One of the darkest times in Adam Searl‘s young life has come to an end.
A spokesperson from the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office confirmed that no criminal charges will be filed against Searl in connection to two alleged sexual assaults. The Associated Press writes that the DA’s office “rejected the case on Aug. 11 for lack of evidence.”
The lawyers for Searl said in a January statement that no charges would be filed, but an investigation into the allegations made against the football player continued.
Searl had been arrested in early October of last year on three counts of rape. From the AP:
Searl, a walk-on for the Bruins, was arrested a year after another student reported that she became drunk at a party in October 2014 and blacked out, to wake up in her own nearby apartment with Searl on top of her “taking her clothes off,” according to a DA’s office charge evaluation worksheet.
The woman claimed she blacked out a total of three times but remembered part of a sexual encounter and later found three used condoms, according to the report.
Searl’s DNA was found on the condoms, the report said, but a lengthy investigation failed to find evidence to show the woman was too drunk to consent to sex. There also was some evidence indicating she led Searl to her apartment, the report said.
Another woman claimed that she was sexually assaulted by Searl in February of 2014. She didn’t come forward and go to police until she heard of Searl’s October arrest.
“Adam has maintained his innocence from the start and could not be happier to have his name finally cleared,” one of Searl’s attorneys, Mark Hathaway, said.
The Bruins indefinitely suspended Searl following his arrest, but reinstated him to the team in time for spring practice when it became clear he wouldn’t be charged.
Searl punted 11 times as a redshirt freshman in 2014. Prior to his arrest, he had punted five times in 2015 as the backup to Matt Mengel. This season, he’s expected to back up freshman Austin Kemp.