14 Pro-Style Q’Back in the Country and you think that USC was pulling back on the original offer? Do you guys have day jobs and how are you doing with those?

  11. chinahand11 says: Jun 29, 2014 3:21 AM

    The foolishness has to end. Only HS seniors should be allowed to commit, let them do their little hat thing on TV. Can you imagine if a 13-year-old boy went on one of those “do the town” recruiting visits complete with hot girls, brewskies, and loud music? Something like that could scar a kid for life!

  12. lanzurrah says: Jun 29, 2014 5:16 AM

    No. 14 Pro-Style Q’Back in the Country and you think that USC was pulling back on the original offer? Do you guys have day jobs and how are you doing with those?

    ———————————–

    He wasn’t even listed by ESPN in the Top 300 HS players as a junior and wasn’t in the top 27 Junior QBs by Scout….It was mentioned a year ago when Sark took over that USC would pull the offer. USC has no use for this kid with Browne/Town.

  13. florida727 says: Jun 29, 2014 9:50 AM

    Whatever list this kid now has, I’m convinced Florida won’t be on it as long as Muschamp is the coach in Gainesville. For that matter, I’m pretty sure as long as he’s the head coach ANY high school QB worth a damn won’t have the Gators on their short list.

  14. duff23 says: Jun 29, 2014 11:05 AM

    USC should market there QB situation as “Brown Town”

  15. swampcannons says: Jun 29, 2014 3:21 PM

    @florida727:

    Sheriron Jones out of Rancho Verde is a 2015 QB commit and pretty sure he’s worth a damn. The glaring problem was the offensive style and former OC and that has been solved with the addition of Roper and the spread offense. He has a lot of talent to work with and it will be worlds apart from last season’s failure. Muschamp and his staff deserve credit for bringing in a top 10 recruiting class after an abysmal 4-8 season. Definitely not an easy task nowadays in CFB.

  16. 76ersdoubletank says: Jul 3, 2014 3:14 PM

    I always thought the best thing about this kid is how his dad started a fake school just so he could recruit football talent. This kid used to go to Red Lion here in DE, but that school’s football program got shut down for being pretty non-legit when it came to academics. So now he goes to a football school that isn’t christian whatsoever. Not that I can blame em, why not.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!