LINCOLN, NE - SEPTEMBER 22: A cheerleader waves a flag after the Nebraska Cornhuskers score against the Idaho State Bengals during their game at Memorial Stadium on September 22, 2012 in Lincoln, Nebraska. Nebraska won 73-7. (Photo by Eric Francis/Getty Images)

Nebraska announces suspension for WRs coach facing third DUI charge

At least for now, it appears Keith Williams will keep his job.  Whether he should is another matter entirely.

Last weekend, Williams was cited for driving under the influence with a BAC above .15 and careless driving following a two-car accident.  It was Williams’ third DUI charge, but first since taking over as Nebraska’s wide receivers coach.  Head coach Mike Riley subsequently confirmed the school was aware of those previous drunk-driving incidents prior to his hiring.

Friday, NU announced that Williams has been suspended without pay through Aug. 31.  Additionally, the assistant “will be prohibited from attending and coaching in the first four games of the season.”  He will, however, be permitted to be around the team and coach the players in between his game suspensions.

“Keith has initiated counseling and he has pledged to assist the department, University and greater community in educational and outreach efforts to prevent drunk driving,” Riley said in a statement. “This has been a very difficult week for Keith, for his family, for our football program and for our Husker community. Keith has admitted his error in judgment and completely recognizes the harm that he could have caused with his reckless actions. Since his arrival in Lincoln, he has been an outstanding coach, mentor and leader, and I know that Keith will work hard to move beyond this incident and to regain the trust of those he has disappointed.

“We continue to educate our student-athletes throughout the year not only on the dangers of alcohol but also on the consequences of bad decision-making and I know that the events from this weekend will serve as powerful reminder of that lesson.”

Last season was Williams’ first with the Cornhuskers.

The suspension means Williams won’t be permitted to coach games against Fresno State, Wyoming, Oregon and Northwestern.  He’ll be eligible to return to the sidelines for the Oct. 1 home game against Illinois in Lincoln.

“Words cannot fully express my deep regret and profound remorse for my actions this past weekend,” a statement from Williams began. “I want to apologize to my family, the Nebraska family, the young men in our football program, Coach Riley, Shawn Eichorst, Chancellor Green and President Bounds for any harm that I may have caused this phenomenal institution. Over the coming weeks, I plan to begin to make amends and to engage in personal counseling to assist in my journey. I understand there is no room for error for me at Nebraska and I am going to work hard every day to prove that I am worthy to represent the Huskers.”

Former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham could follow Bears OC to a new job

WACO, TX - OCTOBER 24: Jarrett Stidham #3 of the Baylor Bears runs against Darian Cotton #23 of the Iowa State Cyclones in the second half at McLane Stadium on October 24, 2015 in Waco, Texas. (Photo by Ron Jenkins/Getty Images)