UCLA defensive back Marcus Rios returned to the practice field this week after missing the 2013 season. Rios was not sidelined due to a torn ACL or a back problem or any other injury you may associate with football. Rios missed the 2013 season due to a fungus infection that required medical attention.
The infection started out as a sinus infection, but doctors soon discovered the infection had spread behind his ears and underneath his brain. Fortunately for Rios, the treatment did not require surgery but his 2013 season was put on ice. Today, feeling lucky to be alive, Rios is ready to focus on football.
“I haven’t been out here for about two years,” Rios said in a story by the Los Angeles Times. “I have been thinking about it for a very long time. I took a moment, took it in and was ready to go.”
Rios returned to the practice field on Monday.
“I am blessed to be alive,” Rios said. “I’m just ready to play ball again.”
Do not expect Rios to waste this opportunity. He may not be a starter, but he should be able to secure a valuable spot on the depth chart this fall. Rios was a four-star recruit out of high school in the Class of 2012 according to Rivals. He played in eight games as a freshman, recording three tackles.
If there was one player Rutgers may not have been able to afford to lose this season, it was Janarion Grant. Unfortunately for Rutgers, Grant has indeed ben lost for the season due to an ankle injury suffered Saturday in a home loss against Iowa.
Grant injured his right ankle on Saturday and returned to the Rutgers sideline on crutches later in the game. That was an ominous sign itself, but Rutgers head coach Chris Ash confirmed the unfortunate news on Monday when addressing the media. Ash did not reveal the specific details of Grant’s injury, but confirming he will miss the rest of the season is a pretty tough pill to swallow for the entire Rutgers program.
Rutgers will look to petition for an extra year of eligibility for Grant.
But wait, there’s more injury news for Rutgers. Ash also announced defensive end Quanzell Lambert will be out for the remainder of the 2016 season due to a knee injury.
Texas has suspended senior offensive guard Kent Perkins for one game after he was arrested for a DWI charge last week.
The suspension will be served during Texas’ next game this weekend against Big 12 opponent Oklahoma State. The Cowboys have lost two out of the last three games, including last weekend’s game at Baylor to drop to 0-1 in Big 12 play to start the season.
The loss of Perkins for one game is a blow to the Texas offensive line, as he is one of the most experienced players in the trenches for the Longhorns. He has started 26 games, with all 26 coming on the right side of the offensive line.
Alex Anderson and Jake McMillon are expected to fill the vacancy at right guard this weekend and Perkins is expected to return to the field next week.
One of the great traditions college football has to offer is when an Ohio State senior sousaphone player parades out to “dot the ‘i'” in The Best Damn Band In The Land’s signature pregame show. On a rare occasion, the honor of completing the script goes to a very special guest. On Saturday, that honor will be given to former Buckeyes head coach Earle Bruce.
“I was floored… I couldn’t believe it,” Bruce said to WTVN in response to the news of the special invite. “I always like to talk about the band. The band is so great.”
A total of 13 people have had the privilege of being the special guest to perform the final piece of Ohio State’s patented pregame routine. He will be the second former Ohio State coach to do so, joining Woody Hayes. Other notable people to have the honor include John Glenn, Jack Nicklaus, and Bob Hope. Perhaps one day Jim Tressel will join the list of special guests.
Bruce was a big influence for current Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer. Meyer was a graduate assistant under Bruce from 1986 through 1987.
Helmet sticker to Eleven Warriors.
LSU opened up a high-profile head coaching vacancy on Sunday by removing head coach Les Miles as the head of the football program. As Miles was shown the door, the list of possible candidates started popping up just about everywhere you might look. Names like Houston’s Tom Herman and Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher have been popular and trendy, but not so much for Stanford head coach David Shaw.
Asked about the new opening in Baton Rouge, Shaw was rather definitive in his stance.
“Are you serious? The answer is no,” Shaw said, seemingly without hesitation according to ESPN reporter David Lombardi.
It should be mentioned that it is incredibly rare for a head coach in a current position with one program would even drop a hint of interest in another position elsewhere, so keep that in mind as coaches like Herman and Fisher deny having any contact with LSU and so on during the annual coaching carousel. That said, Shaw leaving Stanford would be a pretty good shock, so we can probably take Shaw at his word here.