Urban Meyer’s wife tells Gator fans to ‘get over it’

25th Outback Bowl - Florida Gators v Penn State Nittany Lions Getty Images

Urban Meyer won 65 games, three SEC championships and two national titles during his six seasons as the head coach of the Florida Gators. Yet, there is still lingering resentment within the Gators’ fan base regarding how Meyer left the program.

Meyer’s wife, Shelley Meyer, isn’t happy with the grief her husband still has to endure from faceless detractors.

“All of my comments are about message board people,” Shelley Meyer told The Gainesville Sun’s Pat Dooley. “I still go to Gainesville four times a year. Nobody ever says anything mean to me. What I care about are the people down there who love us and know us. The people who hate us I don’t even know.

“I just wish people would get over it. I wish we could have been there 12 years. I’m the most bummed that we weren’t there 12 years.”

For some of the irrational members of the fan base, it was about more than slipping to an 8-5 record in 2010. It wasn’t about the large contingent of malcontents left on the roster when Will Muschamp took over the program. Urban Meyer’s decision to leave the program due to health concerns and then take the Ohio State coaching job a year later was a betrayal of the fans’ trust.

“But here is my perception (about Florida fans): I think they feel like they were kind of left at the altar,” Shelley Meyer said. “They feel a betrayal, even though they were so mad at him about how our last season (2010) went. You can’t please them. You can’t please all fans anywhere; you can’t. And I’ve just accepted that, and I love when our fans are behind us and support us and I love that they love their team, but we can’t take it personally.

“Because, not one person that is close to us (from their time in Florida) has ever come up and said anything bad. ‘Why did you leave? You faked it. You weren’t sick. You had this Ohio State thing lined up the entire time.’ I would hear that all the time, and I was like ‘Uh, no.’ Because I was not coming here. So, trust me, that was not planned. So, the people who are critical of us, it’s not the people who know us. It’s the people who aren’t even around the program. They just want their team to win, and whoever can get their team to win, that’s who they’re for. And if you can’t do it or if you left them, then they’ll hate you.”

The Gators’ fan base is also currently suffering from envy. It’s easy to see how well the Buckeyes have played under Urban Meyer’s direction. Ohio State is 24-2 the past two years. Florida, meanwhile, is 22-16 under Muschamp, and the program is coming off a 4-8 season.

Only time and Florida once again playing at a high level will defuse the hatred toward the Meyers that currently exists within a fan base that previously adored them.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Big Ten Conference, Florida Gators, Ohio State Buckeyes, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
53 Responses to “Urban Meyer’s wife tells Gator fans to ‘get over it’”
  1. jimmy53 says: Jul 27, 2014 1:26 PM

She has a point, but so do the fans.

The manner in which he left was extremely shady—the serious illness that only seemed to last one season. He brought titles to Gainesville, but he also brought issues as well–a nearly unprecedented amount of player arrests during his tenure—serious stench of recruiting violations—and a spoiled locker room that had become completely out of control.

If you go back and read some of Muschamp’s comments when he first got there, he is pretty open about having a lot of mess to clean up–which is really funny when you remember that UF was trying to keep Meyer on campus–remember the plan to give him an office to make him a special advisor to the football program–yeah, that worked out well…

2. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Jul 27, 2014 1:36 PM

Gator fans sold their souls for Meyer and his particular brand of evil.

What did they expect really? Once golden boy Tebow was gone and the reality of their situation, rampant cheating, insane amounts of arrests, cover up after cover up by the Gainsville PD and UF’s AD, did they really expect Meyer to hang around and try to rebuild that program?

They should be happy about their 2 rings (and lets be realistic here, they weren’t the best team either of those years, 2006 is hilarious particularly), still one less than the amount of murders that sit on Meyer’s head though.

Meyer is garbage, but the garbage that Gainsville deserved.

3. overratedgators says: Jul 27, 2014 1:37 PM

“Ohio State is 24-2 the past two years. Florida, meanwhile, is 22-16 under Muschamp, and the program is coming off a 4-8 season, INCLUDING A LOSS TO AN FCS TEAM.”

