Chip Sarafin

‘Quite the relief’ in coming out for Sun Devils’ Sarafin


Earlier this week, Chip Sarafin, in a magazine interview, became the first active player at the FBS level to be openly gay.

For the first time since his sexuality became public knowledge Wednesday, Sarafin addressed his decision to come out with beat writers during the Sun Devils’ annual practice sessions at Camp Tontozona.

It’s quite the relief,” Sarafin said. “At first, I didn’t think it was going to blow up as much as it did, so it was very interesting in that regard. A lot of people out there are very positive about it. I’m glad it’s giving Arizona State some good, positive media attention.”

The fact that Sarafin is gay was known to his teammates for well over a year. While the lineman never addressed the entire team as a whole, he told them individually as well as small groups, eventually telling the coaching staff as well. “To be real honest with you, (this is) not an issue,” head coach Todd Graham said.

It was, though, a big — and important — issue to a lot of people all across the country.

Sarafin said he’s heard former Missouri All-SEC defensive end Michael Sam (HERE) and ex-NBA player Jason Collins (HERE) — professional athletes who have come out — have offered him words of encouragement via Twitter, although he’s yet to actually read them as Internet usage is forbidden during the Tontozona phase of camp. Despite the historic nature of his revelation, the walk-on lineman, who’s a 4.0 student who’s already earned a degree in engineering, was taken aback at the amount of attention his coming out has garnered.

“It (coming out) was something I initially intended to do, but I didn’t intend for it to blow out of proportion like it did,” he said. “I originally did it to get some of the stuff I was working on out into the world, bring attention to some of the issues I thought were important. Obviously, it got to the magnitude that it did and I support this.”

In the end, Sarafin’s hopes align with the hopes of myriad people: that, in the not-too-distant future, stories like this one aren’t stories at all.

“I’m hoping that stuff like this won’t be such a big news story, that people will hear stories like this and it won’t be such a big thing,” Sarafin said. “Eventually, players will be who they are and it’s just that, but right now there still needs to be role models for those types of players.”

(Photo credit: Arizona State athletics)

Dismissed Wolverine Logan Tuley-Tillman charged with three felonies

Logan Tuley-Tillman
Michigan Athletics

Back on September 10, it was announced that Jim Harbaugh had dismissed Logan Tuley-Tillman for “conduct unacceptable for a Michigan student-athlete.”  Now we know what that unacceptable conduct was.  Allegedly.

Wednesday morning, is reporting, Tuley-Tillman was charged with three felonies stemming from a Sept. 4 incident in which he’s accused of filming a sex act with a woman without her knowledge. Tuley-Tillman was officially charged with two counts of capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person and one count of using a computer to commit a crime.

From the report:

Capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person is punishable by up to two years in prison, a fine of no more than $2,000, or both. Using a computer to commit a crime, in this case, would be punishable by up to 10 years in prison, a fine of no more than $5,000, or both.

The incident occurred in the 300 block of Catherine Street Sept. 4. Tuley-Tillman is accused of filming a portion of a sexual encounter with a woman without her knowledge and then transmitting it to his personal device without her permission, according to Ann Arbor police.

Tuley-Tillman was a four-star member of Brady Hoke‘s second-to-last UM recruiting class, rated as the No. 24 offensive tackle in the country and the No. 7 player at any position in the state of Illinois.  He played in one game as a redshirt freshman last season, the season opener against Appalachian State.

This season, he had been listed as the No. 2 left tackle and played in the 2015 opener.

WVU loses All-Big 12 DB Karl Joseph to season-ending knee injury

MORGANTOWN, WV - SEPTEMBER 29:  Karl Joseph #8 of the West Virginia Mountaineers tackles Jarred Salubi #21 of the Baylor Bears during the game on September 29, 2012 at Mountaineer Field in Morgantown, West Virginia.  WVU defeated Baylor 70-63.  (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

One of the most talented players on the defensive side of the ball not only in the Big 12 but in the country has seen his season come to an abrupt end.

West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen announced Tuesday that Karl Joseph will miss the remainder of the 2015 season because of an injury to his right knee.  The hard-hitting safety sustained the injury in a non-contact drill during practice Tuesday.

The injury also marks the end of Joseph’s collegiate playing career as he’s off to the NFL next spring.

“I am devastated and heartbroken for Karl,” Holgorsen said in a statement. “He is a young man who has given everything he has to our football program and University over the past four years and who elected to return to WVU for his senior season to earn his degree and to be a part of something special with this team. He exemplifies what it means to be a Mountaineer. Karl is an All-American, a fierce competitor, a leader and I know he will have a full recovery, and I can’t wait to watch him on Sundays next fall.”

Joseph started all 42 games in which he played for the Mountaineers. He was first-team All-Big 12 last season, and his name littered numerous preseason All-American teams this year.

“I want to thank my teammates and my coaches for their outpouring of support,” Joseph said. “This has been difficult for me and my family but I know I will come through this stronger than ever. I will forever be a Mountaineer and will be cheering on our team every step of the way.”