First Penn State saw its bowl ban rescinded ahead of schedule. Now the same can be said of its conference bowl revenue as well.
In a press release Thursday morning, Penn State announced that the Big Ten’s Council of Presidents/Chancellors has decided to restore the school’s share of the conference bowl revenues for the upcoming football season (2015-16). In connection to the historic NCAA sanctions levied on the football program in connection to the Jerry Sandusky scandal, the Big Ten originally announced that PSU would be stripped of its bowl revenue for a period of four years beginning in 2012-13 and ending in 2015-16.
The move cost the athletic department at least $5 million for the 2014-15 bowl cycle — and likely substantially more given Ohio State’s run to the College Football Playoff title. The previous two years, the department lost in the neighborhood of $5 million combined.
Additionally, the $2.6 million the school received in bowl revenue for the 2011-12 bowl cycle — the Sandusky scandal broke in November of 2011 — was donated by the university to child-abuse organizations. All of PSU’s revenue collected by the Big Ten, incidentally, were divided equally among the conference membership, and was then distributed to similar child-abuse organizations by the individual schools.
“We are grateful to the Big Ten and the Council of Presidents and Chancellors for their decision to restore Penn State’s share of the Conference bowl revenues to the University in the upcoming football season,” said Penn State President Eric Barron in a statement. “These funds will help to support our 31 teams and more than 850 student-athletes.
“While we are pleased with the decision, we will not waver in our commitment to prevent child abuse, to maintain our leading compliance and safety programs, and to continue to invest in our teaching and research efforts focused on child abuse prevention and treatment.”
The Big Ten’s decision comes a month or so after it was announced that 11 wins had been restored to Joe Paterno‘s career mark, wins that had been stripped as part of the Sandusky sanctions. The NCAA had previously restored scholarships to the football program and reduces the program’s bowl ban that had been a part of the original sanctions.
After a run on bringing in assistants from Boone, Eli Drinkwitz has gotten about the business of retention in Columbia.
In a press release, Missouri confirmed that Drinkwitz has decided to retain Brick Haley as part of his first coaching staff with the football program. Haley wil continue on as the Tigers’ defensive line coach, and will carry the title of assistant head coach as well.
“In my short time of being around Brick I know him to be a man of high character who gets the most out of his players,” said Drinkwitz in a statement. “His wealth of knowledge with the defensive line is exactly what we’re looking for to motivate young men.”
Haley has spent the past three seasons with the Tigers. Prior to that, he was the line coach at Texas (2015-16), LSU (2009-14) and Mississippi State (2004-06) at the collegiate level.
From 2007-08, Haley was the line coach for the NFL’s Chicago Bears.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity to continue at Mizzou and I’m excited to work with Coach Drink and his staff,” said Haley. “Our family loves Mizzou and being part of the Columbia community, so we’re thrilled to keep stakes in the ground here and I’m looking forward to getting to work on doing great things.”
It seems Alex Hornibrook‘s college career is complete.
Florida State interim head coach Odell Haggins said on Saturday that Hornibrook is no longer with the Seminoles as the club prepares for the Sun Bowl
He will join (former) teammate Cam Akers in that regard.
A graduate transfer from Wisconsin, Hornibrook appeared in five games this season. His peak as a Seminole came on Sept. 28, when he completed 29-of-40 passes for 316 yards with three touchdowns and no picks. For the year, Hornibrook hit 84-of-122 throws for 986 yards with seven scores versus two picks.
In three years at Wisconsin, Hornibrook threw for 5,438 yards and 47 touchdowns.
SMU wide receiver Reggie Roberson, Jr., will return for his senior season in 2020, he announced earlier this week.
Roberson did so through a statement that at first read as if he would leave the Hilltop. “In the past couple of weeks, it has come to my attention that I am able to forgo my senior year and enter the NFL draft. I want to thank Coach Dykes for giving me the opportunity to come to SMU, and play the game I love in my hometown in front of my family and friends,” it began.
However, like a a classic Roberson open field move, he quickly changed directions and sprinted toward opportunity. “I have decided to come back and play my senior year at SMU. There is a lot of unfinished business that I left on the field that I need to take care of next season.”
A native of DeSoto, Texas, just south of Dallas, Roberson was one of SMU’s top players before he was lost to a foot injury in October. He caught 11 passes for 180 yards in the Ponies’ opening week win over Arkansas State and hauled in eight passes for 250 yards and three touchdowns in a 45-21 drubbing of Temple on Oct. 19.
For the year, Roberson caught 43 passes for 803 yards and six touchdowns over seven-plus games. Spread over a 13-game season, he was on pace to end the year in the neighborhood of 80 receptions for 1,500 yards and 11 touchdowns.
Roberson originally signed with West Virginia out of high school.
It’s become A Thing ever since Christian McCaffrey bailed on Stanford for that Sun Bowl: Draft eligible players announcing whether or not their prep for the next level begins for or after their team’s upcoming bowl game.
For Utah running back Zack Moss, that will begin after the Alamo Bowl.
“I just wanted to play with my guys,” Moss told KSL Sports. “That was one of the reasons why I wanted to come back was to play with these guys and I definitely want to finish it off. I am healthy enough to play and that’s exactly what I want to do.
“I love this team, I love the program, coaching, fans and community, so why not give everyone one last game.”
Moss’s teammate Jaylon Johnson previously announced he will skip the game.
The senior will look to polish off a career in which he’s carried for 4,010 yards and 38 touchdowns.
No. 11 Utah will close the career of Moss and backfield mate Tyler Huntley opposite Texas on Dec. 31 (7:30 p.m., ESPN).