There. Fixed that for ya.

4. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jul 27, 2014 2:06 PM

Lol. Everyone hates your husband because he’s a liar. Yeah Gator fans are jealous of Ohio state. Get over yourself honey.

Yeah they are real jealous that you get rolled by every good team you play, and barely beat a garbage Michigan team.

5. barkleyblows says: Jul 27, 2014 2:11 PM

Obviously Florida was the best team during those two years dumbass. Why do you think they win the national championship.

Moron

6. barkleyblows says: Jul 27, 2014 2:13 PM

“Yep Meyer has that one murder hanging over his head”…. Lay off the drugs man.

7. doctorbluff says: Jul 27, 2014 2:15 PM

“I just wish people would get over it” is not at all the same as “Urban Meyer’s wife tells Florida fans to ‘get over it’,” especially not in the context of her other statements.

But suckers like me click on the article because of the misleading headline.

8. barkleyblows says: Jul 27, 2014 2:15 PM

Last I checked Meyer isn’t/wasn’t the only one having problems with arrests in the SECheat. I’m pretty sure that’s the norm for the SECheat.

Oh and Muschump is a horrendous head coach.

9. El Pollo Loco says: Jul 27, 2014 2:20 PM

Meyer left because nick Saban started kicking his ass every year.Once James Franklin builds Penn St. back into a powerhouse he’ll have ” medical issues” and quit again .

10. irishlad19 says: Jul 27, 2014 2:28 PM

Urban wanted out of Gainsville ahead of likely NCAA investigations if he had stayed.
    He saw what Pete Carroll did at USC and decided to jump a bit sooner.
    Will be interesting to see if tOSU heads down that path, or has he learned his lesson?

11. jrs45 says: Jul 27, 2014 2:31 PM

Go Buckeyes!!!!

12. tigersfandan says: Jul 27, 2014 3:21 PM

I was going to point out that her telling them to get over it is not likely to have the desired effect.

That, however, was before I found out that she didn’t exactly say it in the manner represented by the headline.

13. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Jul 27, 2014 3:28 PM

@Barkleyblows

2006 they had absolutely no business even being in the MNCG but the cries of “NO REMATCHES EVER” rang from the SEC and ESPN, you know until LSU/Bama of course.

And of course 2008 Utah should have won the title, undefeated, pummeled Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, Boise State ran through an undefeated regular season and couldn’t get higher than 9th, Texas who beat Oklahoma , and Texas Tech who beat Texas (but again NO REMATCHES EVER), both more deserving, USC who destroyed teams and had a fluke loss on the road (unlike UF losing on their home turf) more deserving.

Easily could have put Utah, Boise, Texas, Texas Tech and USC all over UF in that game, Utah was obviously the best team in the country by the seasons end.

14. laxer37 says: Jul 27, 2014 4:06 PM

Face it, he went to Ohio State because there’s typically only three or four competitive teams in the Big Ten each year. At Florida he was tested every single week.

15. gatorprof says: Jul 27, 2014 4:29 PM

Shelly, Shelly, Shelly…you know the reason that you made your husband quit. You know what (actually who) he was caught doing. For your sake, I hope that he isn’t repeating that behavior up there.

The stories (lies) that he told to justify his exit weren’t remotely believable then and are a joke now. Your girls still go school in the SE, so I guess that Columbus is closer to Gatech and FGCU than Gainesville. It was a remarkable health recovery by Urb. Furthermore, college football really changed for the better in those 10 months.

The Gator fans that I speak with didn’t appreciate the false righteousness of your husband given his covering up criminal behavior and engaging in immoral behavior himself.

Yes, the titles were great, but the stain of Aaron Hernandez doesn’t wipe off.

16. barkleyblows says: Jul 27, 2014 5:04 PM

I love the people that keep saying Florida shouldn’t have been there. Obviously they should have… Pretty sure they won the trophy that year.

17. gatorfan1 says: Jul 27, 2014 5:12 PM

First off, this article is ridiculous. Shelley Meyer was only criticizing a small fraction of Gators fans and said most are still supportive.

