Skip to content

Back injury sidelines Auburn starting OG Kozan for 2014

Gus Malzahn

Auburn opened camp on Friday and is already down one starting offensive lineman for the 2014 season. Head coach Gus Malzahn told reporters on Friday offensive guard Alex Kozan will miss the entire 2014 season due to a back injury suffered over the offseason.

Kozan reportedly hurt his back while lifting weights at home this offseason, and he underwent surgery on Thursday according to Auburn Undercover. The sophomore started 13 games for the Tigers last season and earned freshman All-American honors as the Tigers played their way to the SEC Championship and a spot in the BCS Championship Game.

The loss of Kozan likely means there will be some shuffling on the offensive line. Auburn Undercover suggests offensive tackle Avery Young could switch the vacant guard position after starting nine games at tackle last fall.

Malzahn also told reporters starting quarterback Nick Marshall and starting defensive back Jonathan Mincy will each miss the start for the 2014 season opener against Arkansas on August 30. Both players had been charged for possession of marijuana in the offseason. Malzahn did make a point to say Marshall will play in the opener, but there is no update on Mincy’s availability for the first game of the season.

Permalink 0 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Auburn Tigers, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
Respond to “Back injury sidelines Auburn starting OG Kozan for 2014”
Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!