CHAPEL HILL, NC - OCTOBER 9:  A view of two North Carolina Tar Heels helmets during the game against the North Carolina State Wolfpack on October 9, 2004 at Kenan Stadium Stadium in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. North Carolina defeated North Carolina State 30-24. (Photo By Grant Halverson/Getty Images)

UNC student accuses current Tar Heel football player of Valentine’s Day rape

An ugly and disturbing situation is developing in Chapel Hill.

North Carolina student Delaney Robinson claimed in both a statement and press conference held after the release of a statement that she was raped by a current Tar Heels football player  Valentine’s Day earlier this year.  It was subsequently reported that player is junior linebacker Allen Artis.

According to Robinson, she reported the alleged rape to university police as well as the university’s Title IX office.  Additionally, she went to a local hospital after the alleged rape, where evidence was collected in a rape kit.  Robinson’s father said his daughter, who has acknowledged drinking that night, immediately reported the alleged sexual assault.

Robinson and her lawyer are accusing the university as well as prosecutors of dragging their collective feet on her allegations, which is why they have gone public with her explosive claims.

“For more than six months we have asked the University and the Orange County District Attorney’s office to hold Delaney’s rapist accountable for his actions,” Robinson’s attorney, Denise W. Branch, said in a statement. “At every turn we have been met with discouragement and delay.”

Orange County DA Jim Woodall told ABC11‘s website Tuesday that the case was “investigated thoroughly.”  Artis has not been charged, nor has any punishment, at least publicly, been meted out by the football program or school.

UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham told the Raleigh News & Observer‘s Andrew Carter “in a text that athletic department is not involved in ‘university processes.” regarding sexual assault cases.”

These allegations are the latest sexual assault complaints that have the university bracing for additional federal backlash.  From the News & Observer:

UNC faces a pending federal complaint by former students and a former administrator who said the university mishandled sexual assault cases and the reporting of sex crimes.

Below is the complete text of Robinson’s initial statement:

When I entered Carolina as a freshman a little over a year ago, I was excited about new experiences, new friends, great faculty and classes. That all changed in February when I was assaulted and raped on campus.

I did not realize that rather than receiving support and concern from the University, I would only be further victimized by the people who should be working to keep us safe.

Yes, I was drinking that night on Valentine’s Day. I’m under age, and I take responsibility for that. But that doesn’t give anyone the right to violate me. I did not deserve to be raped.

My life has changed forever, while the person who assaulted me continues as a student and a football player on this campus.

After I was raped, I went to the hospital and gave an account of what I could remember to the sexual assault nurse. Then I was again quizzed by the DPS investigators, who consistently asked humiliating and accusatory questions. What was I wearing? What was I drinking? How much did I drink? How much did I eat that day? Did I lead him on? Have I hooked up with him before? Do I often have one night stands? Did I even say no? What is my sexual history? How many men have I slept with? I was treated like a suspect.

My humiliation turned to anger when I listened to the recorded interviews of my rapist by DPS. Rather than accusing him of anything, the investigators spoke to him with a tone of [sic] comradery. They provided reassurances to him when he became upset. They even laughed with him when he told them how many girls’ phone numbers he had managed to get on the same night he raped me. They told him, “don’t sweat it, just keep on living your life and playing football.”

This man raped me and the police told him not to sweat it. How can this happen? Where’s the protection for students? Why does the University not care that this rapist is free and could possibly harm another student?

And if this happened to me, who else has been hurt and been too scared to come forward? And what other cases are being swept under the rug by the University?

I did everything a rape victim is supposed to do. I reported it. I allowed the rape kit to be taken. I gave a statement. I cooperated with law enforcement and the Title IX office. But six months later the University has done nothing.

I’m taking this public stand not for me, but for the other students on campus who are not protected, despite what the University tells us. I love this University. It’s my home. I plan on graduating. But I expect the University to fulfill its promises to me and to all students.

Former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham could follow Bears OC to a new job

WACO, TX - OCTOBER 24: Jarrett Stidham #3 of the Baylor Bears runs against Darian Cotton #23 of the Iowa State Cyclones in the second half at McLane Stadium on October 24, 2015 in Waco, Texas. (Photo by Ron Jenkins/Getty Images)