Wake Forest opened fall camp on a bit of a downer this weekend. Senior nose tackle Johnny Garcia has likely played his final game with the Demon Deacons. The school announced Monday Garcia had suffered a torn ACL for the second time in his collegiate career. The school expects Garcia to miss the 2014 season as a result.
Wake Forest says the injury happened on Saturday in practice. An MRI later confirmed the worst outcome, a torn ACL. The injury means Wake Forest loses one of the veteran starters expected to anchor the defensive line this season after losing three from last year’s roster.
Garcia played in all 12 games for Wake Forest in 2012 and 2013. As a redshirt freshman in 2011 Garcia chipped in at tight end before flipping back to nose tackle in 2012. A torn ACL in 2010 as a true freshman sidelined him for the season.
Given that Garcia has suffered one torn ACL as a freshman and could miss a full season this year, it may be worth filing a medical waiver to the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility. The NCAA has a decent track record of honoring a waiver under these conditions. There is no word yet on whether or not Garcia or Wake Forest will pursue a waiver at this time.
Not surprisingly, one member of the Boston College football team is being sent off on a forced sabbatical.
Monday, BC announced that Troy Flutie has been indefinitely suspended from the program. The move came a few hours after his arrest on alcohol-related charges was made public.
After hitting a curb with a vehicle very early Saturday morning, Flutie was ultimately arrested and charged with operating a vehicle under the influence of liquor, possession of an open container of liquor while driving and being a person younger than 21 in possession of liquor. He was also issued a citation for a marked lanes violation.
The school said that the quarterback/wide receiver faces “additional university sanctions pending the outcome of the court proceedings” as well.
Flutie began his BC career as a quarterback and, after redshirting as a true freshman, played in eight games in 2015. He completed 24-of-49 passes for three touchdowns and an interception during his limited action. Because of injuries at the position, Flutie was one of four Eagles quarterbacks to attempt at least 42 passes last season.
This spring, Flutie,the son of former BC wide receiver Darren Flutie and nephew of 1984 Heisman winner Doug Flutie, was moved to wide receiver.
While Walter Tucker has left Miami, it doesn’t appear he’l be leaving the state of Florida.
On social media over the weekend, Walter Tucker, by way of Matt Porter of Palm Beach Post, has indicated that he will continue his collegiate playing career at FIU. That football program has not announced one way or the other the fullback’s connection to the football program.
In his Instagram post, Tucker, in addition to revealing his father has cancer, posted a photo of himself superimposed over FIU’s football stadium as well as the hashtags “#FIUNATION,” “#PANTHERNATION.” and “#PANTHERPRIDE.”
It’s unclear if Tucker would be eligible to play immediately in 2016 with the Panthers.
Tucker played in 32 games the past three seasons, mainly on special teams. He carried the ball three times for eight yards in 2015, and caught one pass for eight yards the year before.
In February, new Hurricanes head coach Mark Richt announced that Tucker had decided to transfer from The U.
A couple of months before the start of summer camp, Nebraska is in the market for some interior line help.
According to a report from HuskerOnline.com, Stevie Tu’ikolovatu visited Lincoln over the weekend as he continues his search for a new football home. Tu’ikolovatu had decided very recently to transfer out of the Utah football program.
Tu’ikolovatu would provide immediate help to the ‘Huskers as he would be coming in as a graduate transfer.
Last season with the Utes, Tu’ikolovatu played in all 13 games, starting two of those contests. His four fumble recoveries were tied for the lead in the Pac-12 and second nationally.
How about some excellent news for a change?
Late Monday afternoon, Pittsburgh running back James Conner tweeted out the words he’s been waiting months to say: “Just got the call that my body is clean of cancer!!!” The news comes five months after Conner revealed that he had been diagnosed with Stage 2 Hodgkin’s lymphoma in his neck and chest.
It also comes less than two weeks after the back completed his chemotherapy treatments.
The treatment hadn’t kept Conner completely away from the Panthers, however, as the running back was seen on video working out with teammates last month while he has been doing some individuals drills since the start of spring practice this month. He’s also gotten the “celebrity treatment” during his battle as the back threw out the first pitch at a Pittsburgh Pirates game and made an appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.
Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi said earlier this offseason that he expects Conner to play in 2016.
As a sophomore, Conner was named the ACC’s Player of the Year in 2014. He was fully expected to leave for the NFL following the 2015 season before the combination of a season-ending knee injury suffered in September and the cancer diagnosis prompted a return to Pitt.
UPDATED 7:47 p.m. ET: Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi released a statement addressing Conner’s positive medical update.
Over the past six months, James Conner fought cancer the same way he plays football: relentlessly and without surrender. He has inspired and touched so many people in how he has handled this challenge. James is an incredibly special person, and I’m not even thinking about his football ability when I say that. Everyone at Pitt feels blessed to know him and we are tremendously thankful for the wonderful news he received today.