C.J. Prosise powers No. 8 Notre Dame by No. 14 Georgia Tech

19 Comments

It wasn’t supposed to be so easy. Not with so many key injuries to key players. Not with a young quarterback. Not against a Georgia Tech team that many feel will challenge for the ACC title, if not just the ACC Coastal Division.

But it was. For about 50 minutes at least.

No. 8 Notre Dame (3-0) defeated No. 14 Georgia Tech 30-22 Saturday in South Bend, with the Irish holding off a late surge from the visitors. The win will immediately leave many to validate Notre Dame as a worthy pick for the College Football Playoff, but it may be wiser to hold off on that for now. This Notre Dame team is good, and if Saturday was any indication there is a chance for them to be very good. But injuries have a way of catching up to a team eventually. They did not this time around, and head coach Brian Kelly should be respected for that. Kelly should feel fortunate to have C.J. Prosise running the football.

Prosise rushed for a game-high 198 yards and three touchdowns for the Irish. All three touchdowns came at perfect times for Notre Dame as well, with one late in the first half to give the Irish a 13-7 lead at halftime, and two more in the fourth quarter putting the game well out of reach for a Georgia Tech offense unable to get much going against Notre Dame’s solid defensive effort.

Georgia Tech did get the bulk of their yards on the ground, but the one-dimensional offense could not fool Notre Dame, who showed the kind of speed to keep up as Georgia Tech looked to spread the field on the ground.

Young quarterback DeShone Kizer showed the poise of a junior at times, completing 21 of 30 passes for 231 yards and a touchdown (he was picked off once).

It was not all happy times for Notre Dame though. Drue Tranquill’s injury after celebrating a touchdown led to him being stranded on the sideline sin the second half with the aid of crutches.

Notre Dame will host a feisty UMass squad next week. The Minutemen are an improved program this fall, but Notre Dame should be looking forward to taking a 4-0 record with them when they visit Clemson in a couple of weeks. After that comes rivalry games with Navy and USC in October.

Georgia Tech will look to get back in the win column next week in Durham, North Carolina against ACC Coastal foe Duke. Like Georgia Tech, Duke will be looking to bounce back after a loss. The Blue Devils lost at home earlier in the day to Northwestern.

Victim of alleged WKU football attack plans to file charges

Getty Images
Leave a comment

A former Western Kentucky fraternity member says he was attacked by a group of Hilltoppers football players and plans to file charges.

Jerald Armfield, an alum of WKU’s Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, told WBKO-TV he was caught in an ongoing feud between the fraternity and the football team:

“I went to the house in the best interest of the fraternity and Western as a whole to prevent any type of violence from occurring. We got up there and realized they were all hiding behind garbage cans, trees, and buildings.”

“I never in my wildest dreams thought they would attack me in the manner that they did. They all started surrounding me. One of them threw a rock at me. It was within a few seconds that one of them punched me in the face.”

“I fell down. I was kicked several times. The whole time they were beating me, I was begging them to stop, telling them I wasn’t here the night before, I had nothing to to do with it, like please stop, please stop, and they didn’t.”

Armfield said between nine and 10 people ultimately attacked him; it isn’t known for sure how many of that group are on the football team, though the program’s involvement in the incident is being investigated.

“We are aware of the allegations involving a few members of our football team,” the program said in the statement when word of the altercation broke three weeks ago. “We are cooperating fully with the authorities. However, at this time, we have not received a police report and cannot provide further comment.”

While the status of the investigation is currently unknown, Armfield told WBKO he would like it to end with multiple charges. “I made it very clear that night when the police arrived on the scene that I wanted charges pressed,” he said. “As far as I know a detective from Bowling Green Police Department has it. As it stands right now, I still want charges pressed. They need to be held accountable for what they did not only as citizens but as students at Western.”

Baylor moves to dismiss lawsuit claiming 52 rapes over 3-year period

Getty Images
3 Comments

Baylor has filed a motion to dismiss a lawsuit claiming 31 football players committed 52 rapes over a 3-year period from 2011-14. The school is citing the expiration of the statute of limitations and that the allegations do not meet the level of “deliberate indifference,” according to the Waco Tribune-Herald.

The suit was initially filed in late January who anonymously claimed she was raped by then-Bears football players Tre'Von Armstead and Shaymichael Chatman in 2013. Armstead and Chatman have both been indicted for that incident. Armstead was arrested earlier this month in Las Vegas in charges of resisting arrest in addition to the 2013 case.

Baylor also challenged the suit’s claim of a widespread culture of sexual violence, including claims the Baylor Bruins hostess program was encouraged to sleep with recruits in order to entice them to Baylor.

“Baylor does not agree with or concede the accuracy of plaintiff’s 146-paragraph complaint and its immaterial and inflammatory assertions,” the motion states.

Former offensive coordinator Kendal Briles told a recruit, according to the suit, “Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor and they love football players.”

 

Mark Dantonio breaks silence to reveal additional player suspensions

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mark Dantonio broke his silence Tuesday to talk about all the things he couldn’t talk about.

Speaking publicly for the first time since National Signing Day, Dantonio said more players have been suspended in addition to the three players and one staff member already suspended in connection with an ongoing sexual assault investigation. There are actually three investigations ongoing — a criminal probe, a Title IX investigation and an outside evaluation of the football program.

How many additional  players were suspended in conjunction with the investigations? Dantonio couldn’t say.

When were they suspended? Dantonio couldn’t say.

When were the original three players suspended? Dantonio couldn’t say.

How, one may wonder, has Michigan State managed to keep the suspended players’ identities secret despite spring practice now being a full month old? Easy: the Spartans have essentially shielded a black cloak around the entire program. The media hasn’t been allowed to watch practice. No depth charts or rosters have been released. No photos or videos have been produced. The content on @MSU_Football has vaguely referred to the ongoing spring practices by referencing the April 1 spring game, but all other tweets have centered around Michigan State’s involvement in the NFL Draft or the basketball Spartans’ NCAA Tournament berth. The program didn’t even comment on two players’ announced transfers throughout the offseason.

Dantonio even deemed it “trivial” to discuss Michigan State’s quarterback derby. The one piece of actual Spartans football news Dantonio revealed? Linebacker Drake Martinez, he of the one tackle in two appearances last season, has transferred.

Greg Sankey releases statement against Arkansas guns-at-sporting events law

Getty Images
2 Comments

The state of Arkansas has passed a law that allows concealed-carry handguns on publicly-owned property, which would include college sporting events.

Since it was realized immediately upon the bill’s announcement what a terrible, horrendous idea allowing lubed-up sports fans to bring handguns with them to the game would be, the law was quickly amended to exclude college sporting events.

But on Tuesday, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey released a statement arguing for Razorbacks events to be exempted from the law.

To date, Arkansas AD Jeff Long and head football coach Bret Bielema have yet to comment on the law, and Sankey’s statement today is likely coordinated with that — pushing the buck upwards while not crossing those in the Natural State that may be in favor of the bill.