West Virginia has not been shy on scheduling news this week. In addition to plans to play Tennessee in Charlotte to open the 2018 season and head coach Dana Holgorsen suggesting a revival of The Backyard Brawl with Pittsburgh, the Mountaineers rolled out plans for a home-and-home series with a different ACC opponent, North Carolina State. West Virginia and North Carolina State will square off in 2018 and 2019, according to a West Virginia statement.
West Virginia will host NC State on September 15, 2018. North Carolina State will host the second game the following season on September 14, 2019. This scheduling agreement will satisfy NC State’s non-conference scheduling requirement in the ACC, which requires each member to schedule a power conference opponent each season in non-conference play. NC State now has the non-conference scheduling requirement fulfilled from 2017 through 2021 (at Notre Dame in 2017, WVU in 2018 and 2019, Mississippi State home-and-home in 2020 and 2021).
As noted above, West Virginia is scheduled to open the 2018 season in Charlotte against Tennessee, giving the Mountaineers two non-conference games against power conference opponents in 2018 with one game to fill. As it stands now, there is no scheduling requirement in the Big 12 to schedule non-conference opponents from other power conferences (although it is certainly encouraged by Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops).
“I am excited about this series, because it gives our football program and our fans an outstanding home-and-home series with a team from the ACC,” West Virginia Athletics Director Oliver Luck said in the released statement. “WVU has a lot of alumni living in North Carolina, especially in the triangle region, so it gives our fans a game that is close. We have had a competitive games over the years with NC State, and this is a chance to restart the series.”
In all, the two schools have faced each other 10 times on the football field, with the most recent meeting coming in the 2010 Champs Sports Bowl. Each school has won five games in the series that dates back to 1914.
The West Point career of Josh Jenkins has apparently taken yet another twist.
On his personal Twitter account earlier Tuesday — he pinned it for emphasis — Jenkins posted a tweet that included a YouTube highlight video with the text consisting of “looking to transfer from Army West Point.” Just why the defensive back has decided to leave the service academy is unclear.
Jenkins reportedly suffered a serious and significant head injury during an on-post fight with a teammate over the Fourth of July weekend last year. The teammate, linebacker Seth Combs, was dismissed from the team; Jenkins was unable to play at all in 2015 because of the injuries he sustained.
During spring practice, Jenkins was not allowed to participate in contact drills. Sal Interdonato of the Times Herald-Record wrote that Black Knights head coach “Jeff Monken said near the end of spring practice that he was ‘hopeful’ that Jenkins would be cleared to practice with full contact in the preseason.”
In 2014, Jenkins was tied for second on the team with 63 tackles, while his four interceptions and eight passes broken up were the most of any Black Knight. He also blocked two kicks, a total that was tops on the team as well.
Two former members of Power Five football programs have decided to slide far down the college football ladder in restarting their respective careers.
According to 247Sports.com, Cole is on the campus of East Mississippi Community College and will play for the JUCO team in 2016. The report comes nearly four months after it was reported that Cole had decided to transfer from Michigan to Kentucky.
The recruiting website writes that UK “is a school Cole continues to consider.”
Cole was a highly sought after four-star 2015 recruit who was an early enrollee in Jim Harbaugh‘s first UM class. The No. 74 player nationally on 247Sports.com‘s composite board, Cole was also the No. 1-rated player at any position in the state of Michigan. He played in two games at receiver with the Wolverines; he’ll move to safety with his new program.
Speaking of defensive backs, former Notre Dame safety Mykelti Williams has also decided to go the JUCO route. It was confirmed in March of this year that Williams had decided to leave the Irish and transfer elsewhere.
As it turns out, that elsewhere is Iowa Western.
Williams was a three-star member of the Irish’s 2015 recruiting class, rated as the No. 29 safety in the country; the No. 4 player at any position in the state of Indiana; and the No. 464 player overall according to 247Sports.com. The 5-11, 200-pound defensive back chose Notre Dame over offers from, among others, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin.
He took a redshirt as a true freshman last season.
Earlier this month, Stevie Tu’ikolovatu made the decision to transfer from Utah. Over the weekend, the defensive lineman paid a visit to Nebraska as he began the process of finding a new college football home.
Earlier this week, Tu’ikolovatu continued that process at the defending national champions.
According to the defensive tackle’s Twitter account, Tu’ikolovatu paid a visit to Alabama on Monday. While the Tide, as always, remains loaded along the line even after losing so much to the NFL draft, they could certainly use someone with the talent — and size — the 6-1, 320-pound Tu’ikolovatu possesses if the player and team find common ground.
Last season with the Utes, Tu’ikolovatu played in all 13 games, starting two of those contests. His four fumble recoveries were tied for the lead in the Pac-12 and second nationally.
All told, Tu’ikolovatu played in 25 games the past two seasons. As a graduate transfer, he’d be eligible to play immediately in 2016 whether he moves on to Alabama, Nebraska or any other FBS program.
The 2016 season will, though, be his final year of eligibility.
After just one season on The Plains, Tim Irvin will be plying his football wares elsewhere moving forward.
On his personal Twitter account Tuesday, Irvin, the nephew of former Miami Hurricanes and Dallas Cowboys receiving great Michael Irvin, announced that “it will be better for me to pursue my career elsewhere.” The 5-9, 194-pound defensive back gave no reason for his decision.
The Miami, Fla., native was a four-star member of AU’s 2015 recruiting class. 247Sports.com had Irvin rated as the No. 38 player at any position in the state of Florida and the No. 285 player overall in its composite rankings.
As a true freshman last season, Irvin played in 10 games. He started at nickel corner in games in which the Tigers opened in the nickel package.
As for potential landing spots? It’s being reported that East Carolina, Miami and Texas may be considerations.