Most, if not all the other posts are just a tad off-base! Instead of dealing with each idiotic post here goes:

First, the nimrod about Florida not deserving to play for titles in 2006 & 2008. At the time OSU was being touted as the best team in the last 15 years. OSU had more yards on the opening kick off than the rest of the game..Lol. So tell me are you saying that there were several other teams as well as Florida who would have done that to OSU that year? In 2008 Oklahoma had the highest scoring offense ever! They scored 14 points against Florida. Enough said on that ridiculous comment.

I also like how everyone talks about cheating. Meyer has been a head coach now for 12-14 years w/o one hint of illegal recruiting. Another ridiculous observation.

Also, I take issue with the assumption that it was Tebow who was all there was to Florida & Meyer winning NC’s. It’s funny because when Gator fans talk about Tebow, all the haters come out and point out that he won only 1 NC and Leak won the other. So that means Meyer won with 2 different QB’s. I would also venture an opinion that if Newton had stayed, Florida would have won another championship. Florida was at least as talented as the Auburn team. That would have been 3 QB’s and 3 NC’s. So give Meyer his due.

And about the supposed affair – stop and think, and stop being a tool and spreading talk about a unsubstantiated rumor. You don’t think in this day and age that would not have been exposed? Look at Petrino. And remember, it was the school newspaper back in the 70″s that revealed all the allegations revolving around Pell, when he was the coach. Stop being an idiot – you sound like a gossiping female in an office. Take off your dress and curling irons and be a man and stop rumor-mongering. Geesh.

For Florida fans, we can’t bitch at Muschamp for supposedly cleaning up Meyer’s mess. It’s either we support Muschamp because we think Meyer left a mess or not. Muschamp will bring Forida back with enough time, but we need to support the team and the program.

18. gwcoatoam says: Jul 27, 2014 5:39 PM

The University of Florida and the alumni and students are actually neophytes at national football prominence. I am a Gators season ticket holder, but I have many times been ashamed at how the students conduct themselves at games, and I am somewhat dismayed at a number of alumni who expect a national championship every year. This attitude is creating a caldron to coaches and athletes alike that will despoil chances of UF ever returning to the national stage. Urban Meyer went back to Ohio State because he understands the rich tradition of an historically steeped program.

19. BrownsTown says: Jul 27, 2014 5:42 PM

Gatorprof (AKA Message Board Person) getting owned…..

20. gatorfan1 says: Jul 27, 2014 5:57 PM

gwcoatoam:

First off, please give back your tickets!! Secondly, the students at Florida are no worse than a lot of other students at other schools. As a matter of fact, much better. Have you ever traveled to other SEC venues, I have. I’ve seen bottles thrown at Florida teams at both S. Carolina and Tennessee. Ask about Georgia students who all walked down to the first section to throw debris of all kinds at Jim Donnan when he was at Geogia. It was estimated that close to 28, 000 fans left their seats to participate. And if you don’t think Florida will return to prominence, you truly are a fool. And I don’t know how you define neophyte, but Florida has been one of the most successful programs over the last 30 years. Please find another team to root for, we don’t need you!!

21. mogogo1 says: Jul 27, 2014 6:15 PM

I agree with her up to a point but then I’m reminded of the fact that if Urban had wanted to stay there he certainly could have. Instead he caught some mystery illness that prompted his “retirement” only to disappear never to be heard of again so he could take a new job within a year. Heart? Nerves? Whatever exactly the issue was, nothing serious resolves itself that quickly and completely.

22. derekgorgonstar says: Jul 27, 2014 7:10 PM

You think those Gator teams had criminals? Wait until you see Ohio State in a few years. He’s going to leave that program a smoking crater.

