Myles Jack ’embarrassed’ over practice ejection

It’s not often that a star player and just-under-the-radar (for now) preseason Heisman contender gets booted from a summer camp practice, but that’s exactly what happened to Myles Jack earlier this week.

During Monday’s practice, the linebacker version of Jack slapped teammate and offensive lineman Caleb Benonoch in the helmet while taunting him. That triggered the ire of head coach Jim Mora, who promptly kicked the talented sophomore off the practice field and into the locker room.

Wednesday, Jack labeled the episode as “embarrassing,” sounding contrite as he discussed a situation that, thanks to the proliferation of instantaneous social media and sports highlights shows, blew up outside of the team and beyond what he ever could’ve imagined.

“The platform that I guess I’m on, I’ve really got to watch out what I say or do,” Jack said according to the Los Angeles Daily News. “I’ve got to be careful. I’ve got to be smart with what I say, what I do. I’ve just got to be better in that situation overall. I could have handled it a whole different way. It’s all on me. It’s all on my shoulders. …

“I didn’t expect it to be on SportsCenter and all that. I didn’t think it would be that big a deal.”

While he had to endure the wrath of his coach during it, or the slings of social media after it, arguably the roughest confrontation was a phone call from a person very, very close to him. From the Orange County Register:

His mom, La Sonjia, made sure of that. She called Jack soon after hearing and was, he said, much harsher in her criticism than his own coaches were after the incident.

You go, mom. And get that switch ready, just in case.