Whatever Michigan running back Derrick Green has done over the course of the last week in fall camp was apparently working. A week ago Green was being considered the third running back in the mix at Michigan, but he begins this week on top of the pile as Michigan’s number one running back. What will the next week have lined up for the running back battle in Ann Arbor?
A week ago it was suggested by Michigan head coach Brady Hoke that Drake Johnson and De’Veon Smith were No. 1 and No. 1-A on the depth chart, with Green locked in at number two behind them. Perhaps Hoke was using his voice in the media to light a fire under Green, a five-star running back recruit in Michigan’s Class of 2013. Hoke updated the running back situation with the media following a scrimmage over the weekend, which saw Green getting time with the first team offense over both Johnson and Smith.
“Going into it, Derrick was No. 1, yes,” Hoke said, per MLive.com. “I think No. 1a was De’Veon. And I think Drake can help us a bunch.”
So, what changed? Michigan offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier has been focusing on pass protection out of the running backs this offseason, and that has been an area in need of improvement heading into the fall for the Wolverines. If Green has been able to show some potential in pass blocking with his 5′ 11″, 220 pound frame to help give quarterback Devin Gardner some time to breathe, it could be helping to improve his standing on the depth chart.
It should be noted the Michigan running back situation is not locked in place just yet. Hoke and his staff will continue to evaluate their options. If this much could change in one week, why could it not see things mixed up again over the course of the next week? The time to start game planning is now though, with the season just around the corner. Michigan could find ways to utilize all of their running back options as well.
Michigan will open the 2014 season next week at home against Appalachian State.
Finally, a personnel attrition post on this late-June Sunday that doesn’t involve Baylor.
In mid-May, wide receiver Ryan Sousa announced via Twitter that he had decided to transfer out of the Florida football program, and ultimately landed at FCS Southern Illinois. A little over six weeks later, a fellow Gator receiver has apparently made a similar decision, with Scout.com reporting that Alvin Bailey will leave Jim McElwain‘s squad.
No reason was given for the receiver’s decision, although the recruiting website has an idea as to why.
The Gators added five receivers in the 2016 recruiting class, three of which were on campus in the spring. Junior college transfer Dre Massey seemed to pull ahead of Bailey in the month long practices held between March and April.
The school has declined to address Bailey’s status with the football program.
Bailey was a four-star member of UF’s 2013 recruiting class, rated as the No. 22 receiver in the country. The production never quite matched the recruiting pedigree, though, with Bailey catching three passes for 49 years in his career in Gainesville. All of those stats came during the 2015 season.
Yep, another post revolving around a now-former Baylor football player.
One of five 2016 BU signees to receive a release from their National Letter of Intent, Kameron Martin took his first visit to a potential destination with a trip to Auburn Friday. In short order, he will take a visit to TCU as well.
“Probably Tuesday,” the running back told al.com, he will make a decision between the Tigers and Horned Frogs.
“(TCU) said I can be an impact player right away,” Martin told the website. “Auburn showed me a lot of love and treated me like family. That’s kind of what I like. I want to go somewhere where they treat me like family. … Auburn was about business, so we’ll see if TCU can show me a good time.”
A four-star 2016 signee according to 247Sports.com, the 5-10, 178-pound Johnson was rated as the No. 7 all-purpose back in the country; the No. 39 player at any position in the state of Texas; and the No. 268 player overall on that recruiting website’s composite board.
As is the case with other 2016 Bears signees who have fled Waco, Johnson will be eligible to play immediately in 2016 whether he lands at Auburn or TCU.
“Baylor Attrition Day” here at CFT continues, although this one has nothing to do with a 2016 signee.
According to a report from Rivals.com affiliate SicEmSports, Chris Johnson has decided to leave Baylor and transfer into the Houston football program. The same website is reporting that the Bears gave the erstwhile quarterback a release from his scholarship.
Johnson will be graduating from BU this summer, thus making himself immediately eligible to play for the Cougars in 2016. Not only that, but he will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Thanks to a rash of injuries at the position, Johnson started two games for the Bears at quarterback in 2015 before he too sustained an injury. He returned to start BU’s bowl win over North Carolina, but changed positions this spring and was listed as a wide receiver/tight end on his official BU profile. At least in the beginning, he’s expected to continue in a receiving role with the Cougars.
This past week, Texas confirmed four-star 2016 Baylor signee Devin Duvernay had joined Charlie Strong‘s football program, just a couple of days after BU announced five 2016 signees had been granted releases from their National Letters of Intent. Shortly after that, another 2016 BU signee, offensive lineman J.P. Urquidez, revealed via Twitter that he too will be moving on to the Longhorns.
Now, another has migrated from Waco to Austin.
According to a report from ESPN.com, Donovan Duvernay has committed to play his college football for Texas. This Duvernay is the twin brother of Devan Duvernay.
The wide receiver will be eligible to play for the Longhorns in 2016.
A three-star member of the Bears’ 2016 recruiting class, Duvernay was rated as the No. 61 athlete in the country and the No. 113 player at any position in the state of Texas.