Saban still waiting for a QB to ‘take the bull by the horns’


As has been the case since the spring, and especially since the Florida State transfer arrived, Alabama remains the most high-profile FBS team with an open and undecided quarterback competition. And, it appears, that will remain the case for the foreseeable future.

Just 10 days before the opener, neither Jacob Coker, the presumptive favorite, nor Blake Sims, AJ McCarron‘s backup in 2013, have pulled away from the other. Head coach Nick Saban, new offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin and the rest of the offensive staff are awaiting for it to go down, but it simply hasn’t happened yet.

And, seeing as we’re rapidly approaching opening weekend, it appears the formerly bristly Saban is getting a little anxious for someone to do just that — but not anxious enough for a premature trigger pull

“I would like to see somebody take the bull by the horns from a leadership standpoint, a consistency standpoint and win the job here sometime,” the coach said following practice Tuesday. “But we’re not going to make a decision until somebody does that.”

So, what if neither Coker nor Sims grabs the bull by the, uh, throat, before the opener against West Virginia? The Tide could very well be prepared to party like its 2011 under center. From

If that doesn’t happen, Alabama could very well play both Sims and Coker against West Virginia much like it did in 2011, when AJ McCarron and Phillip Sims split time in the season opener.

McCarron, of course, went on to grab hold of — eventually — the starting job for not only the 2011 season but the next two years as well. Saban can only hope that, eventually, either Coker or Sims does the same.

“One day one guy plays really well and you say, ‘Well, that looks like that might be it.’ And the next day the other guy plays really well,” Saban said. “I think the good news is we have two guys that I would feel very comfortable playing.”

Perhaps, comfortable enough to even play both in the same game depending on how the next week and a half goes.

Starting LB C.J. Johnson reveals surgery on social media, Ole Miss confirms

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Ole Miss will be without a starting piece of its defensive puzzle for an extended period of time, both the player and the school revealed Tuesday.

With rumors swirling about his condition, C.J. Johnson confirmed on his personal Twitter account late this morning that he will be undergoing surgery at some point in the not-too-distant future.  The linebacker sustained an injury to his left knee in last Saturday’s loss to Florida and did not return to the contest.

Subsequent to that posting, Ole Miss confirmed that Johnson underwent surgery earlier in the day to repair a torn meniscus in his knee.  The procedure and rehab will sideline Johnson for a period of 4-6 weeks.

At the low-end of the prognosis, Johnson would miss the next four games — New Mexico State, Memphis, Texas A&M, Auburn — and return for the Nov. 7 game against Arkansas.  The high-end would have him sidelined until the regular-season finale against Mississippi State.

Johnson had started all five games at middle linebacker for the Rebels.  He started 26 games at defensive end the past three years before moving to linebacker.

Butch Jones labels rumor of ‘physical altercation’ with Vols player ‘absolutely ridiculous’

ATHENS, GA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Head coach Butch Jones of the Tennessee Volunteers yells at Marquez North #8 during the game against the Georgia Bulldogs at Sanford Stadium on September 27, 2014 in Athens, Georgia.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Already in the crosshairs for his 2-3 team’s late-game failures, Butch Jones now finds himself under increasing scrutiny for something that allegedly happened a couple of months ago.

The website, which features such respected journalists Tony Barnhart and Mike Huguenin among others, reported earlier today that the Tennessee head coach was involved in what was described as a “physical altercation” with senior offensive lineman Mack Crowder during summer camp this past August.  The source close to the program added that practice film that day captured the alleged incident, although it’s unclear if that tapes still exists.

From the site’s report:

The incident occurred during fall camp, about the time that news started to come out about a few offensive linemen who were considering stepping away from the program. Crowder walked off the practice field one day and missed a day or two of practice, and Brett Kendrick and Dylan Wiesman were said to be contemplating their futures. Sources say the players’ actions stemmed from an incident between Jones and Crowder.

The website also made a Freedom of Information request seeking any correspondence between the university and the Crowder family be turned over, but writes that UT “administrators said any sort of letter or correspondence that may or may not have happened was covered under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.”

Monday, Jones labeled what began as message-board speculation that he had struck one of his Vols players as “absolutely ridiculous.” The Knoxville News Sentinel contacted Crowder’s father, with the paper writing that “he had no comment and did not want to give validation to message boards.”

At least publicly, the university has yet to address the allegations.  Jones will get yet another chance to address the speculation with the media in the very near future.