Mark Emmert

Report: 22% of athletic departments have oversight of sex crime investigations at schools

9 Comments

NCAA President Mark Emmert was one of the witnesses for what turned out to be an informative and constructive Senate committee hearing regarding the mix of collegiate athletics and academics. Emmert at times was on the receiving end of some valid criticisms of the NCAA, many of which Emmert confirmed are in the process of being addressed by the NCAA membership in the coming months, but he survived the afternoon hearing in one piece. There was most certainly a healthy of dose of politicians getting on their soapbox during their time slots in the schedule, which was to be expected.

One of the more striking revelations during the Senate committee hearing on Wednesday was when Missouri senator Claire McCaskill drilled into Emmert, asking why his position even exists and whether or not he is a leader or a minion of university presidents. The Senator was armed with data from a brand new report, conveniently published today by McCaskill’s office, which claimed 22 percent of the athletic departments in the country allow athletic departments to have oversight of investigations relating to sexual crimes allegedly committed by student-athletes. Only 34 percent of schools surveyed have an office on campus designed to assist victims of sexual abuse.

According to the details of the comprehensive study, 30 percent of public universities allow athletic departments to have oversight of any investigations tied to sexual crimes involving student-athletes. That is eight percent higher than the national sample (22 percent). McCaskill discussed the report’s findings while addressing concern over recent investigations around college football, singling out the Jameis Winston case at Florida State.

“We will never know if he was guilty or not because of who he is,” McCaskill said referring to Winston, addressing her concern over star players being able to escape justice. Winston was never charged with a crime by state authorities, and Florida State University’s own investigation failed to find a reason to punish the star quarterback. Of course, state authorities did not charge Winston with any crime either, which McCaskill neglected to mention.

The percentage of athletic departments with oversight on sex-related investigations is higher for medium-sized schools with an enrollment between 1,000 and 9,999 students, where 37 percent of the athletic departments having oversight authority. Division two schools, many falling within that previous range, have the highest percentage, with 48 percent of the schools having oversight privileges for athletic departments. Part of the reason for the higher numbers for medium-sized schools and D2 schools may be due to the available staff for schools of that size. With smaller schools to manage, the need for expanded staffing may not be as necessary, but eery institution is different.

So is this an alarming problem? That may be up for debate, and that debate may just be getting underway. You can read the full report and evaluate all of the data and come to your own conclusions. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

Ex-Vandy RB Brian Kimbrow now an ex-MTSU RB, too

Brian Kimbrow
Associated Press
Leave a comment

Maybe the third time will be the charm for Brian Kimbrow? Or maybe there’ll be no third time, period?

That appears to be the case Kimbrow confirmed to Rivals.com earlier this week that he has walked away from the Middle Tennessee State football team. Not only that, but the running back has walked away from the sport, period.

“I just didn’t love football like I used to and wanted to focus on school and my forensics career,” Kimbrow told the recruiting website. “Just burned out for real.”

Kimbrow began his collegiate career at Vanderbilt as a four-star recruit in 2012. He ran for 748 yards and six touchdowns his first two seasons with the Commodores before he was indefinitely suspended early on in the 2014 season for conduct detrimental to the team. A month later, the then-junior was dismissed from the Vandy football program.

Kimbrow joined MTSU as a graduate transfer earlier this year and participated in spring practice with his new Blue Raiders teammates.

James Pierre, three-star 2016 signee, given release from UNC

5 Sep 1998:  General view of the mascot for the North Carolina Tar Heels displayed during the game against the Miami Ohio Redhawks at the Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The Redhawks defeated the Tar Heels 13-10. Mandatory Credit: Chris Cova
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Once at 26, North Carolina’s 2016 recruiting class has been pared by one.

According to a report from 247Sports.com, 2016 signee James Pierre has been given a release from the National Letter of Intent he signed with UNC.  The recruiting website reports that Pierre was denied admissions by the university, leading to his full release.

Because he has not attended any classes at UNC, Pierre would be eligible to play immediately at another FBS program.  He’d then have the standard five years to use four seasons of eligibility.

A three-star 2016 recruit, Pierre was rated as the No. 48 safety in the country.  In addition to UNC, Pierre held scholarship offers from, among others, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Miami, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

RB Denzell Evans opts to transfer from Arkansas

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 7.08.22 PM
Arkansas athletics
Leave a comment

Arkansas lost, at least temporarily, a running back to injury last month.  This month, they’ve lost one permanently, for a whole other reason entirely.

Thursday, Bret Bielema confirmed that Denzell Evans plans to transfer out of his Razorbacks football program.  No specific reason for the parting of ways was given.

The running back will remain enrolled in school until he graduates, then move on to an undetermined location.  As Evans will be a graduate transfer, he’ll be eligible to play immediately if his new college football home plays at the FBS level.

As a bonus for his new program, Evans will actually have two years of eligibility left to use.

The past two seasons after redshirting as a true freshman in 2013, Evans had played in 15 games.  Evans rushed for 84 yards on 13 carries in his Razorbacks career; 48 of those yards and six of the carries came in the fourth quarter of an Oct. 31 win over UT-Martin this past season.

Evans, a three-star 2013 signee, scored a pair of rushing touchdowns in the spring game last month.

Report: Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky abuses as far back as 1976

PATERNO SANDUSKY
Associated Press
9 Comments

Oh boy.

As an insurance case connected to the Jerry Sandusky child-sex abuse case continues to wind its way through the legal system, PennLive.com writes, ” a new bombshell” was dropped Thursday.  According to the newspaper website, a court order in the case indicates that deceased former Penn State head coach Joe Paterno was aware in 1976 of sexual abuse allegations against Sandusky, the former Paterno right-hand man who was convicted of molesting at least 10 underage males victims during and after his long stint as a Nittany Lions assistant.

It’s further alleged in the order that Paterno did not tell his superiors of the allegations in 1976, nor subsequent allegations a decade later. From the report:

The line in question states that one of Penn State’s insurers has claimed “in 1976, a child allegedly reported to PSU’s Head Coach Joseph Paterno that he (the child) was sexually molested by Sandusky.”

The order also cites separate references in 1987 and 1988 in which unnamed assistant coaches witnessed inappropriate contact between Sandusky and unidentified children, and a 1988 case that was supposedly referred to Penn State’s athletic director at the time.

“There is no evidence that reports of these incidents ever went further up the chain of command at PSU,” Judge Gary Glazer wrote, in determining that because Penn State’s executive officers weren’t aware of the allegations, he would not bar those claims from insurance coverage.”

Paterno supporters, including his family, have long argued that Paterno did nothing inappropriate and did not cover up for his former coach; Paterno himself admitted, though, in an interview before he was fired in the midst of the scandal in November of 2011, “I wish I had done more.”

Thursday, Paterno’s family once again rushed to the Hall of Famer’s defense in a statement.

Over the past four-and-a-half years Joe Paterno’s conduct has been scrutinized by an endless list of investigators and attorneys.

“Through all of this review there has never been any evidence of inappropriate conduct by Coach Paterno. To the contrary, the evidence clearly shows he shared information with his superiors as appropriate.

“An allegation now about an alleged event 40 years ago, as represented by a single line in a court document regarding an insurance issue, with no corroborating evidence, does not change the facts. Joe Paterno did not, at any time, cover up conduct by Jerry Sandusky.

The case in which the 1976 allegation was revealed involves Pennsylvania Manufacturers Association Insurance Co., which is arguing that it’s not responsible for reimbursing Penn State the more than $60 million it has paid out in Sandusky-related damages.

The 72-year-old Sandusky is currently serving 30-60 years after being convicted on 45 counts in a 48-count indictment.