23. abuckley says: Jul 27, 2014 7:11 PM

Florida fans are ignorantly laughable. First up … Meyer left the cupboard bare? Paaalease. Meyer brought in the #1 ranked class in 2010 and had top-5 recruiting classes before that. (Please look at ESPN rankings … or other ranking sites). Two, Meyer’s health issues had to do with a misdiagnosis of heart palpitations. Not exactly something you want to be messing with under the stress of being a head coach. Three, Tressel had yet to get himself in trouble at OSU, so for any fan to believe Meyer somehow planned this perfect timing move to become OSU’s head coach … is a moron. Four, for those who back-handedly claim Meyer needed to get out of the SEC since Saban would dominate him … are also morons. What … are Florida fans saying Meyer can beat Saban with Utah kids but can’t beat Saban with Florida talent? That isn’t very nice to insult your kids like that. And finally, the man won two national titles and three SEC championships for you … in six years! Facts are hard to deal with if they don’t defend your position, I understand … but get over your selves and stop wallowing in the sorrow of your petty little spoiled football lives. Go Bucks.

24. mrlaloosh says: Jul 27, 2014 7:12 PM

Urban Meyer to his wife on their wedding night– “we’re married now. Get over it”…..

25. derekgorgonstar says: Jul 27, 2014 7:13 PM

Oh, and nobody was bitter at Spurrier when he left. They were grateful. You want a dirty coach, you get it.

26. stoicpaisano says: Jul 27, 2014 7:23 PM

Did someone compare Franklin to Saban, really? He took a Vandy program to new heights — winning a few fourth tier bowl games. Against any top competition, the Franklin-led Commodores were simply awful, rather than historically terrible.

I wouldn’t be so sure Franklin will find Michigan State or Ohio State any easier than LSU or Bama. The bottom end of the Top 25 would be a good goal for PSU in the short term, but Franklin may/may not be able to lead the program higher. There are many more coaches who don’t get to the Saban/miles/Meyer level.

27. gatorfan1 says: Jul 27, 2014 7:40 PM

abuckley:

Please don’t lump all Gator fans in the same mold! Just like I won’t jump to the conclusion that you were one of the OSU fans (numerous) who came on this site to blast Meyer after the NC game.

Between this & other sites, there were thousands of OSU fans who called Meyer a piece of s**t or worse, and said they would never support Meyer ever becoming the coach of OSU!

Now that he is YOUR coach, he’s the 2nd coming. Not sure I’ve seen a more hypercritical fan base, ever!!

Now, how does it fell to be lumped in with all those Buckeye fans – unless of course you were one of them. Then you sound completely idiotic for criticizing another team’s fan base!!!

28. abuckley says: Jul 27, 2014 7:58 PM

Well gatorfan boy … I’m not sure what you’re talking about. After the title game in which UF surprised and dominated the favored OSU? … OSU fans came here and dumped on Meyer? Why? Again, this a baseless and clueless claim leveled by an unlevel and unfair fan. I remember well the destruction my Bucks suffered to your Meyer coached UF team. But my disappointment … and the overwhelming majority of OSU fans I know … had to do with our own team not showing up … and nothing to do with Meyer or anyone from Florida. Go make up your stories someplace else. The point I was trying to make is the point you have cluelessly avoided … that FACTS … and not your baseless opinions and biases … do not defend the Gator hate of Meyer. Go Bucks.

29. abuckley says: Jul 27, 2014 8:01 PM

And gatorfan … I would never lump ALL Gator fans in the same lump with fans like you … just as Shelley Meyer did not in the article above. How soon and easily you forget. Just another example in a long line of you lying to yourself with your own biases. How sad.

30. ducksk says: Jul 27, 2014 8:07 PM

Who cares what she says.

31. gatorfan1 says: Jul 27, 2014 8:16 PM

abuckley:

You are full of s**t! It was all over blogs and the internet all the comments. Many, many buckeye fans came on this site blasting Meyer. You must be new to this site because it’s been a running joke on here about how OSU fans did an about face concerning Meyer since being hired at OSU.

Hopefully, the people who follow this site will chime in. And maybe this site’s editors could repost links for your amusement.

32. dkhhuey says: Jul 27, 2014 8:36 PM

Who cares – if there are Gator fans that are still butt hurt about Meyer leaving – grow the f@#$ up and move on. Most of the Gator fans I know love Meyer for what he did for the school while he was there and understand the circumstances that led him to leave!

33. jrs45 says: Jul 27, 2014 8:47 PM

Go Buckeyes!!!

