Four-star 2015 TE chooses Duke over… USC?

14 Comments

The times they are a-changin’” — Bob Dylan, circa 1964 but still relevant today, especially as it relates to one particular stop on the recruiting trail.

As you may or may not be aware, Duke football underwent a renaissance of sorts in 2014. In his sixth season with the football program, David Cutcliffe and his Blue Devils set a school record in 2013 for wins in a season with 10 and earned its first-ever Coastal division title. Duke played in its first-ever ACC championship game as well, and played in a bowl game in back-to-back seasons for the first time in the program’s 92-year history.

Apparently, that momentum has bled into the 2015 recruiting season as the Blue Devils Wednesday picked up a commitment from Tyler Petite. Petite is a four-star 2015 recruit, rated as the No. 13 tight end in the country. Normally tight end verbals don’t warrant a mention here. This one, however, is different.

You see, Petite hails from the state of California and had narrowed his choices down to Duke and USC. So, yes — at least for now — Petite opted for the Blue Devils over the Trojans and to play his college football clear on the other side of the country.

It should be noted, however, that the decision was far from a no-brainer.

It was pretty much the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make,” Petite told Rivals.com. “I got home from USC and I wanted to take some time, just a week, to kind of get back to neutral almost. You’re always going to be high coming off that last visit, especially with it being one of my favorite schools.

“I sat down with my family going through the pros and cons and I couldn’t find any cons for either school. Everything about both I just loved. One day I was thinking USC. The next day it would be Duke. Even my family had no idea. We all just thought both would be a great fit,” Petite continued.

“Then I was just sitting in my room one day and I thought, ‘For the next four or five years, where would I be most comfortable?’ Duke just came to me. It’s so much like my high school and that stuck with me. I went to bed that night and when I woke up it was still Duke. Then I went to bed again, got up, and it was Duke. Finally I went to my dad and told him.”

Still, kudos to Cutcliffe and his his staff for pulling a significant commitment from USC’s own state. The task, though, will now be for the Blue Devils to hang on to the commitment until February of next year as first-year Trojans head coach Steve Sarkisian and his staff will no doubt be looking to flip Petite over the next several months.

(Photo credit: Rivals.com)

New Mexico AD Paul Krebs in hot water for Scotland golf trip

Getty Images
Leave a comment

New Mexico AD Paul Krebs (right) had it all figured out. He wanted to go to Scotland to play golf (who doesn’t) but he didn’t want to pay for it (who does?). So he came up with a solution: he’d turn it into a UNM fundraising trip and make the school pay for it.

The school sold 23 packages to travel across the pond for a getaway of luxurious accommodations and bucket-list golf, but put the bills of himself, two UNM executives and a handful of local businessmen on the school’s dime. Lots of dimes, in fact. The trip cost the Lobos nearly $65,000.

“The trip was a working trip and it was designed to immerse us with these donors. It was an intensive experience and I understand why people may question it,” Krebs told KRQE-TV earlier this month.

Despite his attempt at justification, it appeared Krebs knew from the start the trip was an ethical no-no. The $65,000 bill was classified as a basketball tournament on UNM’s accounting paperwork, and Krebs failed to disclose the nature of the June 2015 trip to acting president Chaouki Abdallah until last week.

“VP Krebs came to me and told me that he wanted to tell me something that he had forgotten or did not tell me before,” Abdallah told KRQE. “I was not happy.”

It is not clear why the UNM Foundation or the Lobo Club,  non-profits that handles the school’s and the athletics department’s fundraising efforts, respectively, did not cover the cost of the trip, especially since Lobo Club executive director Kole McKamey was one of the UNM officials who was on the trip. Putting the bill on the university’s ledger also appears to be a violation of the state’s anti-donation laws. The $24,000 cost to take the Albuquerque businessmen has since been refunded by an anonymous donor.

