Getty Images

And then there were two: undefeated Toledo upended by NIU

9 Comments

Entering Week 9 this past Saturday, there were four unbeaten Group of Five teams.  Three days later as Week 10 officially kicked off, that number has been sliced in half.

Trailing by one at halftime and without their starting quarterback and a starting wide receiver for the entire second half, Northern Illinois outscored previously-unbeaten Toledo 16-10 over the last two quarters to hand the homestanding Rockets a 32-27 win.  The Tuesday night affair was the Huskies’ sixth consecutive win over the Rockets.

A field goal early in the fourth quarter stretched UT’s lead to a game-high eight at 27-19.  However, two NIU touchdowns over the last 9:27, the last coming with 1:59 remained, nearly sealed the Rockets’ first blemish of the year.  UT had a chance to take the lead in the last two minutes, but a Phillip Ely interception on the ensuing drive officially sealed the loss.

Not only did UT suffer its first loss mere hours after appearing at No. 24 in the initial College Football Playoff rankings, but they handed control of the MAC West over to Western Michigan.  The Broncos are the only unbeaten team in the division at 4-0, while the Rockets (4-1), Central Michigan (4-1) and NIU (4-1) have one loss each.  Those four teams will play each other a handful of times over the next four weeks, so that division will likely remain muddled until the end.

With Toledo’s loss to NIU tonight and Temple’s loss to Notre Dame Saturday, there are now two unbeaten G5 teams: Memphis and Houston.  The Tigers came in at No. 13 in the initial CFP rankings, the Cougars No. 25.  Despite the loss to the Irish, the Owls cracked those rankings at No. 22.  Toledo likely won’t be that lucky as they will undoubtedly tumble out of the Top 25 when they are released next Tuesday.

Wyoming QB Josh Allen deleted Twitter off his phone following loss to Oregon

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen was one of the most heavily discussed signal-callers in the country this offseason and labeled by many as a potential No. 1 overall draft pick. Some thought he has the physical tools to transition effortlessly from the Mountain West to the NFL just like Carson Wentz.

By late September though, people are starting to hit the brakes on the hype train for the Cowboys QB and so, too, is the player himself it appears. The Associated Press published a long profile of Allen this week and one nugget seemed to jump out: following a 49-13 loss to Oregon last Saturday in which he completed just nine passes for 64 yards and an interception, the quarterback promptly deleted Twitter of his phone.

“Those guys on Twitter aren’t making draft picks and putting together teams in the NFL,” Allen said. “All I really care about is respect from my teammates and my coaches here.”

We’ve seen players delete apps or jump off social media when they face a little adversity on the field and it seems that the Wyoming star is the latest to join the bandwagon and swear off tweeting in the foreseeable future. We’ll see if it makes any difference on Saturday as his team takes on Hawaii at home to open Mountain West conference play.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby’s contract extended through 2025

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The future of the Big 12 conference still seems a little murky but one thing remains clear: commissioner Bob Bowlsby will be in charge no matter which way things go.

The league announced on Friday morning that Bowlsby’s contract was extended through 2025, keeping him at Big 12 headquarters through the next round of television negotiations and right up to the expiration date on the conference’s grant of rights.

“This is an important time for college athletics. This is an important time for the Big 12,” West Virginia President Gordon Gee, the chairman of the conference’s board of directors, said in a video statement. “To have a valiant and committed leader and someone who understands athletics as well as anyone in this country leading our conference is something that is very much important to the league and to the individual schools and I believe to college athletics.”

Bowlsby notably guided the Big 12 through on-again, off-again rounds of conference expansion the past few years and played a big role in bringing a football championship game and new tiebreaker scenarios to the league since he took over in 2012. The former Stanford and Iowa athletic director will be 73 at the end of his new contract, which is paying him right under $2.7 million a year according to USA Today.

Arkansas tailback Devwah Whaley will play against Texas A&M following “disagreement” with teammate

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Things got heated at Arkansas in the lead up to their next game and we’re not just talking about head coach Bret Bielema’s hot seat among the Razorbacks fan base either.

It appears that starting tailback Devwah Whaley was involved in what is being called a “minor disagreement” with a teammate this week at practice. While scuffles in the middle of an intense play are nothing new in football, there were a lot rumors that the running back was actually injured in the brouhaha and wouldn’t be able to take the field at AT&T Stadium on Saturday against Texas A&M.

“He’s ready to play,” the coach said on his radio show, according to Hawgs Illustrated. “How many times are 21-year-olds in a disagreement? Devwah is excited to play in the game in his home state.”

Whaley himself confirmed that he wasn’t injured and would be playing against the Aggies on Twitter:

While one side of this “disagreement” is all set to play at JerryWorld against Texas A&M, the other side is not. That’s because wide receiver Brandon Martinwho was also reportedly involved, is staying home in what Bielema labeled a previously determined decision due to his lingering hamstring injury. Either way, Razorbacks fans are probably hoping for a lot of the same fight they’ve seen this week from the team to carry over to their game on Saturday.

Banged up North Carolina down three starters after trio of season-ending injuries

Getty Images
Leave a comment

North Carolina’s injury situation has gone from bad to worse in the blink of an eye this week.

The school confirmed via their weekly injury report on Thursday night that three starters were lost for the rest of the season as linebacker Andre Smith, offensive lineman William Sweet and receiver Thomas Jackson all won’t return to action. The trio, who were not listed with a specific injury, were part of a whopping 19 players who were banged up on the report.

Smith did not play in last week’s game for the Tar Heels but it appears both Sweet and Jackson went down against Old Dominion and did not return.

“It is what it is. It’s the same old thing: The next guy has to get up, and the next guy has to play,” head coach Larry Fedora said earlier in the week. “You hope you can build some type of continuity at some point.”

The three starters join a lengthy injury list for the Tar Heels that is now up to nearly a 1/10th of the roster — nine names long — out for the year.

Defensive lineman Jalen Dalton was also ruled doubtful for UNC’s game against triangle rival Duke on Saturday, along with cornerback Corey Bell. offensive lineman Cam Dillard and Bentley Spain, as well as wideout Dazz Newsome, were all listed as questionable.