34. laudermk says: Jul 27, 2014 9:52 PM

Urban Meyer left not because of health issues, but because the program was out of control, his personal life was a mess, the NCAA was snooping around, players were getting arrested right and left, and he frankly didn’t have the stomach or inclination to rebuild from the ground up…now that would have been an accomplishment…but he is nothing more than a carpetbagger like Saban and they like Bammer just happened to be paying more and better for recruits those years than the rest of the programs were…once the arrests and character issues, including his own, came to the forefront then his health became an issue and this alleged health concern caused his resignation, then unresignation, then resignation again a year later…even though he somehow seemed to recover just in time to do analysis for the networks….and then somehow recovered just in time to take over a program brimming with talent but NCAA sanctions…so he doesn’t get blamed early on then if they begin to win, he is a savior, and then it goes downhill, he has another health scare, and he resigns and unresigns…this college football is beyond putrid…it is as dirty and slimy and underhanded as any profession, and these college coaches rank somewhere between politicians and personal injury lawyers on respectability among the public…you really think these players go to Bammer because Saban is a good guy and that he prepares them better for the NFL? bullcrap if you believe that….I could win with that type of talent and ten million assistants to do everything but go take a bathroom break for me…it is all a load of garbage and the sooner these coaches are outed for what they are really like, and the truth comes out about how truly devoid of any morality these programs are, the better off collegiate athletics will be

35. vols84 says: Jul 27, 2014 10:47 PM

I’m glad he is gone but we still suck. Next year.

36. slash714 says: Jul 27, 2014 11:36 PM

What’s up with stars from ohio coming down to Florida and realize what a shit hole it is and moving back to ohio???

37. harkafella says: Jul 28, 2014 3:06 AM

Urban left Florida citing health issues and wanting to spend more time with children. Then, he proceeded to travel around the nation with ESPN for a year away from his family. After his miraculous recovery, he took a job at OSU within a year – doing the exact same thing that supposedly caused his medical issues. Gator fans aren’t envious of a football program we dominate every time we meet. We just think Meyer is a liar who left a failing program on false terms because he didn’t feel like cleaning up the mess he created. Enjoy the green grass and continue kicking dead horses, Shelley. 41-14.

38. davidhhurwitch says: Jul 28, 2014 6:40 AM

Who knows if Urban Myer screwed Florida for sure? The way it was done just leaves a bad taste in our mouths. Its a lot like Labrand James and Cleaveland. They hated him when he left. But when they had the chance to get him back they welcomed him back with open arms. Lets face it Urban Myer needs to coach and keep his mouth shut. He has stoked the fire a few times which helps to perpetuate his wifes problem. Now I have never liked the Ohio State fan base. They live in an unreal world based on a legacy. When they play SEC teams they get their buts kicked. When they are undefeated they rank lower than a undefeated SEC team. Not a single one of them has a schedule that even comes close to Florida. If they played in the SEC they wouldn’t be undefeated. The best year of my life was when they badmouthed Florida and we kicked their ass in football and won the national championship and then did it again in basketball. We get to open against Michigan in a few years and we had better be ready ! I would love to see Florida play Ohio State every year. Talk about rivalries. If we lost that game the coach would get canned.

39. floridacock says: Jul 28, 2014 7:25 AM

Understandable. The passion and expectations of the non-graduate FL fans is ridiculous. They drove off Spurrier first and then Meyer. Get over it

40. roltyd says: Jul 28, 2014 8:37 AM

I say, “way to go, Shelley!”, but you won’t see Terry Saban jump up and say that to the LSU Tiger “faithful”, who continue to think CNS left Baton Rouge for Tuscaloosa diliberately, ignoring his tenure in the pros in Miami.

I still don’t like Meyer, though, and I do believe HE had ulterior motives.

41. kaspauf says: Jul 28, 2014 11:09 AM

Regardless of this article… every time I hear about UF and OSU I do not think of Urban Meyer but I do think about how in the same season (’06-’07) UF beat OSU for a national championship in football and basketball, Chris Leak goes out a champ ( As he should considering the whole ‘Tebow’ hype was a lot but he stayed composed through it all) and Billy Donovan’s team completes the back to back title run at the expense of OSU. I simply think of that when UF and OSU are mentioned in the same breath, not about Urban Meyer.