“(Krebs) told me about it in no uncertain terms,” Abdallah told said. “He didn’t try to sugarcoat it. He said I made a mistake. I didn’t tell you about it before. Here’s what happened. I’m going to try to fix it.”

 

Miami Beach Bowl officially moves to Frisco, Texas

Getty Images
2 Comments

The Miami Beach Bowl was an unnecessary bowl game played in a metro area already populated by bowl games — but at least it was in Miami. Bowl games may have lost their luster over the past decade-plus, but it’s hard to complain about being sent to South Beach in December for a football game.

The Miami Beach Bowl is no more, and it’s now been reincarnated as another unnecessary bowl game to be played in a metro area even more populated by bowl games — and it won’t be anywhere near as interesting as Miami.

Meet the Frisco Bowl, the newest ESPN-created postseason college football game to be played in the scenic locale of Frisco, Texas.

The north Dallas suburb will host the game at Toyota Stadium, a 20,500-seat outdoor venue that’s home to MLS club FC Dallas as well as the FCS National Championship every January. The Frisco Bowl will also compete for sponsorship dollars and public attention with the Cotton Bowl in Arlington, the Heart of Dallas Bowl in Dallas and the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth.

“We are pleased to be able to host this game in one of the most vibrant football markets in the country,” said ESPN vice president of events Clint Overby. “The infrastructure and facilities that exist in Frisco are outstanding and will be an excellent venue for the teams, players, administrators and fans traveling into the marketplace. We look forward to working with civic organizations and businesses in the area to create an annual event that embraces the spirit of the community.”

The first annual Frisco Bowl will pit an American Athletic Conference team against a to-be-determined conference at 8 p.m. ET on Dec. 20.

2017 Texas signee sees felony drug charge reduced to misdemeanor

Getty Images
1 Comment

It appears the door to one member of Texas’ 2017 recruiting class arriving in Austin this summer has opened a little wider.

In late February, Reese Leitao was arrested at his Oklahoma high school on a charge of possession/delivery of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to sell within a thousand feet of a school, a felony.  Tuesday, the Austin American-Statesman is reporting, Leitao pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor drug possession charge.

As part of the plea agreement, Leitao received a four-year deferred sentence; provided he stays clean during that time, the charge will be wiped off his record.  The American-Statesman writes that, “[a]ccording to Leitao’s attorney, Leitao has ‘some probationary work,’including speaking engagements at schools, and will be under the supervision of the district attorney.”  A $1,000 fine was part of his punishment as well.

The ball is now in the hands of first-year UT head coach Tom Herman as to whether Leitao will have a football future with the Longhorns.

“I’m happy,” the attorney, Allen Smallwood, told the newspaper. “Hopefully the University of Texas will be happy.”

At the time of Leitao’s arrest, a statement attributed to Herman said that “[w]e’re collecting information, will talk to Reese and his family, let the legal system run its course and then address it further at the appropriate time.” As of this posting, the university has yet to publicly address the development.

Leitao was a three-star 2017 signee, rated as the No. 19 tight end in the country and the No. 8 player at any position in the state of Oklahoma.

Miami All-American, NFL Hall of Famer Cortez Kennedy dead at 48

Getty Images
3 Comments

One of the most physically-gifted and talented players in the history of Miami Hurricanes football is gone way, way too soon.

The Orlando Police Department confirmed Tuesday afternoon that Cortez Kennedy passed away earlier today.  He was just 48 years old.

No cause of death has been determined, with the OPD stating that “at this time there is nothing suspicious to report but we are conducting an investigation regarding his unattended passing.”

After starting his collegiate playing career at the junior college level, Kennedy moved on to the University of Miami, earning All-American honors in 1989.  In 2004, he was inducted into the university’s Sports Hall of Fame.

The third overall pick of the 2000 NFL draft, Kennedy spent his entire 11-year pro career with the Seattle Seahawks.  In 2012, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Not surprisingly, Kennedy’s sudden passing has brought an outpouring of emotion from those connected to the football program.