Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl - Fresno State v USC

Report: USC doubted Shaw’s story from beginning

8 Comments

The fallout from an alleged act of heroism continues, with additional details slowly beginning to emerge.

Citing a source within the USC athletic department, USA Today‘s David Leon Moore is reporting “that a number of department officials spoke to [Josh] Shaw about his rescue story and expressed skepticism about it.” Shaw recently suffered what’s described as a pair of high-ankle sprain, which he told the school he incurred after jumping from a second-floor balcony to save his seven-year-old nephew from drowning.

The news surfaced thanks to the football program’s official website touting the act of bravery with a splashy headline and story below it. If there was doubt as to the veracity of Shaw’s story, why would a website affiliated with the school play up such a version when they knew it would go national and become huge news?

This report comes less than a day after multiple reports coming out of Los Angeles have established that a “Josh Shaw” could be wanted for potential questioning in connection to a possible break-in at an apartment a few miles from campus. It has not been determined that the Shaw in question is USC’s Shaw, although witness descriptions seem to fit.

Following practice Wednesday, head coach Steve Sarkisian again addressed the situation. After originally saying that the program was in the process of vetting Shaw’s story, Sarkisian now says he’s handed off that responsibility.  From the Los Angeles Times:

“It’s pretty clear there’s quite a few conflicting stories out there. Any information that we’ve been provided up to this point we’ve pushed along to campus authorities. We’re really going to let it play out in their hands. And quite honestly we’re in somewhat of a holding pattern so that’s where we’re at.”

When asked if he meant administrative officials or legal officials on campus, Sarkisian said, “Everything above me. In this day and age of college football and head coaches responsibility, I’d be foolish not to push everything up the ladder. And you know, I think we learned that a few years ago with a couple other high-profile coaches, so everything I’ve ever done when things come across my desk is to push them to campus authorities and let them do their due diligence. Then when things come back to me I can comment on them. But until then I don’t really have much to say on it.”

For the first time since the events unfolded, Trojan players were permitted to speak to the media.  Or, more specifically, defensive players Leonard Williams and Hayes Pullard.  Both players said they have not yet spoken to their beleaguered teammate, with the former stating that the team is “shocked” over the developments.

“All the players were just running into each other just asking what’s going on with the story, if its real or not, that’s all we really know. We were pretty shocked because Josh Shaw is a pretty loyal guy since he’s been here. I would never expect him to make up a story or something like that. So if it’s real or not … I would never expect him as a captain to be in that situation.”

Football-wise, Shaw, a starter, will be sidelined indefinitely because of the injuries he incurred… however he incurred them.

ECU transfer Kurt Benkert wins Virginia’s starting QB job

In this photo taken Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2015 East Carolina quarterback Kurt Benkert rolls out to pass during NCAA college football practice in Greenville, N.C. (AP Photo/Gerry Broome)
Associated Press
2 Comments

Four months ago, Kurt Benkert was one the losing end of a quarterback competition at East Carolina.  Fastforward to today, and he’s now the trigger man in a Power Five offense.

First-year Hoos head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced Wednesday that Benkert will start the season opener against Richmond.  Benkert had been involved in a competition that included returning starter Matt Johns and Texas/Arizona transfer Connor Brewer.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Benkert came to the Cavaliers as a graduate transfer, but is not a one-year stop-gap as he has two years of eligibility remaining.

Named the Pirates’ starter in early August of 2015, Benkert sustained a right knee injury a couple of weeks later that knocked him out for the entire season.  Blake Kemp took over and kept a stranglehold on the starting job through spring practice this year, triggering Benkert’s decision to move on.

Benkert has attempted 10 passes in his collegiate career, all in 2014.

In starting all 12 games for the Cavaliers last season, Johns’ 2,810 passing yards were third in school history while his 20 touchdowns were tied for fourth.  His 17 interceptions, though, were the most of any FBS quarterback in 2015.

Cassius Peat granted release by Mich. St., appears headed to JUCO

COLLEGE PARK, MD - NOVEMBER 15:  A Michigan State Spartans helmet on the bench during a college football game against the Maryland Terrapins at Byrd Stadium on November 15, 2014 in College Park, Maryland.  The Spartans won 37-15.  (Photo by Mitchell Layton/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Earlier this month, Mark Dantonio stated that Michigan State was giving Cassius Peat “an opportunity to work on his academics and get himself in order” as his status with the program was “in flux.”

A week or so later?  He gone.

MSU confirmed Wednesday that Peat has been granted a release from his scholarship and will transfer from the Spartans.  And, in fact, the defensive lineman may have already found a new home, one at the junior college level.

Peat, initially a UCLA commit, was a three-star 2015 recruit who was rated as the No. 3 player at any position in the state of Arizona.  He took a redshirt as a true freshman, and had been listed as the No. tackle heading into summer camp.

However, according to mlive.com, Peat did not report for camp amidst his academic issues.

Ex-Oregon St. DB goes home to LaTech as grad transfer

LOS ANGELES, CA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Running back Justin Davis #22 of the USC Trojans is defended by safety Cyril Noland-Lewis #17 of the Oregon State Beavers in the second half at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on September 27, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. USC defeated Oregon State 35-10.  (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

A week after transferring from Oregon State, Cyril Noland-Lewis has found a new home that happens to also double as his hometown.

The Ruston News Star, among others, has reported that Noland-Lewis is transferring into the Louisiana Tech football program.  As he is coming to Tech as a graduate transfer, he will be eligible to play for the Bulldogs in 2016, his final season of eligibility.

The defensive back, who went to high school in Ruston, was at the Bulldogs’ practice Tuesday as Tech continues preparations for the season opener Sept. 3 against Arkansas.

Noland-Lewis started 10 games for the Beavers last season.  Six of those starts came as a safety, the others as the nickel corner.  OSU moved Noland-Lewis to cornerback this offseason, where he ultimately found himself buried on the depth chart in summer camp.

The 6-0, 198-pound fifth-year senior, who began his OSU career as a linebacker, played in a total of 37 games during his time in Corvallis.

Tyler Rodgers, NMSU’s starting QB, arrested on battery charge

BATON ROUGE, LA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Tyler Rogers #18 of the New Mexico State Aggies drops back to pass against the LSU Tigers during the first quarter of a game at Tiger Stadium on September 27, 2014 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It’s not been a good day for a couple of starting quarterbacks at Group of Five programs.

The Las Cruces Sun-News has reported that New Mexico State’s Tyler Rogers turned himself in last Friday on a warrant that had been issued for him Aug. 14.  The junior was booked on one count of misdemeanor charge of battery against a household member.

The alleged victim is Rogers’ girlfriend. A verbal altercation at a party allegedly turned physical in a vehicle later on. When police arrived, the woman, who was initially crying, “downplayed the incident and said that it wasn’t really anything and that the altercation did not get physical and didn’t consider Mr. Rogers grabbing her arm as being a physical altercation.”

The woman decided against completing a domestic violence supplement report, and, according to the Sun-News, it’s unclear if the woman is cooperating with police.

“I was very disappointed in hearing the news but we are in the information gathering stage,” NMSU athletic director Mario Moccia said in a statement. “These are allegations that we take very seriously and we look forward to getting as much detail as possible so the university can be informed and the athletic department can make an informed decision moving forward.”

Because “it is a misdemeanor, there isn’t a suspension coming forth right now,” head coach Doug Martin said.

Rogers has started 15 games the past two seasons for the Aggies.