42. ndirish8178 says: Jul 28, 2014 12:27 PM

I just thank God he didn’t end up @ Notre Dame!

43. swampcannons says: Jul 28, 2014 1:07 PM

It’s time to support Muschamp as he’s quietly recruited well and has run a clean program. It’s popular to hate on him but that’s just for trolls that want UF to fail. We are fortunate to still have great recruiting and Muschamp has done well despite last season’s debacle. Muschamp’s glaring mistake has been hiring inept OCs. The defense has remained consistent and he deserves credit for that. I believe Roper will be a much better fit for this team in running the spread. No doubt though that if Muschamp doesn’t win against UGA this season he will be gone. This team will be turning some heads this season and they have a lot of motivation to push them. Can’t wait for the season to get here!

44. dmarado says: Jul 28, 2014 1:13 PM

I’m just thankful he didn’t go to Georgia Southern or Gainesville may have just imploded after the Eagles pummeled Florida last year.

45. packerbadger says: Jul 28, 2014 1:51 PM

As far as I’m concerned you can put Blohio State in the $ECheat. $ECheat would become a whole lot smarter and the Big 10 a whole lot less corrupt.

46. leadbone says: Jul 28, 2014 4:13 PM

Ohio State and for that matter most all the Big Ten is not Florida or the SEC. Jim Tressel resigned as head coach from Ohio State over not being totally truthful about some emails regarding students trading paraphernalia for tattoos and such. That action compared to what goes on in the SEC was nothing. Don’t know if I can believe hardly any of the crap that was written in this blog about Urban Meyer, but I can assure you none of that kind of thing would fly at Ohio State or most any other Big Ten school. Football and sports are for sure important in the Big Ten but they don’t rule the day the way football does in the SEC. Meyer is doing a splendid job at Ohio State so far, and either has or is building a team that will compete with anyone in the SEC, just as a few other Big Ten schools are doing. Get over it. Go buckeyes!

47. gatorfan1 says: Jul 28, 2014 4:35 PM

What you OSU fans don’t get is that Meyer is a better than average coach, but nowhere near the coach he was at Utah and the first 4 years at Florida!

Just google the name Avery Atkins and you will see why.

He hasn’t been the same driven coach as he was before this incident. The discipline at Florida took a severe turn for the worse afterwards.

As much as I like Meyer, he will never be the coach OSU hoped for and I will predict that OSU will never win a NC under him. Too bad really because he was well on his way to being one of the all-time greats

48. realfootballfan says: Jul 28, 2014 10:51 PM

Oh boy. Guess the divorce has gotten ugly now.

49. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jul 30, 2014 9:01 AM

@leadbone

Lol who are you kidding buddy. Football players at Ohio State are thugs and aleays get cash stuffed envelopes.

Yeah nothing like your band too right? It only took 3 years to be found out. But you clowns at Ohio State run a clean program right. Gimme a break. You are the dirtiest most corrupt program in college sports

50. jordierivers says: Jul 30, 2014 12:33 PM

It is easy for her to say because she lives with the Urban Liar.

51. jordierivers says: Jul 30, 2014 12:39 PM

The Buckeyes lose the big ones; their coach also runs away from challenges.

52. SportsChump says: Jul 30, 2014 4:17 PM

Sweet!

Now Gator fans can hate Meyer’s wife as much as they hate him.

http://sportschump.net/2014/07/30/said-volume-six-chris-archer-adolpho-birch-stephen-smith-drew-brees-shelley-meyer-derrick-rose/14142/

53. bucknut1982 says: Aug 12, 2014 9:48 PM

Stupid fans will run their mouths about anything. These ignorant comments are the exact thing Shelley is talking about. Let’s, consider this, When Urban Meyer left Floria, Ohio State had Jim Tressel as head coach. Tressel was not linked to the tattoo scandal, at the time. Meyer had no clue Tressel would be forced to resign. It’s been over 3 years, let it go.